“Great view.... Expensive for Hanoi”
Review of Sen Raku - CLOSED

Sen Raku
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed October 14, 2013

They grab you at the front & take you upstairs... I know it's their job but.....Tiny balcony great view.
Fresh glass with 2 nod drink would have been nice. Turned off by prices of food - especially with not including 10% tax on bottom of page.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

What a lovely restaurant, with a view of Hoan Kiem Lake that is both lovely and inspiring. The waitstaff are VERY attentive and, the first time, I only ordered the Tekka Maki, cucumber sushi, for 35.000 VND ($1.75 US). They treated me as though I ordered a huge amount of food and this has been consistent with both ordering this or a large sushi platter. My order of Tekka Maki was a "test" to see how well their sushi is made and the freshness of their ingredients. It was freshly rolled, with 8 pieces. If I need a snack in the old quarter, this is one of the places where I go now. So far, I have only had sushi here 5 or 6 times!

All of their sushi is wonderful! Their small sushi platter (203.000 VND - $10 US) is a good meal by itself. I have had this 3 times. They have a large one for near 500.000 VND - $25 US. I hope to bring a friend to try that.

The small platter is comprised of 8 ahi rolls (maki sushi) and four nigiri sushi (hand rolls): maguro (tuna), hamachi (yellow tuna), ebi (shrimp) and hokkigai (sea clam). One time, there was tako (octopus) instead of hokkigai. Also, the last time that I was there, there was no tuna (ahi)! And salmon was substituted. It was still wonderful! Al are well prepared and tasty. This same spread, in the US, would cost closer to $40-50 US!

One time, I went later in the day and the sushi were too close to room temperature. I advised the manager (who speaks good English) that the cook staff must be sure to return all fish and sea food to refrigeration between preparing any other items. They must be served cold. She thanked me for the advice.

It is not hard to find as it is almost straight across the street from the Ho Bo bus station where many bus routes stop. Look at your tourist map if you need to go far. Cheaper than a taxi with much more of a true flavor of Viet Nam in real life!

I strongly recommend this place for the sushi/sashimi.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This restaurant is nicely located overlooking Hoan Kiem lake, in the Old Quarter of Hanoi. The interior is neat and well presented.

We found the food to be extremely tasty and visually appealing at reasonable prices (expect tourist prices though). What made this place stand out for us though, was the exceptional service. The waitstaff were attentive, offering service with a smile and very quick to accomadate our needs.

We will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The resturant is located in tourist area of Hanoi. The service was terrible and waitress plus management spoke no english or Japanese (which I speak fluently). This should have been the warning to get up and run. I decided to stay and see if the food was any better. My sushi was old (no choice but to leave) the noodle dish I ordered contained a cocker roach. I was shocked to say the least. On complaing the waitress said sorry and that was it. I then confronted the manager who said he would offer me a 10 % on my next visit. The cheek. I was most annoyed and now I feel its my duty to warn you all to avoid this bad resturant masquerading as an authentic Japanese resturant. There was no japanese to be found. For real japanese food head in the area of the Japanese embassy where all resturant s are 100% authentic Japanese cousine.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

I love Japanese food but was at first nervous because we were the only diners. We sat on a tiny balcony with a lovely view of Hoan Kiem Lake. The staff were very attentive and offered to let us move seats if it became too sunny. The waiter showed us a menu with about 6 different lunch sets and we both chose kimchi pork which along with 2 small bottles of Asahi came to a total of VND400,000. The meals were fresh, well-presented and very tasty. The portion sizes were large and we were unable to finish. The waiter cleared the table and brought us some fresh rockmelon to finish. Free Internet is a bonus.