“Great food and cooking experience!”

Hanoi Cooking Centre
Hanoi Cooking Centre Cooking Class
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hanoi Cooking Centre established in 2009, remains Hanoi's only purpose built cooking school and culinary centre. A variety of cooking classes and street food tours are available twice daily. All classes begin with welcome tea, while a chef gives a brief introduction to the local Chau Long market and Vietnamese market culture generally. After a 3 minute walk guests arrive at the market and are immediately submerged into the hustle, bustle and wonder of one of the last remaining wet markets in Hanoi. Our chef will explain the produce and offer various samples along the way. After returning to the centre you will then participate in a 'hands-on' cooking class and the morning / afternoon finishes in our air-conditioned restaurant where you and your class mates can enjoy the dishes you have prepared along with free flow drinks. All guests receive a complimentary and much sort after Hanoi Cooking Centre apron and recipe cards. Class + lunch = approximately 3.5hrs For guests preferring a more adventurous time, our 5 hour street food tour also includes the market tour and then takes guests to 5 of the best known (amongst the locals and our HCC staff) street food venues across Hanoi. The number 1 rule for this tour = come hungry! For guests with limited time try our Market Tour & Lunch or Dinner package for a truly authentic Hanoi culinary experience.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Hong Kong, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great food and cooking experience!”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The staff was very knowledge and helpful. Enjoyed the tour through the local wet market to know how to choose ingredients for a typical Vietnamese dish. The leader enjoyed sharing about the culture, the food, and his own personal experience. One of the best 3-4 hours of time spent!

1 Thank Lui_Sieh

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Street Food Tour stimulates the senses”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

A great trip round markets, stalls and restaurants where vietnamese people go. No westerners in sight (apart from ourselves). Amazing food (nothing scary!). The flavours were astonishing. Would recommend but don't eat anything before you go!

1 Thank Sara G
Kent
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“A really good morning.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Went following recommendations. After a brief tour of the market we were shown how to make 4 seafood dishes.
The chef was a great instructor and the food we made was delicious. It was more of a food preparation course though as we handed our prepared food to the instructor who cooked it (we didn't actually cook the food ourselves which we should have had the opportunity to do)..

Perth, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of my stay in Hanoi”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I learned how to make some traditional Vietnamese dishes, the Pho was the best i tasted in Vietnam. The other dishes were equally delicious. our young Vietnamese chef was fantastic, and the tour of the markets was interesting and informative. Would definitely recommend this class!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank daisyrose36
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“So good, I went back for seconds!”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

After a wonderful street food tour my first day in Hanoi, I decided to book a cooking class the following day.

The staff speak excellent English, and are able to answer every question you throw at them. I should know - I asked a LOT of questions. I was the only one on both the tour, and in the class, so it felt like my own private guided culinary experience.

I would highly recommend doing the street food tour your first morning in Hanoi, as it not only gives you a feel for the city, but allows you to go back to some of your favourite spots later on. I had such a wonderful bowl of pho on my first morning, that I went back two more times on my own after that. The trip is a combination between walking and taxis, which allows you to cover quite a nice bit of ground during the 4 hours.

The cooking class started with the same market visit I had done before, which was a little repetitive for me, but I expected that going in. My instructor was a wonderfully experienced young cook, who told me he had spent 2 years at KOTO (not for profit training program for Hanoi youth), and seems to know everything there is to know about northern Vietnamese food.

On top of all this, there is a lovely little cafe above the school that serves the BEST Italian coffee I've ever had. They were also making fresh hot cross buns and brownies while I was there, but I was so full of spring rolls, I had to resist.

Visited March 2014