“Center of the city”

Little Hanoi Hostel 2
Ranked #20 of 431 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Reviewed December 12, 2011

The place is great and the hostel staff are very friendly. We got a very nice treatment and the staff helped us book train tickets onwards. My GF had her birthday while staying with the hostel, and they made sure the night was perfect - with a great cake as well ;)

• Stayed: December 2011

Reviewed December 1, 2011

Not exactly cheap by Vietnam standards, but significantly cheaper than most in Ha Noi; especially considering you get a hearty breakfast included.
Chin gives you water, beer, advice, free internet and random massages while you're on the computers!
Very clean, nice rooms but careful if you go to bed early there's banging music from the night lcub until 11pm most nights. Other than that, it's very quiet tucked down a back alley.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarthaAppleCity
Reviewed November 29, 2011

I booked by email the day before – they offered me a choice of Little Hanoi Hostel 1 or 2. I picked 1, as it was cheaper and I thought it might be quieter, but when I arrived the following day I discovered they had moved me to 2, as 1 was overbooked. They did agree to honour the cheaper price from hostel 1 ($22, as opposed to $25 at Hostel 2).

I stayed in 2 rooms at the back of the property. Both were almost identical - large twin rooms with nice layout and furnishings, ensuite bathroom with bathtub and shower. The foam mattress wouldn't be terrific for my back on a long term basis, but was ok for a couple of nights.

The free airport pickup is a great bonus, and the fruit and coffee/tea available whenever you want it were much appreciated.

Good central location, in a tiny alleyway right off the lake (don't let the appearance of the alleyway put you off - it's fine, but so narrow you do wonder if you have found the right place).

Very friendly and helpful staff, always very pleasant to deal with. Everyone always had a smile for you. Never tried to flog me tours, and offered to get me medicine when I came down with a cold. The staff really were outstanding.

Reasonably clean (a few dust bunnies underneath the furniture, but overall it was well maintained and the sheets and bathroom were clean).

Wifi works well.

That's the good stuff; now for the not so good: the noise.

1st night they put me in 102 (back room over the lobby and kitchen) where you can hear every sound from both, and was woken up repeatedly by guests coming in late and stomping up the stairs, the phone ringing, and 5:30am clattering from the kitchen. There's no window in this room, so no noise from outside the hotel, but enough noise from inside the hotel that I decided to ask if I could move to a quieter room higher up the building.

I was moved to 302, two floors above. There was less disturbance from other guests, but there's a window and I was disturbed by noise from outside. When I went to bed, all I could hear was the thud-thud-thud baseline from a nearby bar/club (earplugs did not help). That stopped by midnight, but at 5am the cathedral rang its bells, so that woke me up. The aircon is a bit too loud to leave on overnight and the fridge's compressor noise disturbed me too, but I could deal with those by unplugging the fridge before I went to bed and turning off the AC before bed (so the room was always hot by morning).

Noise issues aside, there were a lot a great things about this hotel, so if you're a heavy sleeper then this place would be an excellent budget choice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2011

We stayed here for longer than expected because we didnt want to leave this amazing place!
Chin is so welcoming and helpful, he made us feel at home and took care of everything we needed. We were offered breakfast on the day we arrived and coffee and tea whenever we wanted. There was free fruit in our room each day and breakfast was yummy. On one evening Chin organised for the whole hostel to have a complimentary dinner in the hostel. It was such good food and meant we could meet other people. They let us leave our bags there when we went to Halong Bay and offered us showers when we got back. There was no pressure to book anything through them but help was always available. Dont be put off by the ally way entrance, the location is brilliant, right in the middle of all the sights. Highly recommended, we want to go back!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ellie H
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this hostel. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful (especially Tuan who works in the afternoon and evening). There is a great free breakfast and we also got a free traditional Vietnamese dinner which was delicious! So close to the lake and the center of the old quarter. Nothing fancy or party like but perfect for what we needed.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Me and my girlfriend and a friend stayed here for 5 nights at the beginning of October an were amazed at the friendliness and service that we got here. Chin the manager honestly is the best! Good breakfast nice clean rooms and quite. Right by hoan Kiem lake. Honestly I would recommend this hostel to anybody going to Hanoi!!! Were are flying out f Hanoi in December and are defiantly going to stay here again. No question! .... Do it!!!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank 6-0-pho
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Where to start. Staff is great and very helpful. Rooms are super clean with air conditioning. Nice and quit at nighttime. It's a 2 min walk to the city centre. It's a great place to stay and I would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2011