“Great Ho(s)tel”

Ranked #37 of 385 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Basel, Switzerland
“Great Ho(s)tel”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

It is not a Backpackers Hostel but a fantastic hotel. The rooms are very clean, with TV, A/C, rain shower, confy beds and a nice view over hanoi. The location is great and can't be better in the old town and a lot of shops and restaurants are just next to the Hotel. the staff is very helpful and they do everything for you. We really enjoyed our stay there!

Room Tip: Nice view from the rooms up on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear tinniwinni

On behalf of all staffs in May De Ville Backpackers Hostel We would like to send a sincere thank like a small gift to you for staying with us and marvelous recommendation on Tripadvisor website.

Take care our customers and honest is our original concept to build up May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, almost of our guest felt and highly appreciated them.

Reading your review, we are so happy to know that you were satisfied with our services. All of staffs in May De Ville Backpackers Hostel really want to express our special thanks for your review with very nice words " Great Ho(s)tel ", " the lovely staff. Can't wait to return to see you all again "...

Thank you for choosing May De Ville Backpackers Hostel to be part of your memorable journey and we hope to see you again in Hanoi and hope that we will still be your first choice for your next visit.

Have a nice day!

May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Hoi An
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We used May de Ville as our main base while we were in Hanoi...we hadn't planned to but it was so nice we kept going back. We had a private room which was really clean and spacious. The staff really take good care of you, arranging tours and transportation when needed, but also just very friendly and helpful. Location is perfect-cant really fault the place! Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Laura , Peter and Sheevaun.
On behalf of the whole team , we sincerely thank you for such a priceless, kind and touching encouragement which is truly, as we know, from your heart. We cannot believe that you have been so impressed that a lot of thrilling compliments were written down for all the good things of our May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

It’s really a fantastic feeling to know that what we have made your holiday comfortable and memorable in deed by our recommendations..Vice versa, we also had a great opportunity to meet courteous, lovely and friendly guests like, that’s highly significant to us.

We also feel so thankful for your highlight about our service. And our commitment to guests is making even better jobs than the best to ensure the trustful quality of services. Absolutely, the guests’ feedbacks like yours are such important orientations for May De Ville Backpackers Hostel’s enhancement, that’s why we are always listening.

Once again, we appreciate everything you have shared with us very much and wish you all good health, good luck and have wonderful trips around the world.

Ninh Binh, Vietnam
Reviewed September 20, 2013

A fantastic place, very helpful staff, clean rooms, a decent sized social area and right next to bia hoi junction!! The travel agent Michael was extremely helpful, he helped us with our trip to Halong Bay and Sapa and even sorted our night bus from Ninh Binh to Hue. Excellent service and it made our trip so much easier!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Chelsea K
Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
It has been a pleasure having you as our resident and we are glad to have provided you with a memorable experience.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us - we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back on another occasion and please do keep your good health!

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I am a female and I travelled to Hanoi and just got back a few days ago. I emailed May de Ville a few days before when I was supposed to arrive in Hanoi and I got a prompt email the next day. I planned on just staying 1 night in this hostel then 1 night in Ninh Binh and then back to May de Ville after that. I arrived at the airport at 12:30am and my airport pick up was waiting for me with a placard with my name. My driver had a minor altercation with the police -something about parking for a long time at the airport parking lot - which ate about half an hour so I arrived at around 3:30 am at the hostel and there was still a receptionist at the front desk.
I stayed in the mixed dorm at $5 a night with free buffet breakfast.
I wanted to pay for the whole duration of my stay but the receptionist would only take my money just for that night. It was a very minor inconvenience cuz i like everything paid upfront so I wouldnt have to worry later on but it also showed me that they're honest people and they're not out to get my money.
The next day, I met Michael. I think he's the manager. He helped me with my tour. He was very nice and made sure I was okay. And he doesnt just sees me as another guest. Im surprised how he remembers what we talked about and my plans. Some hostel people just forget about you once they get your money but he is different. He's the same with the other guests too.
The room was cery clean. I was on the 9th floor. The elevator goes only until the 8th so I have to take the stairs to the dorm room. Which is fine with me but some people may not like that.
The dorm is a narrow room. You see the restroom on the right side when you enter and then after that is the locker area which is quite big. Mine is on the bottom and the length goes up to my chest and im 5'4. I think id fit inside if i sit inside with some room above my head. Its really wuite big. Then right next to the lockers are the bunk beds. There are 6beds and all are facing a window. There are also electrical sockets right next to the beds which is really convenient. The bed is very comfy! Comfier than my private bed in siem reap. And the duvet was plush that it was pure joy to sink underneath it.

