“Authentic Vietnamese Food”
Review of Restaurant 96

Restaurant 96
Ranked #108 of 2,225 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Authentic Vietnamese Food”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Middle of the road prices. Staff are very friendly and talked us through our meals, even giving us a demonstration on the 'correct' way to construct and eat it.
Delicious!

• Thai first
Sydney, Australia
“Great service”
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Excellent service, helpful staff, but the chef could do with more bold flavours. Located in a quietish street (more shops and eating places for locals than tourists) in the Old City, Hoan Kiem District, adjacent to the Tirant Hotel. I ordered a freshly squeezed tomato juice with some added fresh chili and pepper (wanted to see what a Virgin Mary would taste like with all original ingredients) but was disappointed when it arrived with a column of ice. I must admit one of my dislikes is fresh fruit/vegetable juice with ice - an instant flavour diminisher and value detractor! They asked how I liked the drink and offered me another without the ice - which I accepted gladly but was surprised to see it included in the bill. The fresh papaya salad with dried shredded beef, one of my favourite salads, was pretty good, albeit a bit too sweet and less tangy than it might be. Beef roasted with lemongrass and chilli came with each chunk of beef attractively wrapped around a whole and roasted lemongrass stem, accompanied by rice and cabbage salad. Nicely done but not as flavourful as I anticipated - maybe needed something like lime to add to it. The beef was slightly tough - but Vietnamese colleagues often say this is routine and that's why Australian beef is often served as well in some restaurants, at substantially higher prices. There was good understanding of local requirements when ordering coffee - do you want with condensed milk in the coffee (as typical in Vietnam, very sweet) or separate, or would you prefer fresh milk - again "in" or "on the side". Beats trying to make oneself understood. The ginger ice-cream ordered to accompany my coffee was pretty good too. Would be happy to go back but would try alternative dishes. Total price - around 323,000 Dong, around $16.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank AntSydney
Waihi, New Zealand
“Fantastic Food, Service and Value”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Fabulous place! Three of us had lunch there and ate traditional food - my hubby and I had Bun Cha, our friend had the Cha Com and we had two Tiger Beer each, coming to a grand total of VND508,000 (around US$24). The food was delicious and Bun Cha is one of the meals I have tried to recreate back home in NZ... still dreaming about the one I had here at Restaurant 96. Service was fantastic. Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Jen_Aotearoa
Penang
“Great taste of local food in a restaurant setting”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

With young children we didn't want to risk street food but we tried to look out for good Vietnamese restaurants and particularly enjoyed this one, all dishes were nice and the icecream to round out the meal was moreish!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Shami S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“sadly the worst meal in vietnam”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

unfortunately the meal we had here was really poor.

the day we attended was not particularly busy but the service was slow to begin with. and then it deteriorated when the food arrived! i ordered fish baked in clay pot, my partner had squid.

i eat a lot of fish/seafood and know when fish is old. the fish was way over cooked, it was soooo dry and overcooked you could hardly chew it. and the only taste i could identify was of fish that was turning into old/decaying fish. it was truly aweful. after a few mouths i had to send it back (first time in 3 months travelling). the staff were particularly unhelpful, saying that is how it is meant to be cooked and there was nothing wrong with it. i challenged them to try a mouthful and after she sampled it they agreed to cook me another. i declined and to their credit they did not charge me.

my partners dinner has extremely bland but at least was edible!

• Visited July 2012