“so so food”

Milan Restaurant
Ranked #446 of 2,240 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Our relaxed Milan Restaurant awakens all your senses, providing the best of authentic Italian cuisine. Located on the second floor of the main building, the restaurant blends modern European with rustic Asian design, enhanced with touches of vivid colour. Revel in the magic of watching authentic Italian cuisine prepared in our open kitchen or choose one of our private dining rooms for a more intimate experience.
London, United Kingdom
“so so food”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I don't really think this restaurant derserves a 5 star hotel restaurant as the food is very so so. I ordered seafood pasta, the taste is just like in normal Italian restaurant. The decoration is average too. I would expect more as this restaurant is operated by Intercontinental

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank lanna87

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
“not very good”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I tried food here once and I don't think the foods are good enough or maybe the foods don't match to my taste

Visited March 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Hidden Italian Gem in Hanoi”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Great food - the best Italian we have had in Hanoi. Located at the Intercontinental Westlake.
Great Service - some of the best waiters in Hanoi.
Great Setting - authentic soft furnishings create the right atmosphere.
Value for money - you get what you pay for! ... So yes it is value for money.

Go to the Intercontinental's Diplomat's Bar and enjoy a cocktail beforehand - happy hour until 7 pm.

1 Thank David G
Cusco, Peru
“Located inside the Intercontinental Westlake Hotel - Great Food & Service”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Milan is a very good mid-range Italian restaurant. It's fancy enough to entertain business guests or family, though I wouldn't consider it exclusive by any means. The service was very attentive and prompt. Food was excellent - pastas were al dente and bursting with flavor. Lots of vegetarian options.

• Visited March 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
“Class, Style and Great Food to boot!”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

When planning special occasions in Hanoi, there are two core principles I have come to understand:

1. Ask people you trust where they would go for something special
2. Once decided, contact the venue and plan the occasion with them

These principles I utilized on the recent occasion of my wife’s birthday. I asked around a few people and Milan Restaurant at the Intercontinental Hotel came up. Now, usually, based upon previous experience in different places around the world, I steer clear of hotel restaurants. They often have a reputation for being overpriced, underwhelming and, well, bland. However, every now and then it is nice to find exceptions. Milan Restaurant is one such exception.

I made contact with the Asst F&B Manager, a Mr Thang. Quite the professional, expressing delight that we would choose Milan to celebrate the evening. We emailed back and forth a few times, Mr Thang not missing any important details. Simple enough scenario: pre-dinner drinks, outside if appropriate, inside if not; a relaxed dinner in a non-smoking area, with some kind of birthday cake if possible. We agreed on times and left it at that. Bear in mind, to Mr Thang I am simply some random stranger planning an evening for his wife. But, he treated me as important and understood that my goal was to see my wife treated as a VIP for the evening, which she so richly deserves.

Upon arrival at the Intercontinental we wandered upstairs from the Lobby. As soon as we got close to the restaurant, so I could confirm our reservation before drinks, they knew who we were without me even having to say my name. They were fully prepared. We were warmly escorted to the bar and seated. Shortly afterwards, Mr Thang came up and introduced himself and wished my wife a Happy Birthday. Our table was ready for us whenever we wanted it – drink at our leisure. After a half-hour or so, we stroll into the restaurant, again welcomed by staff who fuss over my wife and make her feel special. Just perfect. Shortly after we are seated, Mr Thang brings the F&B Manager who also gives his best wishes. Throughout the evening we experienced the highest level of warm and professional service imaginable.

So to the restaurant itself. It is a revelation. Expansive, modern, interesting, open-kitchen, large dining tables in alcoves and in the open, tastefully designed. I love it. Currently they are having a Wagyu beef and Jacobs Creek wine promotion. Interesting combination. Premium beef with average Australian table wine. Not sure that really is such a great idea, but if you want free flow wine, that’s the way to go. Speaking of wine, the wine list is substantial, diverse and very high quality. And expensive. As expected. I found an excellent example of a McLaren Vale Shiraz which turned out to be a 2005 vintage, drinking well. We enjoyed this very much.

We both ended up ordering Black Angus steaks. Mine a 300g, my wife’s a 200g. I have to say these could have been better. A little dry, not cooked precisely as ordered and confusion reigned over the vegetables as what was on the menu failed to appear, causing a separate order. Still. It was a good meal which we enjoyed. The bread basket provided (and topped up) is excellent. A range of fresh bread sticks, corn bread and sour dough with a delicious tomato & garlic spread. There was no rush with our meals and everything appeared at the right moment. When asking about the vegetables, this situation was well handled and quickly resolved.

A waiter quietly whispered in my ear that the birthday treat was ready. We pondered dessert menus then, grandly, I suggested we wait a few moments. Shortly, a serving of the chocolate and rosemary pudding with walnut ice cream appeared with a candle happily burning. Thankfully, nobody sang Happy Birthday…! But the gesture was appreciated as we shared dessert together. Mr Thang then quietly let me know that this was a gift to us for my wife’s birthday, complimentary courtesy of Milan Restaurant. A small gesture, but unnecessary and appreciated. Five star class at work.

It would be easy to drop a star here for the main meals being less than perfect. But somehow that would seem churlish. I was looking for a pleasant, relaxed evening where my wife was made to feel special. Milan Restaurant delivered precisely what I was looking for, so five stars from me.

• Visited March 2011