Breakfast is served at 6:30am in the 10th floor. Its buffet but the choices are not very extensive. But im nit picky. Buffet is already a great value for $5 a night bed. There are hams, watermelons, bananas cucumber, noddles with blanched veggies, 3kinds of breads, about 3 or 4 jams, vegetable salad, fried rice and sausages. They also had tea, coffee, and watermelon juice. You could ask for eggs to be cooked how you want it. I wanted mine over easy which they almost did right except the yolk was cooked too much and its not runny anymore.
Oh and youll be given a ticket for breakfast upon checkin which you have to give to the guy at the resto. I left mine once in the dorm and offered to go down and get it but he said it was okay and he just listed down my room number.

I also arranged a car with them to bring me back to the airport for $18 which is quite competitive because its much more expensive if i get one outside.

Also, michael pointed out the places to me on a map for my city tour. He tild me which place sells authentic and fake northface goods and things like that. He even sent me an email to ask how i was when i back to my home country. Thats great customer service! Their service doesnt end after i left the hostel.

• Stayed September 2013
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Loveen Ostrea.
It is such an incredible feeling to achieve your beautiful compliments , you have left impressive memories in our minds, which we feel warm and happy whenever thinking of.

Sincerely, we are grateful for not only your choice of May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, but your courtesy and open-heartedness to all of us also. We love reading your detailed review which mentioned about the quality of hotel facilities, excellent breakfast, great location and especially responsive and helpful staff. We are absolutely glad to know how satisfied you were and it is touching to hear that you found a HOME AWAY FROM HOME in Hanoi.

Your constructive support is completely priceless and appreciated by every member of May De Ville Backpackers Hostel . Thanks to that, our working spirit is reinforced and we strongly believe that the whole team is able to do it better with the desired purpose of exceeding every guest’s expectation.

We cannot say enough to thank you, and surely bid you a warm welcome at anytime you return to Hanoi.

Legazpi, Philippines
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I loved this place! It super cheap but with hotel-like amenities. As soon as I got in the reception, I thought I had booked a hotel! For $6 a night, I got free breakfast buffet and a fantastic dorm room. I shared the room with 6 other people. The room was cool enough, private bathroom, with lockers.

The staff were friendly and very easy to deal with. I lost my breakfast stub and the replaced it with no questions.

The only thing I did not like was the pressure of the bum gun was too much! haha!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ib_yang14
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear ib_yang14.
It is always a pleasure to share positive feedback wIt is our pleasure to welcome you to May De Ville Backpackers Hostel. On your trip, we know you have a variety of hotels to choose from and we were very happy when you decided choosing with us. We strive to provide you a room that is clean and comfortable, with friendly attentive service at a value conscious price. And we always want to be your first choice.

Thank you for sharing your recommend on Tripadvior. We would like to thank you for the warm compliments and comments of the hotel during recent stay with us. We will endeavour to continue to provide excellent customer service in creating a memorable stay and guest experience at the May De Ville Backpackers Hostel. It is always a pleasure to share positive feedback with our associates.

We trust your stay will be enjoyable and hope that you continue to use May De Ville Backpackers Hostel in the near future.

We look forward to serving you on your next trip and wish you the successful in your business and always happy in the life.

Thanks and Regards.
May De Ville Back Packers Hostel
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We absolutely loved this place- it was an oasis of cool and calm in the midst of the mad Old Quarter of Hanoi. We stayed in a private double room, which was very high quality, quiet and a good size. The bathroom was amazing- excellent water pressure and a huge showerhead. The breakfast was quite good (make sure you ask for eggs). We used the pool table on the 2nd floor and the cinema room looked good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Claire M
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Claire M

Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, Hanoi.

Thank you for taking a moment to write a review about your experience at our hotel. I am delighted to hear our service and accommodations made your trip to Hanoi a memorable one. Our staff prides themselves on being personable and helpful in every way possible. It is always appreciated when guests send us positive feedback and I look forward to sharing your compliments with my team.

We would like to thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you and your wife in the future if you are in Hanoi.

Kind regards,

Wales
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Saying this place is a hostel really does not do it enough justice. It should be a hotel - great location, friendly staff,immaculate rooms and excellent value for money. My friend and I stayed in separate rooms and they were a great way to start our trip. No hostel has even come close thus far.

My only complaint was that the tea and coffee were stone cold. I wasn't expecting a huge selection for breakfast considering how much we were paying but hot tea and strong coffee are a must. Other than that, great!

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Miss_K2008
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Miss_K2008
Thanks so much for your kind remarks about your stay at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel
Our goal is to make our home feel like yours while providing you with Hanoian tradition and customs experience,
Also, many thanks for your feedback to improve our hotel's services better and better. I will be sure to share your review with our team as we continue to bring you the best of our country lifestyle,
We look forward to welcoming you back soon,
Best wishes,