“Perfect place to start our holiday!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa
Ranked #18 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect place to start our holiday!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

Essence exceeded out expectations! The staff were so friendly, authentic and helpful. The food was amazing! We ended up eating in the hotel most of the time because we were spoilt with service and amazing traditional Vietnamese fresh food! They helped us plan our trips to sapa and halong bay! Which turned out to be amazing! Even after our trips they let us shower and store our baggage so we had absolutely no worries the whole time! The staff member that stood out was Steve he was always happy, helpful and smiling! Essence even arranged for us to stay in another hotel the last night of our stay in Hanoi and they were booked out! Before we boarded the car transfer to airport Steve and another staff member came to see us on our way with a huge smile wishing us the best of luck on our travels and thank us for staying with them! I could go on and on about how amazing everything was! But you should go experience it for yourself! A big thanks to everyone at essence hotel!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachelthetravelbug

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Excellent hotel in a great location in the heart of the old quarter. Rooms are very spacious and very comfortable. The restaurant is fantastic with great food at reasonable prices with very attentive staff. The restaurant was full every night and you need to book to ensure you get a table. The staff on the front desk were extremely helpful. They arranged our visas before our arrival in Vietnam, transport and package to Ha Long Bay. Nothing was too much trouble for them, even when our flights were changed, they managed to alter any bookings we had made without any fuss. If you are visiting Hanoi this is definitely the place to stay.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed at the essence for 3 nights at the end of our trip to Vietnam. It is in a great situation in the 'Old Quarter' and provided an oasis of peace and calm in an area that is just buzzing with every aspect of Vietnamese life. The staff were wonderful, friendly and helpful, recommending places to visit - many places of interest within walking distance, although walking in Hanoi is an adventure on its own, we managed to navigate our way around the city with the help of the hotel map - which proved invaluable. The food was wonderful and we ate in the restaurant several times, reasonably priced too. rooms 809? and 606 were lovely - we could not fault the hotel in any way - it was better than some of the 5 star hotels we have stayed at and only having 30 rooms the service was so much more personal. If we are ever in Hanoi again (and I hope we will be) this is definitely the only place we would stay.

Room Tip: I dont think all the standard rooms have a window (but this means no noise from the street) the del...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

Clean rooms. Very reasonably priced. Right in the heart of the old quarter (note this means that there are lots of buildings around you and you can see into people's houses) and a short walk to everything. The staff were always very helpful and told us which way to go pretty much everyday we were in Hanoi. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have spent all week at the Essence Hotel and am due to depart tomorrow. I cannot recommend the hotel highly enough. The rooms are very comfortable and provide every amenity you might need, including mini-bar, cable tv and best of all, the laptop I'm using now!

Staff are OUTSTANDING! Nothing is too much trouble. When I needed to hire a decent motorbike helmet for a trip up country, they arranged for the guy from the hire shop to come to the hotel with a selection for me to choose from, and they took care of the whole arrangement. I checked out after 2 nights for my overnight trip, and they stored all my baggage and valuables for me whilst I was away.

I made an embarrassing mistake over my mini-bar usage when I checked out first time, as I had bought extra soft drinks in the local shop, and inadvertently scooped 2 Cokes from the mini bar in with my luggage, thinking they were some of the ones I bought. Therefore, having not drunk them, I was most insistent that these 2 mystery drinks should be taken off my bill. The young lady on Reception was most gracious about this and did not argue. I didn't realise my mistake until I returned the next day and the penny dropped as to what I had done. I immediately apologised profusely to the young lady and insisted the drinks be added to my next bill. Again, she was very gracious about this, and I felt terrible, considering that she would probably have been held liable for the cost if I hadn't 'fessed up...

I was initially on the 5th Floor which is nice and quiet, but was later moved to the 2nd Floor for my remaining nights. That was not great as there are staff offices on that floor and there was quite a bit of noise, chatter and comings and goings from early in the morning. However, I raised this with Reception and they were good enough to return me to my previous room on the 5th Floor, without any fuss.

The hotel's restaurant is very good, although I have only eaten dinner here once, due to the plethora of choices within metres. Breakfast is excellent; a really nice selection of sweet and savoury treats, and eggs, pancakes or French toast are all cooked to order.

The Essence is probably slightly more expensive that some of the other boutique hotels in the area but it is well worth the small extra outlay. The location could not be more perfect, right in the heart of the action.

Staff take the time and courtesy to always welcome you back in the evening and enquire as to your day. If I return to Hanoi, this will definitely be my first choice of hotel.

Don't hesitate - just book, because it's a small hotel and books up quickly!

Room Tip: Room 506 is a Deluxe Twin with good sized twin beds; I had it to myself and really liked this room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank FizzM0
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Perfect stay at this justifiably popular boutique hotel. Modern rooms, friendly staff, great location, delicious buffet breakfast . Hotel restaurant served me my most memorable lunch of the trip too. Location smack dab in heart of French Quarter which had its plus and minus.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank GerOpp101
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We selected this hotel from the postings on TA and were glad we did. The service may be the best service we have experienced, from the boys on the door, the welcoming check-in desk inside the door to the kitchen staff at the back, they all did a great job and with a cheerful smile.
A special thank you to Sophie for fixing our cancelled Air Asia flights the day before we left.
The hotel is also located in the old town area which makes it a great location as well.
Give it a try. It has an ANZ ATM out front which was handy as well.