“Good service, nice food.”
Review of Essence Restaurant

Essence Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 2,547 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Diner, Vietnamese, International, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on the ground floor of the Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa, the artfully designed Essence restaurant offers you various tasty authentic Vietnamese dishes and standard Western menu for lunch and dinner. Accomplished with an extensive menu of beverages including fresh fruit shakes, coffees and wines, the restaurant ensures you a wholesome meal with great food, excellent service in the right ambiance and fine spirits, all at a price guaranteed most reasonable in town. Wifi-internet & iMac is available, free of charge.
Reviewed September 29, 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor and after trying the Gourmet Corner restaurant and reading the comparison we decided to give the Essence cafe a go. Surprisingly the decor style right down to the design of the menus are very similar to the Gourmet Corner, the dishes almost the same and almost identical wine list and I wouldn't be surprised if they were either owned by the same company or simply doing a good job at copying one another.

We were seated beside a window which overlooks an alley. The movement of night life of a family in the alley was a little distracting. The restaurant would be better off leaving the blinds closed in my opinion and I thought it was strange that they were left open anyway??

The meals were lovely but there was too much lettuce with the bun cha. We prefer more herbs as so adds flavour to the food. The lettuce does nothing. The service was friendly and quick and very efficient.

Overall the restaurant is lovely and represents good value. I find that I can't rate it higher than 4 though as I do not think it quite matches the excellence of the Gourmet Corner, however similar the two may be.

1  Thank Muhoh
Write a ReviewReviews (2,180)

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

We had a great experience at the Essence Cafe. The food is pricey compared to local prices, but very cheap compared to Western standards. I'm not rating the food as excellent, because even if our food was great, the drinks weren't too good. The ambiance and service was great, but had a table for too next to a window, and we closed the blinds because the view was an alley. We also went to the Corner Gourmet and the food and service were not anything compared to this one. I would recommend you this restaurant, but not the Corner Gourmet. Very similar menu, but service and taste make all the difference.

2  Thank alejandraym
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We ate in the restaurant on our second night in Hanoi after reading the reviews on TA. We were not disappointed. All 6 in the group thoroughly enjoyed our food. The staff were very friendly, efficient and extremely accommodating. The food was delicious and at less than £20 per head for 3 courses, bottle of wine, cocktails and beers - extremely reasonable. Deserves it's number 1 placing in Hanoi. Would recommend booking - we did as it's a small restaurant and saw a number of couples being turned away who had not booked.

1  Thank Lady B
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We choose this restaurant during visit Hanoi and restaurant facility is very clean and foods are wonderful for us and my little girl.
All of staffs are friendly and good service.
If I have a chance to trip to Hanoi, I will visit there again

1  Thank sungnam2013
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This is a really stylish classy restaurant, and the prices are decent but represent that.
The food is well prepared and the range is very wide, including many veggie options.