“New, Clean and Helpful Staff”

The Landmark Hanoi Hotel
Ranked #261 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“New, Clean and Helpful Staff”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel will sure worth your money. The price is absolutely reasonable, rooms are clean and tidy. You can book your trip to Halong Bay or Sapa here conveniently and the hotel staffs are ready to help, and they are flexible to make necessary arrangement for you. One of the best hotels that I ever with after a numbers to traveling. I am pretty sure this hotel would not turn you down if you make it as your choice in Hanoi!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travelholic116

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
hanoi
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have been at the Landmark Hotel for almost a month during a CELTA class. I couldn't be happier with my decision to stay here. I'll go into more detail below, but in short, this hotel is a perfect blend of comfortable and professional. The staff is welcoming, upbeat and helpful with big things (taking care of me when I got a horrible bout of travelling sickness in my first week) and little things (giving me maps, calling for taxis and changing american currency into Vietnamese dong.)

The Room: I have the standard room. It is small but comfy. The bed is big and comfortable, the shower has great water pressure and plenty of hot water ( maybe one time in 30 showers it wasn't boiling hot but even that time I just waited a half hour and then there was lots.) The A/C works very well. There is an electric kettle in the room which is nice as well as a mini fridge which is stocked with water and sodas. I thought it would be weird that there isn't a window to outside, but actually it's nice and quiet and I still get plenty of ventilation. There are 3 rooms on each floor and only the small middle ones have the hallway window, so as long as you get a superior room, you'll have one. But if you're undemanding and like quiet, you may be happy with a room like mine.

The WIFI: Works perfectly at all times! Also they provide one adapter in the room and plenty of outlets.

The Staff: I love the staff. They are totally trustworthy and friendly but never intrusive.

Almost every morning I ask them to call me a cab, which usually takes about 2 minutes. If you tell them where you're going, they'll tell the driver.

I have gotten money changed from American to Vietnamese (make sure you have crisp, unfolded bills without rips. Its not the hotel, its just a Vietnam thing-- the people who work at the exchanges are very particular.) When I have asked it has been 5-10 minutes and all I have to do is wait in the lobby while someone who works at the desk takes care of everything. They also give you a better rate than if you try to go directly to an exchange, where you will likely get an unfair rate.

I have also gotten change from large bills like 500,000 dong into smaller bills. Everyone who works here is eager to help.

When I was horribly sick and my room looked like a horror movie set the housekeepers did an incredible job of cleaning quickly and they were very friendly and concerned.

I have printed out documents and homework assignments late at night by emailing them to myself and printing them from the lobby computers. They're old and slow but they work (as long as you convert your documents to word 97-03 you too can print!) Even if you go down in your pjs the staff is so nice!

I have also borrowed bowls and cutlery so that i could eat cereal in my room.

The laundry service is very very fast. You just leave it in your room with a little slip and it comes back in 2 days or less, clean and perfectly folded. I have had some very pricey delicate things washed (ie fancy blouses from anthropologie) and they came back looking perfect!

The rooms are kept spotless. And like I said, I have been here a month so I can vouch for the lack of pests or bedbugs. No way! This place is very clean.

The Complimentary Breakfast: I LOVE the breakfast. You get coffee, tea plus a whole spread of fresh rolls, vegetables(tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli), cereal (usually cornflakes but sometimes cocoa crispies) and fruit (usually pineapple and sometimes mango or other things)... it varies depending on what they get from the market but its always a nice choice. ALSO you can order off a small breakfast menu and that is also complimentary but made just for you. So you get a fresh omelet or eggs over easy or fried rice or even pho, nothing thats been sitting around all morning. It's a real treat. Some people seem perplexed that there isn't water offerred but just bring it down from your room if you need it that badly, its in the fridge! Also no juice, but if you want juice, you can walk to the end of Nguyen Van To a block and a half away and theres a great juice spot with every fresh juice you could ever imagine and a menu in english and vietnamese.

The Location: This hotel is very close to the heavy tourist area of Hoan Kiem lake BUT its right outside the heavy touristy perimeter. This is a good thing if you dont want someone trying to sell you a fan or a cheap souvenir or a rickshaw ride every 2 seconds, which is what happens near the hotels of some of my classmates, closer to the lake. The street is a market street, so lots of people sell herbs, veggies and meat. It's a bit rougher around the edges in that real people live here but TOTALLY safe. I have had some late nights working at my school (late by Hanoi standards, so after 11pm or midnight) and I have always felt perfectly safe here. There is a highlands coffee about a block and a half away which has lattes, cappucinos etc. And a citibank atm right next to it. They have endless maps at the desk which they will give you.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. This place is special. If you just need a place to stay for a couple days you will be comfortable and your belongings secure. But if you need or want a little more, the Landmark will be your home in Hanoi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank abby s
North Wales
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here for our final 6 nights in SE Asia, I'm very glad that we chose this place to end our 4 month holiday :)

The staff are very accommodating. Mr Thanh on reception especially, he has very good English and from start to finish called us by our first names, I think that's a nice thing. :) Upon arrival i'd booked and paid for a standard room...he was cheerful that we were staying for 6 nights so I joked and suggested he upgraded us...which he did in an instant to a superior room with a smile. He also helped us book our trip to Halong Bay. $33 pp.

