“Good western food and fair price”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gecko

Gecko
Ranked #102 of 2,201 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Bar, Asian, Vietnamese, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Portland, Oregon
“Good western food and fair price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Beer and pizza made for a familiar meal at a fair price in downtown Hanoi. Read the "happy hour" pricing for the best deals, knowing every hour is "happy hour" or so it seems advertised.

Visited December 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A reliable f&b retreat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Lovely fries, and their version of the local fish dish 'cha ca' was pretty good! We visited gecko several times because although cramp, we didn't have to sit elbow to elbow with strangers and the kids enjoyed their sandwiches and French fries : )

Visited August 2012
“Great breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We walked by this place to have breakfast which was very good for 80k vnd. The fruit juice was properly thick unlike most of the juices in Vietnam which had more water then fruit. The hash browns were quite interesting too.
Apple crepe was great too.
Overall great value for your money

• Visited October 2012
Hanoi, Ha Noi, Vietnam
“Only good part was the comfortable cafe ambiance”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I loved how comfortable this restaurant and the staff was pleasant and tried hard to accommodate all the guests in the too-small space. The food, however, was straight-up horrible. I ordered a smoothie that was atrocious and not at all well-prepared, the fried calamari appetizer that was very little for the price and served with a sauce that tasted like spaghetti-os and mayonaise, and a salad that was WAY overdressed. I know that the Vietnamese like way more dressing than Westerners, but when you're working with a Western-type salad dressing, making a salad soup is a lot more off-putting than if the dressing is a fish sauce base. All in all, I paid more for my meal than all but 2 other meals I've had in this city in about 3 weeks' time and I was so disappointed in the quality. After reading the good reviews I had expected it to be at least mediocre. They do get 2 stars for having a comfortable restaurant, though.

• Visited August 2012
“Easily the best meal in Vietnam thus far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

This review is based on the location at 89 Hang Bo in Hanoi.

Firstly, the food was surprisingly amazing! I ordered the Old MacDonald sandwich off of the Hot Cheese Sandwich section (misspelt "Hot Chesse" on their menu) (65,000 dong) and my partner ordered the foot long sandwich on the section above where you can pick the ingredients that go into the sandwich (75,000 usually, but Happy Hour price of 65,000 dong). He had the BBQ chicken, beef steak, cheese, & bacon pieces and really enjoyed it as well. The fries were average, but better than any I've had in Vietnam. The food was brought out in a reasonable amount of time, about 10 minutes, and tasted fresh.

The crêpes looked nice, was told they tasted pretty nice by a fellow diner, but I didn't try them myself.

The beer is cheaper than water here, which is pretty amazing. 10,000 dong big bottle Tiger beers all day, don't know if this is everyday as it's only the first visit, but we'll definitely be heading back for dinner & drinks. The other drink prices are slightly more expensive than other places, for example my Pepsi cost 25,000 dong, but the value of the food evened it out.

The service was great, too. There was a sign posted on the wall advertising Happy Hour with 16,000 dong big bottle Tiger beer and the waitress told us it was actually 10,000 dong, which is amazing considering we've had numerous attempts to rip us off pretty much everywhere we've gone in Vietnam. She also honoured discounts they had off of the food that we didn't even realise we were entitled to. Furthermore, she offered us a discount if we came back. Pretty great customer service.