“Great food !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hoa Sua Training Restaurant - CLOSED

Hoa Sua Training Restaurant
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, French
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Song Thu Restaurant, located in the Ba Dinh district, is just a short cab ride from downtown Ha Noi. It's French influence on menu and decor give a warm invite for locals and visitors alike to enjoy a fine dining experience.Song Thu restaurant works with disadvantaged youth throughout Vietnam from the Hoa Sua School and encourages hands on experience working in the hospitality industry. Allowingthese students to practice their table service skills with customers allows for more practical adaptation, and gives them opportunities to make an earnest living.Nearly 8000 students from difficult circumstances have benefited from the quality professional training at the Hoa Sua School. After training, the students will be placed in full-time jobs in hotels and restaurants throughout Vietnam.With outdoor and indoor seating available, Song Thu welcomes big tour groups and corporate meetings to come enjoy a meal together, with set menus available for all to enjoy French and Vietnamese cuisine prepared by Hoa Sua School students!Also available is a cooking class, with a kitchen able to teach classes for 4-5 persons. Come learn how to cook your favourite Vietnamese and French dishes!Call now for a reservation and we hope to see you soon!
Lyon
“Great food !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

The best food I have in Vietnam, spring rolls are delicious and the Bun Bo is the best I had so far.
The terrasse is really peacefull and people are really nice. I went there several times during my stay in Hanoi.

Tokyo, Japan
“not a French restaurant nor a training restaurant any more”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Although the restaurant mainatins the same sign board, the chef and the manager must be different from those of the actual training restaurant.
The present restaurant lost entire French style. They serve Britsh bread instead of French baguette. They do not even try to manage orders of the dishes. Pasta came first for one person before his soup. Each disch came separately when they became available. When most of my friends were served with second dish, I had nothing even the first dish, the soup. Then my gratin came. It was not a gratin, but just a baked zucchini and cheese. Lastly, my soup came when I was struggling with the "gratin".
So, this does not work as a training at all. They should be told by some one to serve properly.
The wines were terribly kept so that so called French wine became spoild in a warmed bottle.
We were group of 5 people with different dishes, but none of us was satisfied with the taste, even considering the price.
So, if you care about foods and training of children, perhaps you should try other "training restaurants" in Hanoi.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Ogimoto
Gatineau, Canada
“The best restaurant in Hanoi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

The restaurant was amazing, extremely good. In all the places we visited, this was the best one. The service was excellent and all the waiters and waittresses were cheerful. There was a lot of choices for food, and the smooties were incredible.
I recommend it to everybody!

Brooklyn, NY
“Pleasant experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I read about this training restaurant in a guide book and was excited to check it out. Overall, I had a very pleasant experience.

Food - I chose the vegetarian set menu. The tofu and tomato soup was pretty tasty, but needed some spices. After eating so much pho here in Hanoi, this soup was less seasoned in comparison. The spring rolls were delicious; I gobbled them up quickly. The banana flower salad with tofu was my favorite course. So refreshing, light, and citrus-y. My dessert was black rice with coconut milk. Pretty good, but by that point I was stuffed. The set also came with a nice glass of red wine.

Service - the students were attentive, prompt, professional, helpful and engaging. Their teacher also checked in with me. They clearly want to ensure that diners are happy. They even helped to get me a taxi back to my hotel.

Sadly, I was the only one dining when I was at the restaurant. It's such a beautiful building with wonderful students/teachers, and the restaurant supports a great cause. I'm hoping it was just an off night, as this restaurant is definitely deserving of more attention.

Essex
“A good cause but front of house staff let down by chef”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We wanted to visit this restaurant as we had read on Trip Advisor of the good cause it supports.
The building they are in is obviously old, and colonial in appearance. We were the only customers in the evening we were there. My husband ordered a traditional Vietnamese duck dish, and I ordered Sole with Almonds. We also ordered a bottle of white wine.
My sole dish was fine, the fish was cooked well, and the potatoes served with it were hot, but my husband’s duck was so tough it was inedible, and he returned it. The staff did not appear to know what to do when the meal wasn’t satisfactory and obviously had no training in this respect. After some discussion, my husband then asked for some fried rice as a replacement, as he didn't want to risk the same thing happening again with the duck dish, and I was nearly finished with my meal by this point. Unfortunately when the rice arrived it was overcooked and dry. Although the staffs were very apologetic and polite about the issues, they still charged us for both the duck & the rice dishes, and charged us for the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu, rather than the mid price one we actually had. After much discussion, with them insisting the bill was correct, they finally amended the wine to the correct price and took the price of the duck dish from the menu.
We really wanted to like this place due to the cause it supports, but whoever is training the staff needs to make sure that the chef & the food is good enough, and that the front of house staff know how to deal with customers when they do have problems with their meals as part of their training. There was no one senior there that night to guide or help them when we sent the meal back or to sort out the issue with the overcharging on the bill.

Visited February 2013