“Great accommodation luxurious and comfortable bed”

Golden Silk Boutique Hotel
Ranked #98 of 586 Hotels in Hanoi
“Great accommodation luxurious and comfortable bed”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We recently spent four nights in one of six tastefully decorated suites. Some have balconies, ours did not have one. The suites unfortunately face Hang Gai which could be noisy with traffic sounds all day, however the space available in the room and bathroom really made up for it. There was a luxurious bathtub with full amenities (bath salt, shower gel, shampoo conditioner, lotion). In a separate space there was a shower with hand shower and rain shower. There were double sinks and a separate 'water closet' for the toilet. This meant several people can use the space doing different things at the same time, good design and effective use of space. The room was equipped with a flatscreen TV with most international channels available including CNN, BBC and TV5 Monde. There was even a velvet loveseat lounger. The bed and bedding was exquisite all sourced from Vietnam but high quality. The closet lacked a light inside so looking for things was a bit of a challenge. The only negative is the breakfast buffet which needs to meet better international standards. The servers do not speak much English. The coffee was diner-style Americana, other coffees such as espresso could be ordered but for an extra fee. The Western selection is standard and unimaginative, i.e. white toast, croissant with jelly, a spread of dry cereal with milk, a sausages, bacon with scambled egg. Fortunately we enjoyed the homemade Yoghurt available daily, and the Vietnamese Pho as well as the fresh omlettes were very very good. The front desk staff and door men were always friendly and helpful with booking restaurants for us. There are two PCs with internet access in the lobby and Wifi is free with your stay as well as sodas, beer, snacks on top of the standard tea and coffee in your room's minibar. Some of the facilities such as the gym and spa were not yet ready when we stayed. The room safe needs to be bolted down, but as it is a new establishment these things need to be worked on. Overall this hotel has a great location and offer excellent value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank NAHC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed April 22, 2012

The accommodations are very comfortable, and suit the ratings of the hotel. My suite was described as "luxurious", and though comfortable, luxurious may be a bit of a stretch. My room was also advertised as having a balcony, there was none, really. My room overlooked the street, on the 9th floor, but there was no usable balcony, though even if there was one, I may not use it because of terrible street noise. That said, everything you need is supplied in the room. There is a shower and a bathtub, just a soaking tub, not a jaccuzzi tub. The suite is tastefully decorated, with a section for relaxing, with a sofa and a desk and chair, which is separated from the bed area. Everything was functioning well; it does help that the hotel is new. The breakfast spread is adequate, and the variation is fair if you're only staying a few days. I stayed for six nights, therefore, it started to become boring and monotonous after about the third day. The staff was helpful, though it can sometimes be over-kill when you're not allowed to open the doors for yourself, or to walk to the breakfast table to make selections, because they try to do it for you, while at the same time they forgot to schedule my taxi to the airport, adding an additional 20 wait to my trip to the airport. I provided the information an entire day before. They were very apologetic. Overall, the stay was a satisfying one, and I would return. Keep in mind that the hotel is still working on some features, such as the spa.

Room Tip: "Terrace" does not mean a usable space. Rooms facing the street can be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank winsomet
London
Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed in two different rooms, one night in a studio room before we went to Halong Bay and 3 nights in a luxury suite.

Studio room: Smallish at the front of the building on a main street, VERY noisy. Fittings and furniture absolutely beautiful, very expensive european bathroom fittings. Great bed. There is no separate shower in this room and you have to use the overhead shower in the bath, which was quite high. This migth be a problem for older people since you have to climb up into the bath wall. It was a problem for my husband because he is quite tall and he nearly reached the ceiling once he was standing in the bath.

Luxury suite: AMAZING room! It is more a junior suite but it has a sofa and a work desk. Huge bathroom, two sinks, separate toilet and shower, huge bath...beatiful. Velvet, dark wood and silk. Really 5* room. Big problem: NOISY. Again, the most expensive rooms are at the front of the building and the traffic is terrible, with constant beeping noises from the street.

Breakfast: Nothing to write home about. Smalish buffet with cheap pastries and juices. The toasters are just home toasters and do not work for a hotel. they take ages and the bread does not fit in.

Hotel decor: Very impressive reception area. Beatiful. A lot of gold but it is called 'Golden Silk hotel'. A lot of money has been spent buiding this hotel.

Service: APPALLING!!! Let me start by mentioning that they forgot our wake up call the morning we were leaving Hanoi. Luckily the noisy from the street woke us up well before that ;-)
No apologies. They also forgot to arrange a taxi to take us to the airport, which we had requested the previous day.
One member of staff was on the internet (facebook, twitter, who knows) while I was waiting for assistance at reception.I finally managed to get somebody's attention and asked them to phone my airline to book seats on the plane. They tried and shortly afterwards told me that the numbers were wrong. I asked them if they could phone the airport and they said I had to do it myself, that they couldn't help.
On one ocassion, we were returning from breakfast (around 9 am) and we had one of the maids waiting outside our room (we had the no disturb sign up) and she quite rudely asked us if she could clean our room. I told her that we would be leaving in 30 minutes to which she replied, OK, 15 minutes. On our way out, I wanted to tell her that we needed shower gel in our room. She was cleaning the room next door. She literally pushed me out of my way back to the lift. Vey arrogant and not helpful. Shocking.

Spa doesn't open until sometime in May.

Service and quiet rooms are a must for us. With so much choice of accomodation in Hanoi, I would not stay at Golden Silk Hotel again nor recomend it. I wished I could bring one of those suites home though...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Quijanotango
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This hotel is awesome. It's definitely as someone else put it, a sanctuary from the insanity of Hanoi outside.

The staff here are fantastic, everyone is new so they eye you a bit carefully to make sure they understand, but the room was great, had excellent facilities (free WiFi, free! minibar, complimentary fruit on check-in, nice showers, bath, and a great LCD TV).
It's also in an outstanding location.
The included breakfast was tasty and I wholeheartedly recommend the Pho, as well as the daily changing other Vietnamese / SE Asian dishes. Most days this breakfast got me through till late afternoon before needing anything else.

It's a very short stroll from heaps of eateries, the lake, the night market, and everything else you could want. I'd definitely recommend and go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms up high, and at the back would be the pick. I was on the 8th floor, at the back and had a dece...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Tyson R
Wellington NZ
Reviewed April 12, 2012

After playing Don Quixote with the traffic for a few hours this place is great.
A sanctuary. We found this place as a walk in and have stayed for a couple of days great staff - friendly and unobtrusive.. The showers and toilets are excellent like you expect and the place is really! clean. Oh and they sell Belgian beer and you can have a pho or bacon and eggs for breakfast.

Room Tip: all pretty good
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Was in Hanoi for a business trip and we chose to go for this hotel. It is rather new, less than 8 months old. Situated in the Old Quarters, it is really good value for money. Clean sheets, good room ventilation and pristine toliet. Helps that the room that we got came with no extra charge to the mini bar.
Only peeve we had on that stay of 2 nights was the shower area was choked on the first night. It was however quickly rectified and the reception is always close at hand to ask if all is in order.
Overall good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you are keen to see some 'skyline' and to avoid the traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed in 2 different rooms. One with a window on the top floor = very good but the wifi was not working up there and the second time on the 3 floor with no window, noise from the elevator and the hot water in the shower did not work. Check rooms!!!
Staff very helpful, very clean and great location since you can do everything by foot

• Stayed April 2012