“Excellent food”

Essence Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 2,393 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Diner, Vietnamese, International, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on the ground floor of the Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa, the artfully designed Essence restaurant offers you various tasty authentic Vietnamese dishes and standard Western menu for lunch and dinner. Accomplished with an extensive menu of beverages including fresh fruit shakes, coffees and wines, the restaurant ensures you a wholesome meal with great food, excellent service in the right ambiance and fine spirits, all at a price guaranteed most reasonable in town. Wifi-internet & iMac is available, free of charge.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The food would match most places in Australia and even beat a lot the attention to detail was excellent. The staff once again could not have been any better the whole mood and at.titude of the people serving was a credit to the Business that employs them which does stem from there level i personnelly think.

There are newer reviews for Essence Restaurant

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a really good dinner at this cafe. Entrees, main, desserts, beer and liquors came to a grand total of $38.60 AUD. Probably our best value meal. We did alot of eating in local restaurants and side walks which of course are cheaper but there is no service and ambience. Depends on what you want. It was the perfect 1st night choice in Hanoi. We stayed at the Essence and the breakfast were fantastic.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We dined here during Tet on the recommendation of our hotel (Elegance Sapphire) and were glad we did! We had one of the set menus, which was great value and one of the best meals we had in Hanoi! The pork in clay pot was a real highlight! The cocktails were top-notch also.

As with all of the Elegance chain, the staff at the restaurant were excellent - very friendly and knowledgable.

We wouldn't hesitate to dine here again when returning to Hanoi!

1  Thank mickeyk86
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I dined at Essence 3 times during my time in Hanoi. Twice for dinner and once for breakfast. I originally went there for dinner my first night in the city as it was conveniently close to my motel and the tripadvisor reviews seemed positive. It did not disappoint.

The breakfast was nice, ordered an omelette how I liked it (which is common in Vietnam) it was lovely, perfectly cooked. Not only do they have their buffet they also have an a la carte menu. Fruit salad was beautifully presented as well as nice ripe fruits.

It was evident over the two nights that I dined there that there were two different chefs. The food was of excellent quality both times but the presentation was very different (see photos). The couple of different mocktails I had were really nice, fresh and presented nicely.

The first night I was there was during the Tet period with a friend of mine. They have western food available but I chose Vietnamese fresh spring rolls as well as fried spring rolls. The fresh spring rolls were presented beautifully on a large white plate as you'd probably see in a nice restaurant in Australia and their flavour was amazing. The fried spring rolls were very impressive and their flavour was amazing. They were served with ingredients to put them inside of fresh spring rolls (I'm pretty certain the waitress tried to explain this to me but I think we just confused eachother); vermicelli noodles, herbs and lettuce, and an easy to roll type rice paper. The waitress thoroughly explained how to put them together and they were very impressive. I followed this with a prawn and cashew nut dish, flavour was wonderful and I sat there for quite some time just to finish it off. My friend was also raving about the dish that she had. Unfortunately neither of us could fit in dessert.

A few nights later I returned to Essence with a group of 10. Everybody loved it, and thanked me for booking it for our last night in the city. Some of the group ordered western food, the hamburger amoungst other things, and thoroughly enjoyed it. On this occasion I ordered the fried spring rolls as last time. The presentation was very different to the first time I ordered it, much less western looking, served in baskets and it was not served with the rice paper. I preferred the cleaner western style of presentation from the first night I'd dined there. I asked the waitress for some rice paper, she told me I didn't need it but I said that last time I'd eaten that dish it was served with rice paper so she brought some for me at no extra cost. I had the prawn and cashew dish again as I'd thoroughly enjoyed it the first time. Most of us had dessert, I ordered the brûlée. Unfortunately my brûlée was over cooked but it seemed to be the only one of the several that we had served to the table.

Overall Essence Café was excellent. It's name is a bit confused as it's most definitely a restaurant, not a cafe. The service was all around excellent, all of the staff spoke very good English and due to their professionalism it was obvious that they were very well trained, which was great to see in Vietnam. The staff were also very helpful and friendly, they even had a few jokes with us.I t is most definitely aimed at Westerners but still maintains authentic Vietnamese cuisine.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Amazing meal from start to finish. The papaya salad with shrimp was delicious, the crispy spring rolls came with an elaborate presentation, the chicken plate was DELICIOUS, the mojito was made correctly, and the crème brûlée was delicious! The waitress was very informative and attentive. I loved the small size of the restaurant, it made you forget that you were in such a busy city.

Hanoielegancehotel, Owner at Essence Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear valued guests,

It is obviously a pleasure reading such an uncompromisingly positive review of our restaurant. We are grateful that our restaurant has entirely met your expectation and you found it to be the best value for your dinner. We understand that the food needs to be good for a reasonable meal, however, the eye-catching presentation of the dish plays an important role in making the food even better. We therefore always update new presentation and are happy to have it noticed. Also, the Mojito cocktail and Crème Brulee are some of the best items in our menu.

In all, our entire team is very proud to receive feedback such as yours. We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon. If we can be of any assistance to you at any time, please feel free to contact us directly.

Sincerely yours,