“Pretty Awful and Definitely Not Friendly” 2 of 5 bubbles

Friendly Backpackers' Hostel
Friendly Backpackers' Hostel
Ranked #91 of 333 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
London, United Kingdom
“Pretty Awful and Definitely Not Friendly”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I arrived early morning, only to be greeted by a gruff unsmiling member of staff asleep on a sofa. He told me to come back in half an hour, which I did. The room was ok, the bed pretty comfy, and there were lockers. The bathroom wasn't amazingly clean, and there was nowhere to put your clothes in the shower. Also, no running water. I tried the bathrooms on the other floors, and it was the same story. I went to speak to the guy at reception about it, he said the water level 'needed time to rise'. I waited half an hour, and still not a drop. I left to stay elsewhere. Running water is a fairly basic requirement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Razorwinged

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Orange County, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Friendly Backpackers was rated really highly, so my friend and I booked with them. The dorm rooms are quite nice, the breakfast is decent, and the Wifi is pretty dependable. So, at the start we were really happy with our choice, but the staff corrected that pretty soon.

I gave the staff my laundry because they said they could get it back to me quickly. When I got it back, they had charged my for 2kg of laundry, but when I personally weighed it (on another scale) it was under 1kg...so, way to steal small amounts of cash from your guests. They also tried to short me on the deposit I paid for the room. The staff was really kind to us when we booked our Halong Bay Tour with them, but then when we talked to people on the cruise we found out that we had been charged about $20 more than those who booked the same tour at other places. Because of that experience, we decided to look around Hanoi for the best price on a bus to Hue after we got back. When the staff asked us about if we would book with them, we told them that we were doing a price check with other places and that we had heard poor reviews about "Camel" buses (who Friendly Backpackers partners with). One of the staff members then cussed at us under his breath in Vietnamese and thought we wouldn't know.

So, hopefully this place gets a new staff or a new attitude. If you do end up staying here, go elsewhere to book anything and everything you may need.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Osaka, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Good
1 night staying Dorms is Only 5USD
Free breakfast
Free bath towel
Clean room
free wifi.
safety box
not so crowded
kind staff

Bad
no drying space for washings.

When i stayed this hostel, we could not use their internet because of internet line problem,
but they asked their neighbors to use their wifi.
So I could use wifi in the hostel.

Room Tip: Check your internet connectivity before you stay.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank ttripper0
franeker
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The name friendly goes allong with the name.
The owner is very friendly and wants to help you with every kind of things, such as train and bustickets and its not more expensive then when you book it at a bookingshop.
nice rooms in the old quarter, hanoi, nice balkony, clean rooms and nice hot showers and towels.
including breakfast for a normal price.,
The elizabeth hostel is a part of the friendly backpackers hostel among the other side of the street.
Free wifi availible

Room Tip: ask for a room in elizabeth hostel because in the friendly backpackers hostel are only sleepingrooms...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bertkok
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had 3 nights staying at the hostel on our return trip to Hanoi. The dorm was mall but comfortable and clean. Air-conditioning worked great, Breakfast was simple but it was nice and good enough. Internet was free at downstairs and wifi for whole day. Location is the best in Hanoi within some walks for coffee shop and restaurants

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank david m
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Based on the many 90% reviews, we reserved 4 nights at friendly backpackers. Sadly we did not end up there. You see, on arrival we were ushered across the street to a run-down, dirty hostel with a completely different name and told it was something akin to a sister hostel ("in vietnam we're slow to change the signs," the lady from FB assured us). While the room was a fair size, it was in a state of disrepair. Cracked, chipped, smudged walls, dirty bathroom, sporadic hot water, etc. In other words, this was not the clean, nice hostel we had read about; more likely, it was the crap hostel FB bought out to sop up its overflow. Needless to say, we won't be staying more than one night.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shaun H
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

This hostel you get what you pay for, it's so cheap so you cannot expect too much! However for what I paid I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were basic and the bathroom was very small but I feel the location is perfect and very central. Close to all the pubs and clubs! I would definitely stay here again! The staff were very helpful with booking our tour to Halong bay!

• Stayed July 2013