“Best place to stay in Hanoi - amazing staff!!”

Tu Linh Palace Hotel
Ranked #87 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Melbourne, Australia
“Best place to stay in Hanoi - amazing staff!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This has to be our favourite hotel that we have stayed in during our 6 week trip in South East Asia! We have never met such friendly hotel staff, they really made us feel so at home. We were sad to leave!! The standard room that we opted for was brilliant, very cosy, comfy beds, quiet aircon, fridge and lovely bath! The breakfast was always delicious, cooked to order, very tasty omelettes with hot dog or bacon and baguette! The staff were so sweet that they made us food on the first night and welcomed us by sharing some of their traditional drinks, so we spent 3 hours happily chatting away with them and learning lots of interesting things about Vietnam. Where else can you do this? Mr Chin is a fantastic manager! We loved getting to know the staff - Tum, Min and River! We booked the Halong Bay tour through the hotel and went on the Halong Dolphin Cruise! It was wonderful, a packed fun itinerary and amazing sea food. We also booked our train tickets through the hotel, they helped us plan everything!!! Definitely stay here its fabulous!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky-Chris-Aus2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend for 3 nights on April 6, 2013. The hotel is the old quarter district of Hanoi and very close to all the historical sites and shopping areas. It's a small, boutique hotel. The room we stayed at was clean and well maintained. Everyday, we were provided a fresh green mango. I like the ripe yellow ones myself, so we just bought some from the local market. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a reasonable place to stay in Hanoi.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 503
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gerry A
London
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at the end of March for 2 nights. We were able to check in early after a very early morning flight. Our room was on the 5th floor and spacious with a lovely clean bathroom (although you do need to pull blinds down to get some privacy from the glass door). The air-con was quiet and efficient.
The location, in the Old Quarter of the city, is very convenient but not too busy so the constant hooting of horns won't keep you awake!
The real bonus of this hotel though is the staff as they are so friendly and helpful. Allowing us to leave our bags with them even after we had been away for a few days in Hoi An, they then also all great location

Room Tip: Floor 5 at the front - room 501 was great!
2 Thank Lizbuff26
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I can say this is one of the decent and a good hotel in best location. If you are staying as a couple or family, go for this hotel. Highly recommended.Fresh fruits, tea, coffee and fresh juice are always available. Breakfast also was really nice and simple. Rooms were very clean. Staffs were so friendly and nice to us. They themselves arranged for halong bay tour and also city tour which was very convenient for us. But private day tour was bit expensive. Even the city tour we felt it was overrated. Manager of this hotel, Mr,Tim is really a helpful guy, one can approach him for any issues. Me and my husband were really comfortable for 3 days. We stayed there for 2 nights in a "no window" deluxe room . On the whole, if you are searching for a good hotel in a good location for budget price, then you can book this one without any hesitation. You will never regret for choosing this!!

Room Tip: If you are not going to stay inside the hotel for full day, then you can book no window room. Best f...
1 Thank Akila_Jegan
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Our experience at Tu Linh Palace began long before we arrived, with a long exchange via email with Ms Bac. She answered every question promptly and courteously, and her inexhaustible willingness to assist is unrivaled, in my experience. We organised accommodation, tours to Sa Pa and Ha Long Bay, and an airport pick-up & drop-off via email, and paid in advance (with a nice little discount for advanced payment, too). Ms Bac also took note of our dietary requirements (to be forwarded to the tour guides).

Upon arrival at the hotel (the airport pickup was punctual, clean car and good driver) we were warmly greeted by Tim, the other manager at the hotel. We were invited to have a drink and some fruit (which is available all day at no cost), and shown to our room. We had booked the honeymoon suite on the 6th floor, and it did not disappoint. The room was very clean, airy, light and quiet. Bed was a proper king, very comfortable. Bathroom was large, and shower was big with good water pressure and a lot of hot water. Breakfast was included, and although the selection was limited, it was all very fresh and we were encouraged by Tim to eat as much as we could fit in.

Both tours we went on (2 nights Ha Long Bay - 1 night on boat, 1 night in hotel on Cat Ba island/ Sa Pa 2 day - overnight train return and one night in hotel in Sa Pa Town) were excellent, with good tour guides who spoke good English. A few tips - Ha Long Bay is beautiful, and you see a lot more if you go to Cat Ba Island rather than staying 2 nights on the boat. On Cat Ba island, make sure you visit 8x cafe on the main road on the harbour, it was our favourite, with great coffee and delicious smoothies and cocktails!). Sa Pa overnight train isn’t too bad, and it gets very cold in Sa Pa so make sure you take a lot of warm clothes.

