“The best personal service I have ever received” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rising Dragon Villa Hotel

Rising Dragon Villa Hotel
Ranked #109 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Prague
“The best personal service I have ever received”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was going to wait to write this review because I had been at the hotel for 12 days and just returned for another 12 days so I am still in residence. I have admitted in many reviews that because of my years traveling for business of over 200 nights a year in hotels that I am a Hotel Monster. Exacting, potentially difficult(!) and judge service harshly. I also have to say that on my past 2 trips to Hanoi I stayed in the Grande Dame of all hotels in Hanoi and enjoyed my stay there even if it is a much larger less personal hotel. It would be unfair to compare the 2 hotels because of their differences but in terms of service Rising Dragon Villa beats virtually every hotel experience I have ever had. Admittedly the rooms are not as large or opulent but at a fraction of the price they deliver the kind of service travelers only dream of.

In the middle of this stay I went to Sapa (which was outstanding by the way) and they not only escorted me to the train and made sure that I was in the right cabin, etc. but also picked me up early in the morning on my return and even if the taxi fare is modest they paid for that too. Where in the world do you get that type of service?!?! The staff, each and every one of them, could not be kinder or nicer or more helpful. This hotel deserves to be in the top tier of any survey of mid priced hotels. I know Shara has been singled out in other reviews and deservedly so because she is efficient and absolutely lovely but I also want to recognize the entire staff for they all work together incredibly well.

If this review is starting to sound like I am talking about my own home it is only because I have been feeling like this is my temporary home. Value for money this is also probably the best hotel I have ever been to. I am always hesitant about over praising a hotel because then everyone will want to come and then I might have a hard time getting a reservation!! Next time you are in Hanoi and want a wonderful mid priced hotel in the quieter part of the crazy Old Quarter look no further.

Room Tip: It is certainly worth staying in a deluxe room and I like the quieter back of the hotel but the fami...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank hotelmonster88

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel would have to be recommended mostly because of their outstanding staff service! But the hotel itself is spotlessly clean and modern. Rooms are not huge but we are not here to sit in our room. We cannot believe how helpful and friendly all of the staff have been particularly Shari who began contact before we left home via email and has provided the most outstanding service you could hope for. We arrived inVietnam for two weeks and only three nights booked here. Within 2 hours of arriving we had the rest of our tripped planned, booked and paid at about 2/3 of the prices I found trying to book in Australia. The hotel is in the old quarter and therefore central to most things you would like to see. The staff help with interesting sights, good restaurants and anything else you need. Breakfast is included which is satisfactory and enough variety to satisfy. The rooms have everything you need and ours had a king size bed. If you don't like a very firm mattress then you will have a problem but it appears this is much the same anywhere. Overall, we were impressed! Possibly other hotels and staff provide similar services but I would not think about staying anywhere else next visit to Hanoi.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank juann22
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We used this hotel as the base for our trip around vietnam and really glad we did. As with many hotels in the old quarter it is quite small with limited area outside of your room. However the rooms we had (had a family suite once and the deluxe double on the other occasions) were very clean with good faciltiies. They will even lend you a lap top for your room at no charge.

It was great to be able to leave luggage and laundry when we visited other parts of Vietnam and be able to come back and have it waiting for us.

What made this hotel stand out for me were the staff who must have been some of the friendliest people that I have met. They went out of their way to be helpful and treated us like friends. I would highly recommend this hotel and I ever go back I will book in straight away.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe rooms for a bit more space.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cumbriansteve
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed in a few different rooms as we were in and out of tours.

The rooms are good and clean, with firm beds, floorboards, flatscreen TV, air-con, mini-fridge, iron + board. Sizes of the rooms are a little variable. The superior room was actually quite small, bordering on cramped, but there was a king sized bed in the room. The family suite we got upgraded to on another occasion was quite spacious.

Wifi is complimentary and reasonably fast. There is complimentary water, dry sweet ice tea sachet, instant coffee and kettle. The lobby has free coffee and tea all day.

Shower in all the rooms we had were great. Rainforest with good power, hot water seemingly unlimited. There was a slight problem where it appears that form over function has been chosen in the design. The shower has a nice granite lip to hold the water in, however the granite lip is a reasonable width of about 5cm: The result being that the shower had a slight leak, as any water that runs down the glass shower door tended to collect on the surface of the lip, then drain both ways into and out of the shower. This was not a huge problem in the superior room, as the shower is inside the toilet. However our shower in the family suite was separate, and we ended up with some water out on the floorboard.

Location is quite good, being inside the old quarter, which is busy and lively during the day, but nice and quiet at night. Night market, water puppet theater, and the lake with the pagoda is only 10 minutes walk away. In fact because of warnings about taxi scams from the train station, on two occasions we simply walked for 15-20minutes to the hotel after arriving on the night train.

Lobby also serves as restaurant where breakfast is served. Breakfast is average with combination of western meals and also some pho. Plenty of fresh fruits and juices are available.

The staff were really fantastic. All very friendly and helpful. They recommended us arguably the best pho and ban-cha in all of Hanoi. Were helpful in organizing tickets for water puppet theatre show, train tickets and organized a town car for us on the last trip to the airport.

They also have a wide selection of tours to book for Halong Bay, Lan Ha bay, Tam Coc and Sapa. We booked a Sapa tour with the hotel and they sent a bellboy to the station with the group to make sure there were no problems.

Overall i would highly recommend this hotel for the great location, fantastic staff, good rooms though can be a little too cozy, and a great shower for a good daily clean.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank borzy
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights in a twin room in the beginning of January. The hotel was still a work in progress as rooms were still half finished. We were offered a room that no one slept in before. However, the room was missing a makeup mirror, one light fixture, and a light bulb in the closet. These minor inconsistencies will probably be addressed in the next month.

From what I understand, the staff is a mixture of staff at all the other Rising Dragon hotels. The staff was helpful, but I disliked the markup they added onto the tours they marketed. But this is expected to some extent as this is Vietnam. They do offer a good selection of tours -- Perfume Pagoda, Halong Bay, Tam Coc/Hoa Lu.

Front desk staff is pretty helpful. They readily exchanged USD for VND at the rate of 1:21000.

Linen quality is not up to par to the Rising Dragon Palace. Breakfast is good, with mostly western offerings and a couple of Vietnamese items. Hotel is a work in progress that would improve soon. But until then, I would recommend their sister hotel Rising Dragon Palace (just beware the building next door is going through construction and it might be noisy there).

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family