“Tiny, windowless rooms unless you order deluxe. Hotel staff are very dishonest.”

Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca
Ranked #214 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We booked 3 nights at the Church Boutique Chang Gai Hotel via hotels.com, a place we had chosen based on the reviews and hotel description despite the slightly higher price in relation to nearby hotels. We arrived in Hanoi following a very long journey from Cairo which had begun at 3am the day before so we were naturally incredibly tired and looking forward to getting to our beds.

When we checked in to the hotel however, the desk clerk said that she had no record of our reservation and apologised and said that we could not stay at the hotel because it was full. We showed her our hotels.com reservation slip and informed her that not only did we have a reservation but that we had paid for it some time before travelling. She apologised for our situation and said that there was nothing that they could do to help and should phone hotels.com if we needed to complain because they had absolutely no record of our booking.

We of course pushed the point and the hotel receptionist called her reservations centre and confirmed that yes, there had indeed been a booking but that unfortunately there had been a mistake in the system so we could not stay in the hotel. She could not explain why nobody had thought to tell us about the mistake before we travelled.

They offered us either to have a full refund and walk away or to stay at another hotel. The first option was not acceptable to us as we had spent almost 2 days travelling and had never been to Hanoi so did not want to drag our suitcases to several hotels. We agreed for them to book us another hotel but the one they offered us was approximately 60% of the price we had paid and they refused to offer us a part-refund. Eventually they offered to let us stay in another hotel of the Church Boutique brand, albeit one that is cheaper and un-renovated. They said that, as an apology, would upgrade us to a Deluxe room (we had booked a premium).

We did not entirely accept this as the internet showed us that a Deluxe room at the hotel they had offered (Church boutique Hang Ga) was the same price as the premium room we had booked in Hang Gai yet in an un-renovated hotel in a not so convenient location. However, we appeared to have little alternative. We did however insist on a part-refund but the supervisor on duty refused. She said that she had no authority to issue us such a refund and only her manager could, but when we insisted that she contact her manger she would not do so and said that she was the supervisor on duty and felt that we did not deserve a refund, and that was her final decision. As we were clearly making no headway, we decided to drop the issue for now.

Upon arriving at the Hang Ga hotel, more than 2 hours after originally arriving at Hang Gai, we were shown into a tiny room with no windows. I went downstairs to complain to reception and was told by the rather nervous man at reception that I was indeed in a deluxe room. I noticed a hotel map on the wall behind him and that it showed the room we were in as a premium. He paused for an incredibly long while, and relented and admitted that he had been told to put us in a premium room by his manager because all the deluxe rooms were full. I insisted that I speak immediately with the manager, whom he called.

When his manager arrived it was in-fact the supervisor from the Hang Gai hotel whom we had spoken with earlier. I complained to her but she consistently lied to me and said that we had been put into a deluxe room as agreed. When I showed her the hotel map, she lied that the hotel had recently upgraded the room I was in to deluxe (despite it having no windows and was only slightly bigger than the bed). After 30 minutes of debate she continued to lie and said that if it would make me happy, she would move me into another deluxe room the next day. I accepted and the next day we moved to a larger room with a window and a balcony.

This treatment is clearly unacceptable from a, relatively speaking, rather expensive hotel and being lied to is not something one expects.

The church boutique Hang Ga was an okay hotel but not what we wanted nor what we paid for. The deluxe room was nice but the premium one awful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NandyPengarah
hkh hospitality e, Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your support to our Church Boutique Hotels so far.

Each of the hotels in our group always attempt to bring all the best to the customers along with the most comfortable services during the stay.
We really appreciate your comment as a precious advise to help us improve and develop more effectively, not only in the service quality but also in the working and serving attitude of the hotel's staffs.
Any positive comment is a great support to our hotels, yet any negative experience delivers us the opportunity to look at our services and products in order to be better.
According to your case, we would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review on our property, we definitely set off this situation with the entire staffs.

Again, we sincerely thanks for your residence in Church Boutique Hotels. Hope that we will have chance to welcome you in our lovely city in near future.

Best regards,

Pauline Thanh Do
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Vietnamese first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 12, 2012

When we went inside the hotel, it was really nice. The interiors of the hotel are superb. When we went inside our hotel room, we were very happy. Amenities were great. However, I would like to comment on one thing... Our ceiling lights got broken at around 11pm on our 2nd night. We had to sleep early since we needed to wake-up early for our departure to Ha Long Bay. The receptionist suggested that we move to another room just to sleep but we found it so inconvenient. So the repairman arrived and promised to fix it when we return from our Ha Long bay cruise. Sad to say, the ceiling lights were not fixed when we returned the following night after the staff and repairman promised to fix it.

Anyways, breakfast was good! We would keep in mind this hotel if we go back to Vietnam for a vacation

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marcoamboy
CBHG, General Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are honored that you have selected Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, an H&K Hospitality Management property, for your recent visit to Ha Noi. Thank you for your patronage.

Church Boutique Hotels is dedicated to providing you with the finest in personal service and amenities to enhance your vacation experience. I have noted your comments with regards to our staff responsiveness. Please be assured that all the information, which you have provided, will be used in planning ways to serve you better in the future and improve our facilities and services.

Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel was excellent in many ways. Small rooms but expected that, they were very well set out, very clean and the hotel staff were the best i have met in many a hotel. Helpful, knowledgable and friendly. Can beat this place for a short stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shaun C
CBHG, General Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Shaun,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this lovely review. Your comments and feedback on the service that you experienced while staying with us without a doubt have brought a big smile on all of us!!

It was a great pleasure welcoming you at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca an H&K Hospitality property. We are extremely grateful for your kind comments on the product, services and staff.

