“Very mixed some good lots poor”

Splendid Star Suite Hotel
Ranked #20 of 647 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We would not recommend Splendid Suites and we would not return. Our pick up from the airport was a farce, we had travelled all day and so happy to quickly sweep through visa and customs. Lots of cards with names at arrivals but not ours, tourist info rang them three times in the 40 mins we were waiting and each time they said car was there. An airport taxi came and he had no idea where we were going so obviously had just been booked. When we arrived at hotel we were told to sit on sofas whilst they checked us in, brought us lemon juice which was nice but no explanation why we were sitting for 30 mins or apology for car. We had booked two rooms and our daughter stayed in the family suite for one night this had a bath and the screen in front of it was covered in black mould and smelled very bad. Our room was better bathroom only smelled of mould a little, towels big holes and thin. Positive bed was excellent and great tv and room has own computer, this did not work but they fixed quickly. Shower head had come off wall but they also fixed this. Lamps did not work and wiring looked bad so just left.
We chose it due to TA and people had said breakfast was good, I have to admit I am fussy, scrambled egg like rubber, juice that tasted like a powder mix and bad coffee it was free but only had one.
Staff were very helpful when they wanted to be and had good English. We were leaving early after our four day stay and we asked to pay the bill they said not now but later even though they were doing nothing and our bill was very simple with no apology. Very strange service approach. The hotel was not cheap for Vietnam.
Location was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank gill h

Reviewed February 6, 2013

It was our first time in Hanoi and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is located in a nice neighborhood, near the market.
The room are clean and the deluxe room are quite big.
The staff is very welcoming and helpful, especially Hoa, the manager. They organized a Halong Bay Trip for us.

I highly recommend the hotel to spend several nights in Hanoi.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank perano82
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was my second time in Hanoi and there I was thinking I knew all the places to go and things to see. But the extremely welcoming and nice staff from Splendid Star were more than happy to tell my friends and I all the best places to go. They organized all transportation and bookings for trips to Sapa and Ha Long Bay. Staying in the heart of the city was amazing enough, but then the staff gave us Splendid Stars map of the area complete with a walking tour that took us through to the best shopping locations.

Every morning began with the complimentary breakfast and every night ended with a very comfortable bed overlooking the Cathedral (the Honeymoon Sweet is absolutely recommended).

I have since mentioned Splendid Star to numerous friends and if I ever manage to get back to Vietnam then i plan to stay there again. Hopefully Hannah will still be working at the front desk for she made our trip far better than we had hoped for! By not only recommending great places to see, but also organizing bookings and transportation at a cheaper price than even the local travel agents. Which are cheaper again than back here in Australia.

All in all staying at the Splendid Star was one of the best decisions of the trip!

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Sweet has an excellent bed with an amazing view of the cathedral.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mark C
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Small, tall hotel, near old quarter and cathedral and the Hoan Kiem Lake = perfect for a central position. Staff very friendly rooms well equipped and comforable. Rooms at the back have no balcony. Mixed emotions because they have missed so many areas off their renovation list. 1) The carpet up the 4 or 5 floors is ragged and worn - dangerous in places. 2) The wiring!!! well what can I say - make sure you have taken out travel insurance ;-). Holes in the wall where sockets were - sockets that come out of the wall, table lights cabled in with exposed wiring. 3) I had ants in my room - crawling in and out of the coffee cups - not a problem really - that is Vietnam but I was 2 floors up and they were coming up through the floor. A helpful young chap on the night shift brushed them up for me when I went to ask for help. 4) the battery in the smoke alarm started beeping at about midnight - not a problem batteries run out - but when I asked for it to be replaced the same helpful young chap stood on my chair on a coffee table on my bed and took the battery out and back in again - then turned it off! 5) Finally We needed to be off in the morning early as we were being picked up between 7:30 and 8, breakfast started at 7 ... we gave up at 7:45 and asked for some bread rolls to be bagged to go... perhaps it was becasue the same helpful young man had to go over to another owned hotel to use their kitchens. To be honest.. it is cheep, it is cheerful and they are trying - I guess I Was just unlucky.

Room Tip: choose a room at the front for a view of the cathedral.. and a balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank normansfletcher
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights whilst in Hanoi. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful The room was most comfortable and very clean We had acces to internet free which was really good The breakfast was included in the price and was very good value - i recommend having the breakfast as very good choice. I woudl certainly recommend thsi hotel - situated in teh old quarter but easily accessable to all areas in Hanoi by taxi. The old quarter was my favourite location in HaNOI

Room Tip: As a family we had a triple room - plenty of room for all 3 of us and very clean We had a small balc...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Yvonne L
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Went on a trip to Hanoi last month and enjoyed it thoroughly. Part of the great experience was staying at this hotel.

The hotel staff were all great and accommodating. The hotel was situated at the Old Quarter and right next to St. Joseph Cathedral, which was a big help in case one got lost. The room was cozy and nice. I also enjoyed the fruit platter that went with the free breakfast (which was better than I expected). Unavailability of lunch and dinner/supper was no problem since there are many restaurants/cafes nearby.

All in all, a very good experience and I will be staying at this hotel again if I'm back in Hanoi.

Room Tip: No lift/elevator so ask for a room on the second or third floor as they are more manageable. The co...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank prinzheinelgirl
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my family for my dad's 50th, and the hotel truly exceeded my expectations.
Extremely comfortable beds, fantastic bathrooms and rooms in general. Above all was how wonderful and helpful the staff were. From Alex cheerfully carrying our bags at a moments notice, and Hannah and Lisa's wonderful local knowledge and help, always done with fantastic smiles. I praise the staff above everything else in this hotel, nothing was ever too much for them.

I would return to the hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family