The room itself is very spacious with plenty of room for bags, a wardrobe, very good air con, in-room fridge stocked daily, good in-room safe, very nice power shower. The room was cleaned daily with free small bottle of water.

To our disappointment the bed consisted of two singles pushed together so you have the dreaded gap...I can usually deal with this but then two single duvet's had been laid down making it quite awkward. But hey shouldn't be too fussy when it was a free upgrade! I am simply letting people know in the superior room that is what the beds are like.
We had a small issue with tiny ants in the bathroom around the sink/soap area, and around the clean coffee cups left out for us. Whenever we had a sugary drink/can we needed to be aware not to leave it out too long or you'd attract them. This room was 701.
We also found that about 20 meters away from the hotel there is a train line which means that sometimes you are awoken by the noise. Also the housekeeping start work pretty early and make alot of noise.
There were two locations in our room which in a western world wouldn't pass safety tests...the light switches next to the bed were hanging off exposing wires but still worked. Also above the vanity desk mirror there must have been a lamp/light installed and removed so there were red and blue wires just hanging out of the wall...shame because otherwise it was decorated lovely.

The hotel has a breakfast room but doesnt have its own restaurant, a couple of times we called for delivery food due to my partner being unwell and the reception do have menus and will happily call for it for you.
I advise to go down earlier than 9am for breakfast as most items seem to not be replenished after that. i.e. boiled eggs and baguettes. There is a buffet laid and you can order from the kitchen hot food. I would suggest that they provide Orange juice in future; for the entire 6 days we were there they had a lemon drink which I believe was with their water and not bottled because I tended to feel iffy not too long after it.

I probably would recommend despite those small issues mainly due to the customer service provided. Its a short walk to Old Quarter...well the hotel is in it but to get to the main square its a two minute walk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here twice already and If I come to Hanoi again, I would not hesitate to booking at the landmark again.

Location:
Very convenient, ca 1km walking from the lake / 1 km walking from the train station. Small shops for water nearby, so are many coffee shops

Room:
Stayed in the Superior room first. There is a window, but not a real outside window. It gives some daylight though and it makes the room very quiet.
Room is spacious and very clean, beds are comfortable.
When returning to the hotel from Halong bay tour, they upgraded us to a Family Room / Deluxe room, which was great, very big, with comfortable couch and double & single bed, rainfall shower and a big window.
I also saw hte standard rooms, they are very small with no outside window. I would recommend paying the extra for one rom category higher
Both rooms seemed pretty new, with nice and stylish furniture, paintings on the walls and were kept very clean.

Breakfast
Buffet with fresh fruit, cornflakes, baguette bread (that can be heated up in an oven), fresh vegetables (tomatoes, cucumber), jam & butter- moreover you can order from the kitchen some hot items, such as eggs, sausages & bacon, fried rice & fried noodles.
For drinks they had tea, coffee and juices available.
Overall the breakfast was very tast and an excellent selection for the price of the room.
The WIFI was reliable and fast, and worked well in both rooms I stayed.
The AC was strong and easy adjustable.

The hotel really offers a five star service. All staff I met had a genioune friendliness, were incredibly helpful and seemed to enjoy working there.

I cannot fault anything abou this hotel, thus recommend it 100% to everybody

Room Tip: The hotel has 8 floors, with 3 rooms per floor (1 standard, 1 superior & 1 deluxe) The elevator...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MySunnyDays1
Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The hotel is run very well. The staff are very keen to make your stay as good as possible. My room was very clean and well serviced.
Proximity to everything was wonderful. A short walk to Hoan Kiem Lake and the night markets. The breakfast provided was really good and plentiful.
I love the street food in the Old Quarter which was my reason for finding a hotel here.
Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The standard room was OK for me as I was on my own. As a couple, pay the extra few dollars and get t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Shivo
Munich
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had our first stay in Hanoi here and we can highly recommend it. Good restaurant, very good service. We planned our trip to Sapa from here and we could come back here on our further trip to Ninh Binh, get another shower, had another breakfast although we hadn't booked another room but only stored our luggage. That was something outstanding, we had in no other hotel at the whole trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mulwala, Australia
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed a total of 4 days here & we were very happy with the level of service, cleanliness & location.
The breakfast was just OK but considering the size of this hotel that is to be expected.
The only downside was the bed. " OMG it was hard" & for us soft westerners we woke up thinking we had been hit by a bus, but that is usual for Asia.
We send our thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for front room with balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple