“May DeVille hostel”

Ranked #45 of 431 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at May Deville hostel very much be it a brief stay. Everything was spotlessly clean and had a quick check in and straight to the Dorm room where I was staying. Small room but great locker storage and comfortable beds and freezing cold AC. The location of this property is fantastic and for that alone makes it great value for money not to mention the buffet breakfast that was included. Would defiantly stay there again if I re visit Hanoi.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear Richie B
That was fantastic when reading your comment show up on tripadvisor dot com this morning and we are so appreciated about.
Your feedback and scores must be one of our best rewards that help me and my team go through the hard work daily just to make all guests just like you enjoyable and feel like home away from home.
Please be happy to inform that we are always looking forward for your returns soonest.
May De Ville Hostel

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed here in June for 6 nights in a private room.
The hostel arranged an airport pick up for me and it was ready and waiting as soon as i got to the airport.
The staff were lovely and attempted to remember your name.
The room itself was great, tv, en suit bathroom, all very clean, it was pretty much a hotel!
The only downfall was the wifi wasn't great and cut out for a day at time, but there are computers in the lobby if you really need it!

• Stayed: June 2013
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear MissRjM

Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay in our hostel on TripAdvisor. Your comments are invaluable in ensuring that we maintain our high standards of service for the future guests.

It’s a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and it’s even more rewarding to hear from you that you will recommend to your friend to stay with us.

All in all, thank you for your generous feedback. We, the hotel staffs and customer care team at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel Hanoi are looking forward to welcoming you to our residence again.

All The Best !!!

May De Ville Backpackers Hostel.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Decided to stay in this hostel after reading about the reviews. Exchanged lotsa of emails with them to finalize my travel itinerary in Hanoi. We basically signed up for all the tours we were interested with them to make things easier for us. They offered us a some discount for everything which we appreciate a lot as it makes budgeting easy. We took up Sapa, Halong Bay and Tam Coc tours with them which we enjoyed pretty much(do look up for my reviews on them) So yeah, their recommendation is safe. As for Hanoi city tour, I took up Hanoikids full day tour(is free).

Since we were using Hanoi more of a base point to visit the other areas, we only spent like 3nights in the hostel. We were offered free showers too while waiting for tours.

The hostel has very good wifi. The lower floors haves their own wifi hotspot but not so for the higher levels. We stayed in a double room. All came with A/C, heater and cable TV. the interior is just like of a Hotel. So I will say 25usd a night for the room is totally worthwhile. It also come with free breakfast. The breakfast buffet menu is the same every morning. A bit disappointing. Food are too dried but their watermelon juice is sure good. I recommend that if you are staying for long, to skip the breakfast and visit the street for some nicer breakfast which probably will cost you less than 3usd per pax.

More on the room itself. Stayed in 2different rooms - 8th and 5th floor. On their site, they said each private room comes with a computer that have assess to the internet. read their comment that they actually test the computers before allowing guests to check into them. Not so true at least for me. Both computers were not connected to the internet. also, the charger of the computer do not fit the wall plug. There are also refrigerator in the room which AGAIN cannot be on as the plug is different from the wall socket. Is funny that they provide so many electrical appliances but they can't be used. Totally made no sense to me.

Lastly, on the second last day of our stay in Hanoi, all the A/C in the hostel were down. Being summer, this is really bad. There weren't any fan or ventilation to keep the room cool. We didn't not receive any apology or what. It was a really bad experience. You kinda expect a where blackout is common here, there should at least be a backup.

Other than that, the staffs were very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floor have their own wifi. Bring more travel adaptors if you intend to use the re...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear WeiQiangSee

On behalf of our hotel management, I would send our sincerely thanks for your wonderful comment regarding our hotel staff, the room cleanness and room amenities, the location… It is always very gratifying to know you had a great vacation with services offered by our hotel team. I will be certain to pass on your wonderful comments to whole team. We promise to keep the service up to deserve your trust.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Manh Tien

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Myself and 2 friends stayed here for 3 nights at the end of May 2013. We booked for 2 nights in the dorm from hostelbookers. We chose this hotel for its location and seemingly good prices and good reviews.

We arrived at lunch time to check in, having already booked our room we didn't expect to find any problems. The hotel had double booked the dorm for our first night and we were given a better room for a "discounted price". After a 30 hour bus journey we couldn't be bothered to argue. The private room we were given was lovely with one double bed and one single. It was clean and had air con, wifi and a tv. Luxurious by our backpacker standards. We checked out at lunchtime and were made to wait for 2 hours in the lobby as the dorm still wasn't ready for us. After some arguing with the staff about what prices we would be paying for the dorm, we were given our beds. One bed had a broken locker so we tried to change the bed with reception which they said was fine; after we had told them which bed and locker they fixed it, but had again double booked one of our beds with a girl who had just arrived. So we had to clear up that situation before we could go out for the day.

I would say if you can get into the dorms this hostel is reasonably priced for budget backpackers. Although the wifi wasn't working on our floor, we were happy to have air con and breakfast included in the price.

The staff were friendly but pretty useless at communication which was what lead to our problems. Overall this was a good place to stay and I would stay again if in Hanoi.

• Stayed: May 2013
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear our Guest !
On behalf of our hostel management, I would send our sincerely thanks for your wonderful comment regarding our hotel staff, the room cleanness and room amenities, the location… It is always very gratifying to know you had a great vacation with services offered by our hotel team. I will be certain to pass on your wonderful comments to whole team. We promise to keep the service up to deserve your trust.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This Hostel was recommended to me by a school teacher who has been there before.
Our party of six was on a motor cross trip around the north off road Vietnam excellent brilliant
I can not speak highly enough of this hostel, picked up from the airport. rooms are highly finished
40 inch Sony Tv, air con ,lap top, safe, en suite in house phone and wi fi.and breakfast all for $25 us dollars a night. the manager and staff where extremely helpful.
Our rooms were cleaned every day,and no valuables went missing good honest staff.
We booked our trip through the Hostel and went with ODC travel to visit Halong bay three days two night. are trip was $239 Us Dollars and was great,we went to cat ba Island on a four star Hotel which alone was $135 us dollars. boat was good the guide was great food was awesome.
Dave young.

Room Tip: All the rooms are way above adequate but the family rooms are the larger.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear David Young !
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a highest praise on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to hear that you had received such warm hospitable service from our staff, and had enjoyed your trip in Vietnam. Your compliments are a great source of motivation for all of us.

Please return to May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, whenever you visit Hanoi.
We are more than happy to welcome you back to our (Home) anytime.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 30, 2013

There are some stellar reviews for this hostel and I'd like to contribute. I'd had some good experiences and some bad. Here's the good: the dorm beds are clean and cheap. It comes with breakfast and the A/C will keep you cool during the blistering heat of Hanoi. The water downstairs is cheap and the snacks are a normal price. The 2nd floor has a great movie room for watching flicks and playing pool. I got sick as hell for 4 days and it saved my butt. That was the good. The bad really upsets me. This is my 2nd time to Vietnam and I was especially looking forward to my return experience to Halong Bay. I decided to pay twice what I paid last time and have a bit more luxury. There were 6 of us booking the tour and what essentially happened was that they told us everything they thought we wanted to hear in order to get the business. They said the boat was 2 years old - more like twenty and the list goes on. Cockroaches, bathroom doors without handles, lousy food. We asked if they would pick up more passengers over the weekend, they said no - it was another lie. Cooking class was a lesson on make your own spring roll as in 1 spring roll. Our tour guide left half way through and was replaced by some other guy. It was just a joke. So stay there and enjoy it. Don't book tours with them. We booked train tickets and despite much notice they did not refund our tickets though other hostels have done the same with less notice. And to boot they said they charge a 10% booking fee. We booked top bunk hard sleepers and after we paid discovered it was a 30% booking fee. You are a walking cash machine there. Stay there if you're on a budget. Its nice and worth a stay. Don't book tours or travel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you are pleased with the quality of our guest room. We sincerely apologize that we have failed to impress you with train ticket service & Halong Bay Trip. Please allow us to explain about the difference of train ticket price & Halong Bay !

The first reason: It is the peak season at the time you booked the ticket, moreover those ticket has been booked close to the departure date => we had to book the ticket via intermediary agent (the tickets were sold out in the company) so the price is more expensive than regular price and you have also been informed of this before booking the tickets by our staff.

The second reason: We were suggested by our previous Guests reasonably that the pick up and drop off service from hotel to the train station and return is really necessary for Guests to avoid any trouble, any inconvenience for our Guests so this reasonable suggestion is applied on all train ticket bookings booked with our hotel. In this case, the price you paid is not only for the train ticket but also included the pick up & drop off service (from our hotel to the train station and return - 2 ways). In addition, we had staff escorted you every time to make sure you have a smooth journey. . We sincerely apologize for the negligence of the staff did not explain a particular way so made the inconvenience caused but this experience has been passed to all staff from now on wards that it’s a mandatory to consult hostels' opinion if they would require to pay this service separately to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings occur again.

The third reason : Surely , the boat 2 years start the cruise for Halong Bay. Because, the Government said all the boat must painting white all the boat in Halong. The boat is looked is older than 2 years after cruise in Halong Bay ( All the boat in Halong Bay is the same problem It is not just our boat ) . So , The rain , the sun will make the boat is change during the time. That right you think the boat is older than 20 years
You know, inside the boat is nice, comfortable room , nice food on boat & great staff.

Please rest assured that our most concern is your satisfaction. We always try our best to work hard day and night how to bring our Hoste as the best service as possible because we deeply understand that our existence absolutely depend on your satisfaction.

Thank you so much for your valuable time to read our reply.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I booked this hostel based on recommendations here and I'm glad I did. I took advantage of their hotel pickup for $15 and even though the flight was delayed for more than an hour, the driver patiently waited for me. It was a redeye flight so when I got at the hotel, we had to wake the front desk person up ( I was kinda surprised though I've read somewhere smaller hotels closes at night). It was my first time staying at a backpackers' place so I had to remind myself several times it's not a hotel lol. I had to bring my luggage up myself.

For the first night, I booked a private room for $24. I couldn't really say much bout it since I was there for maybe 5 hours ( I was on tour as early as 6am and then left for the train station in the afternoon). It was clean though, wifi was working fairly well. I enjoyed the complimentary coffee. I wasn't able to use the laptop since the adaptor was not compatible.

Manh Tien, the sales manager, was really enthusiastic ( I think that was his name). I booked all my train tickets with him from Hanoi -Hue and Da nang - Hanoi. I knew it was a bit costly than if get one from the station but it saved me a lot of hassle. Skip the halong bay day tour though. An hour of it was spent from picking people up from hotels and I got really tired. Travel time was longer than the actual stay at the bay. Also, lunch did not include drinks (huh?). If you have to, haggle and get it down to $25. I got mine for $30 only to find out one of the guests bargained hard with him and got it for $5 less.

I think the service I most appreciated from the hotel was their storage room. After booking my first night with them, I left my luggage to head to Central Vietnam for several days. When I got back, my stuff are all safe and nothing was amiss. I booked a bed at their dorm room for $6 for two nights. really good value. Locker rooms are big, in fact I could fit my luggage in plus some TNF bags I bought. No lock on the shower/bathroom though but no one walks in on anyone. bed, pillow, and blankets really comfortable and breakfast was good.

as for location: it's only about 5minutes walk from the lake (just my guesstimate) and I usually take the route at the back of the Highland Coffee bldg. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: if you're staying at one of the dorm rooms, get the upper bunk bed, it's cooler since you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Duong Manh T, Manager at May De Ville Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Our Guest !
Greeting from May De Ville Backpackers Hostel Hanoi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay in our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your comments are invaluable in ensuring that we maintain our high standards of service for the future guests.

Happy Travel !!!