Upon our return to Hanoi, we found that the hotel had overbooked and our original room wasn’t available. Ms Bac and Tim were extremely apologetic, and after one night in a delux room we moved into another bigger room. It wasn’t quite as large as the suite on the 6th floor, but it was very comfortable and the amenities were just as good, so we weren’t bothered. Overbooking can happen anywhere, especially with online booking systems, and the staff at Tu Linh went to great lengths to amend for the (very minor) inconvenience to us. We were, of course, refunded the difference, and other things (at the discretion of the management) were also done by way of apology - all which were greatly appreciated. The staff went out of their way to make us feel at home, and as comfortable as possible. We were always greeted by name, with a warm smile and queries about our day. Taxis were called for us whenever we needed, restaurants or spas booked for us. Tim even went with my boyfriend to help him reload a sim card, and he brought me a box of tissues when I had a bit of a sniffle. We also got a lot of washing done here, as it was cheap and quick. Hotel is also in the perfect location for exploring the Old Quarter, and is very near most attractions and good restaurants.

Overall, the quality of service exceeded even the high standard of Vietnamese hospitality, and certainly was the best I’ve ever experienced, anywhere in the world. There wasn’t anything we didn’t love about staying at Tu Linh, from the cleanliness of the rooms and restaurant to the warmth and generosity of the staff. The five nights we had were not enough, and with any luck we will return to Hanoi in the near future, and will definitely be staying at Tu Linh Palace.

Room Tip: Top floor honeymoon suite 601 is fantastic, but even the rooms on first floor at the front are not t...
2 Thank PrincessBella67
Kent, England
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights in March and used it as a base to explore the Old Quarter, so it's location was perfect being within easy reach of most of the tourist sights. On my first trip to Hanoi in 2011 I had stayed at the excellent Charming 2 which is a only metres from the Tu Linh Palace. I went for the Tu Linh this time based on price and good reviews, because I was staying longer so the extra cost of the Charming 2 became a factor.

The first thing you notice about the Tu Linh is that it's a narrow building and that means everything is going to be a bit small. The reception is tiny and the dining area behind it is not very big either, but that being said they still have everything you need (including 2 lifts/elevators).

That applies to the rooms too. I was upgraded to a deluxe room which, although not big, had everything I needed i.e air conditioning with remote control, great ensuite bathroom with hot shower and good water pressure any time of day, wifi, digital code room safe, mini bar fridge, ample wardrobe space, wall mounted flat screen TV, even fresh fruit on the day of my arrival.

The room was clean and tastefully decorated with a light wood theme and being on the 3rd floor at the rear of the hotel it was relatively quiet even though it had a small window to the side. (Anyone who's been to Hanoi will know that traffic noise is constant and can be disturbing).

The wifi connection was a bit patchy until I found the best spot in my room for reception (there are two desktop PCs downstairs in the dining area too, which are always useful for transferring pictures, fast typing, etc.)

I also have to praise the staff (especially Tim and Bac on reception) who were so friendly, kind and helpful the whole time I was there. It was Womens Day when I was there and they showed me on the maze of roads on the map where I could find a good flower shop and a good cake shop too. Nothing was too much trouble for them, and that includes all the waiting and cleaning staff who were always polite, friendly, and keen to help. Really all a credit to the hotel. And they weren't pushy in offering tours either, simply making me aware of their services. Just right.

I only ate there at breakfast time and enjoyed the Pho Bo and lovely fresh bread, although I also tried the bacon, egg and sausage option too. There was always plenty of fresh fruit and strong coffee too. And the extra plus was the fresh fruit juice which was available all day long (just what you need after walking about on a hot day!)

So in all I would thoroughly recommend the Tu Linh Palace based on it's location, plus the great value and level of service it offers and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the rear of the hotel for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank trailfinder58
Reviewed March 29, 2013

To summarise my experience at Tu Linh Palace Hotel, it is one of the best travel experience I had. Ms Bac was patient in answering all my emails so I could get all the answers that I need for the trip. She also explained carefully on thẻ experience on what each tour could offer. She also helped out greatly in planning out the best itinerary I could get on the trip.

Upon entering the room, it had a homely feel and it ís extremly clean. It offers a good shower room as well. I enjoyed the layout of the room in general. Though the price of the room is a little high, the real comfort was the exchanging factor for it.

The staff is adept at solving issues that travellers had at hand. For example, Tim the manager personally walked me to the shop to get 3G access on the first day. On the last day, he got his friend to drive me around so that I can buy the things I need. Being a frequent traveller, it is small little things as such which can brighten your trip by leaps and bounds.

The hotel serves a hearty breakfast which I really enjoyed a lot. The ingredients are really fresh and the coffee has a soft hazelnut flavour which I bought some of it home. The staff always made sure that you are well fed and you could always request for more in the event should the food not be sufficient.

It is a great experience to stay in this hotel and I would give points in their effort to make my travel stress free and organised everything neatly for me. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who prefers a botique hotel which offers a homely feeling and have staff who genuinely wants to make you enjoy your trip to the maximum.

• Stayed March 2013