We hope to welcome you back to Church Boutique Hotels whenever you are in Ha Noi.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I believe this is not the best Hotel available in Hanoi, but I couldn't find anything wrong. Haven't compared it with other same class hotel, but I guess this hotel just suits me.

Location:
Located at old quarter, to be precise you can see at the map. There are plenty of road side foods, but if you afraid of those, you can find restaurant just few blocks from there. Nothing to worry about.

Room Size:
Just like another 3 stars hotel, they all have about the same size (their buildings are not really wide, but I guess for asian, this room size just good enough). Will be very packed if you add more extra bed -- if they allow you to put in --.

I didn't get a room with window facing to the road, probably it will better if you can get that. same size anyway.

Cleanliness:
Nothing to complain. It's just clean. I didn't notice any stain in room or toilet.

Aircon:
They are using in-wall air conditioning. --Nice--. And all just well. You can adjust the temp to suit your preference.

Furniture:
All look new... Modern - classy style. Love it.

- Safety box
- All toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soaps, moisturizer, tooth brush, shaver, comb, sewing kit, and others).
- Weighing scale
- Shoe cleaner
- Umbrella
- Hair dryer
- Alarm clock
- Hanger

Breakfast:
They serve a decent food, I love it in fact. Chicken soup, omelete, and other US style breakfast.

Room Tip: Pick the one with window facing road?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kebosatu
CBHG, General Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and within the tripadvisor community. We are extremely grateful for your kind comments on the product and services.

We hope to welcome you back to Church Boutique Hotel whenever you are in Ha Noi.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked this place based on the other reviews and was disappointed. While the place was well located in Old Town, our room was very very small and dark. The only "window" was to a lightwell that was so far from the first floor light source as to be a darkwell. The room was tiny, really really small. The only closet bar could accommodate only hanging shirts as even my 9 year old's dresses dragged the safe which sat on top of the mini-fridge cabinet. There were no chairs at all, only a small stool at the built in desk. No table, no place for room service trays. This was a room for sleeping, not hanging out.

Except sleeping wasn't so great because there was some sort of vent over the 2nd bed that seemed to be connected directly to the room next door. We could hear the couple there as though they were in our room, seriously--every sound, woke when they arrived back in the evening and woke them up in the morning. We could even see their light when they came in and turned it on.

The staff seemed very sweet but the front desk was unable to make us tour arrangements despite two days of trying and promises to look into it and then call us. They apparently do the Halong Bay tour only but didn't let us know to go to a tour outfit rather than waiting for them to get back as promised, yet they never did.

If you do book this one, be sure to get the top floor or the very front of the hotel. And be sure to get the directions or pay for the airport transport. Our taxi driver and the our neighbor's took us to the wrong place at first. OH and be sure to ask the hotel which taxi companies are reliable. We were ripped off by one with a fake meter and only after telling the front desk the story did they warn us against certain companies. I'm sure that negative experience colored my view of Hanoi in general. We live in Beijing and have traveled around Asia quite a bit so were surprised at the rip off. Other guests reported similar or worse stories.

Room Tip: Front of the building with a real window or top floor. Avoid the first two rooms on each floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CBHG, General Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Church Boutique Hotels is dedicated to providing you with the finest in personal service and amenities to enhance your vacation experience. I have noted your comments with regards to poor noise insulation, inadequate lighting and promptness of our staff. Please be assured that all the information, which you have provided, will be used in planning ways to serve you better in the future and improve our facilities and services.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is an undiscovered Gem of a hotel in the old Town section of Ha noi
The staff was very helpful - one took my $ and ran down the street to get some 'Top off minutes' for my cell phone!
Room is typical of what you'd find in a $200/night hotel in NYC.
Breakfast was free and excellent. WiFi was free and speed was good.
Toiletries were very good quality as was everything in the hotel. Shower was very modern.
Room is small with not a lot of space but adaquate.
Shopping galore is a block away.
Excellent Value for the money. Stay here!!

I was here on a business trip.
Wouldn't recommend coming to Ha Noi for much else. Nothing charming about the city. Cabbie's aren't very honest.
Go to Saigon - a lot more to see and the price is a third less.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Terence M
Dear Terry,

Church Boutique Hotels is dedicated to providing you with the finest in personal service and amenities to enhance your vacation experience. You, our valued guest, can only measure our success. We would therefore like to thank you for providing us with your comments and feedback helps us keep our standards at the highest level.

Singapore
Reviewed September 24, 2012

On 2 Sep 2012 my 8 friends and I checked into the hotel and received a very pleasant welcome despite the lobby being quite small.
But we were very impressed by the young and energetic staff and astonished by the standards of the rooms, it was truly beyond expectations.
What was most worthwhile to remember is the attentiveness of the chamber-maids who make a check on the room regularly.
It is due to their good work attitudes that I was able to recover my computer harddisk in the room safe after I checked out on 6 Sep and was careless to leave it behind.
On 9 Sep, a few of my friends who were staying at the hotel called me to ask if I had forgotten about that item in the room as I left earlier that morning.
Thankfully it was returned to me safely through the honesty of the hotel staff.
I will definitely recommend a stay at this excellent hotel to my friends and colleagues.

Mr Tan
Singapore

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
CBHG, General Manager at Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Mr. Tan,

I was about to reply to the private email you sent to me sharing your experience during your interim stay with us as CBH – without a doubt we are honored that you have selected Church Boutique Hotel Hang Ca, an H&K Hospitality Management property, for your recent visit to Ha Noi. Thank you for your patronage.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and within the tripadvisor community. We are extremely grateful for your kind comments on the product, services and above all our wonderful team. Our promise is to be continuously engaged as a professional yet friendly team for our guests.