“Good, not great”

Ranked #60 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Villaga, Italy
“Good, not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

We did a significant amount of research before booking this hotel, weighing all options: location, price, reviews, etc. When we settled on booking the Hotel Moment, it was fully booked so we resorted to our second choice the Moment II, based mostly on reviews.
Anyone looking for lodging in Vietnam will quickly notice a price disparity - plenty of options for less than $25/night and plenty of options for more than $25/night, some much more. So what's the difference? That was my question. Having previously traveled through southern Vietnam never spending more than $25/night on lodging, I was looking to splurge a bit more on this trip through the north, but I wanted to know what I was getting for the price mark-up.
Not a lot, as it turns out.
The only things better about this hotel vs. much cheaper lodging options elsewhere in the country were mediocre:
1. More recently updated finishes (ie flat-screen tv, duvet cover, recently renovated doors/fixtures) - none of which were high quality, merely aesthetically pleasing. Overall, room size was comparable to everything I paid half as much for in Saigon/Nha Trang/Can Tho, and quality of furnishings was actually degraded at the Moment 2.
2. The inclusion of breakfast in the room rate. Breakfast at the Moment 2 was mediocre. The buffet ranged daily from sparce to sufficient. There is also an ala cart option but our 3 attempts at ordering ala carte only resulted in 1 accurate meal delivered. The first time we ordered ala carte (no buffet offered as it was Sunday), the chef and/or wait staff apparently forgot about our order which was delivered only after we reminded them and then only one of the two items was delivered, poached eggs which were presented as scrambled. A similar mishap occurred the second time we ordered ala cart but we were vocal about the mistake that time and it was promptly fixed.
Also notable, the walls were paper thin. Someone coughing down the hall kept me up all night. We were staying on the 5th floor so there was no street noise, but I could hear every move made in every adjacent room.
I also found the location disappointing, considering the cost. It is not a long walk to the center of town (north end of the lake), but for the price I expected a more central location. Many other reviews downplay this aspect. It is too close to ever opt for a ride, granted, but likewise inconveniently far considering much cheaper accommodation is available in better locations.
The friendly service at Moment 2 was consistent but I found that a reliable entity of every hotel I stayed at in Vietnam, $9 per night and up, so not necessarily worth the additional cost to stay at a mid-range hotel.
Overall, I would opt to stay in a better location for a comparable or cheaper price if I were to return to Hanoi. Nothing stands out about the Moment 2 that would lure me to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SBrady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

What's great:
1. Service - the staff is excellent and will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. They give great traveling advice (where to buy what, which taxis to avoid, etc.). They even escorted us to our sleepers on the train to Sapa, worried that we would get loss in the chaos of the train station! They were all (from doorman and cleaning staff to interns and management) very friendly, genuine and obliging. They upgraded our room twice! PLUS they got our tour operator to upgrade our Halong Bay cruise when they found out it was my wife's birthday!
2. Great Location - away from the extreme business and noise of the areas of the Old Quarter that are closer to the lake. The street here is wider, far less busy, and still a comfortable walking distance from any key spot.
3. Cleanliness - the hotel was very clean. Sheets, toilets, etc.

This hotel significantly helped make our Hanoi holiday comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ManeshN
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed at the Hanoi Moment Hotel 2 for five nights and were so impressed with the service, standard and cleanliness of the room. The staff were so lovely and went out of their way to ensure our stay was exceptional- they also offered great advice on what taxis to take, sights to visit etc. We stayed in one of the larger apartment style rooms and I definitely recommend it- the space means you can order a meal and sit in if the city has exhausted you, the cubed bathroom separated our bedroom from the lovely lounge area, very modern and chic. Room service food is also exceptional- which I have found a rarity on my travels throughout the country. Try the Hanoi Fried Fish- amazing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hoang Minh H
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

It is already my 3rd time in Hanoi Moment Hotel.
The first time, I tried Hanoi Moment 1, very close to the lake, and fro 2nd and 3rd time, I stayed in Hanoi Moment 2, the newest one, built only a few months ago, a little further form the lake, but less than 10 mn walking distance.
It is always a pleasure to come back !
I do really feel very comfortable in this hotel. Rooms are very nice (I always choose the Junior Suite which has windows and even balcony. the standard one, cheaper, do not have window. For one night it is OK, but when I need to stay longer, I do prefer to have a window).
Rooms are very well designed, modern, clean and comfortable.
The bathrooms are very nice decorated, can't really explain, you have to see by yourself (personnally, I do really love the shower, with little white stones and rose petals .... so nice !)
The hotel is quiet (which does really mean something in Vietnam, believe me !!), and most of all, ALL the personel is extremely nice and helpful !
The second time I came, it was after asking my assistant to book a hotel in Hanoi, without giving her any further instructions. When I arrived at the hotel, it was just IMPOSSIBLE To stay even 10 mn. It was late evening (22H30) and I called the Hanoi Moment Hotel, totally desperate, asking for a last minute room, ANY !! They took care of me, they even sent somebody from the reception to pick me up with a taxi (I was quite far ....), they even paid for the taxi (?!), and when I came into my room, a bottle of white wine was waiting for me, as "a gift after this difficult and stressful evening" ! Can you believe this ?? I am french, and believe me, THIS NEVER HAPPENS in France !!
I would definitely never try another hotel in Hanoi, this is my home !
Should you need any further information, or should you want to check if my review is a real one, please, feel free to contact me any time through Tripadvisor. Delphine

Room Tip: Ask for a "Junior Suite" if you would like to have windows and balcony. The standard room...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TofDel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Had a lovely time in Hanoi. Made perfect by the staff here. Kim n Tom led the way with their stellar service n cuedos to them for all rounded staff- knowledgable, friendly n more! The kids really lived the place- clean n beautifully made up!
Had a birthday surprise for my birthday as well! We will def be back!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Yulinwong
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Hanoi moment hotel offer excellent service for us and resolve some problems we met in Hanoi . The location is near downtown and is so convenient. The room are also very clean that we can sleep well. Also, they offer delicious breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank yuping c
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I was there with my family from 9th to 14th June.

The weather was super hot but the comfort at Hanoi Moment make-up for it!!

Jenny, Kim and all the front desk and banquet staff were excellent. It made our trip more special.

HM is situated abt 10mins walk to Dong Xuan Market. And situated in the original layout and architecture of old Hanoi, traveller could easily walk and explore the streets. Each street specialised in particular trade, its like a shoppers paradise.

I missed the warm hospitality, wil be back!!!

Room Tip: Check out the double story family room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family