“Disgusting scary hotel!”

Hanoi Alibaba Hotel
Ranked #481 of 579 Hotels in Hanoi
“Disgusting scary hotel!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The good reviews must be written by the staff there this hotel is disgusting! As two 21 year old girls travelling yes it was cheap but we did not feel safe at all!! We arrived at the shabby hotel after a long bus ride from Laos the location is very good however upon arrival we were given our key and left to find the room on our own our room was on the 3rd floor... No lift and stairs were steep and could only just about fit one perfect on them at a time! We arrived in our room it was vile! No windows just stained cream walls with a dated poster about football on the wall... The aircon was shared via hole in the wall to next door but it didn't work! Neither did the unclean grotty fan that again didn't work!! So we had to plug a fan in. The bathroom was shared on the floor with others it was disgusting and didn't lock properly as girls not feeling safe we went to the bathroom always together and showered in our flip flops! The bed sheets were stained and the bed was horrible you could feel every spring in the mattress along with the bad service, dirty room we felt extremely unsafe as when we arrived we were watched by a man through his frosted glass window on his door it was scary!! The wifi is awful and u can only get it in the shabby reception! DO NOT STAY HERE!!! See my pics to see what I mean!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank charxcx
HomeyHotelManager, Manager at Hanoi Alibaba Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your staying and I would like to explain to your bad review about us.
Firstly, You booked our Standard room, costs only USD 10 per night per 2 person and you can see on Internet that we showed clearly " Small room, ; Share Bathroom with Fan ".
We are an old building in the centre of the Old Quarter , we don't have elevator and some our rooms is narrow that why you can get very cheap price for staying here.
Secondly, You booked the Standard room with 1 double bed but you are 2 girls so I've asked if you want to change to the superior twin room without any extra payment but you said that your are ok to stay in your room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

After reading the reviews on trip advisor, I was suprised by the poor standard of accommodation at the Homey hotel. Although cheap, the rooms were far from clean and the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The room was large with two double beds but there was no natural light and the air con did not work. The stairs were very steep and the staff we met spoke very little English (although they were friendly). If you can afford a little more, there are other hotels in the old quarter that provide a better standard of accommodation and value for money.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Customer,
Thank you for your staying at Homey Hotel.
I would like to explain some thing on your review about us:
- You booked our Standard room that is a Small room with Fan and share bathroom that why you get very cheap price, the bathroom is used for 3 rooms and our staff can clean some time every day, not all day.
- We are a mini Hotel in the centre of Old Quarter, our building is Old and narrow as many other house around here, the stairs is hight as a standard of French style.

Travelers are raving about these Hanoi hotels

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Friendly, good price, great location, very helpful staff :) It's located inside the old town of Ha Noi and we can easy walk to Ho Guom Lake just for 5 min.

I and 5 of my friends stayed here for few days in June, we took a family room and one standard room and we were very happy to stay here :). The rooms were nice, ancient style, the bathrooms were not so new but always be cleaned. This hotel was running by a family so the staff was very friendly and helpful, the price was valuable too. They were very honest and never try to charge us more, I can tell that. I booked a small standard room but when it was not available yet, they took me to a deluxe room with a nice balcony and 2 double beds for 2 night with the same price. When We had to stay at the hotel to wait for the train to Sa Pa (8:30pm) and it was over the check out time (12pm), we decided to check out at 12pm for priceless but the manager told us that we should stay more to take a shower or take a nap before getting to the train cuz we may get tired for spending all night long on it and so surprised that they let us stayed without charge us more, like all the other hotels always do when we had to stay over the check out time. :)

We also took a trip to Ha long Bay and the staff was very helpful and honest to show us the best price for it. I booked the train ticket to Sa Pa at this Hotel too.I had messed up a little with the depart time to Sa Pa (my fault) and the staff showed that they were really worry and care about us if we missed the train, they called us and even prepared a taxi for us to come to the station as fast as we can, they were so kind and helpful to us. After we arrived Sa Pa, when we trekked on the mountain and unlucky we had lost our tickets to go back to Ha Noi there and we just knew about it before the depart time 2 hours (my fault again :P). I had called the manager of the hotel and he had showed me what to do and everything was be very ok. (phew) So thankful for him because this was the first time we took a train to travel and we didn't have any experience about it.

All I want to say is Thank for the manager and his family for all the good time we had in Ha Noi. If I or some of my friends have another change to come back to Ha Noi, sure we will choice to stay at this hotel again. Thank so much :).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

Friend and I stayed here for a few days in August. Best rate for a private room we could find - room was massive, with aircon, tv and small fridge for $14 a night. Room had a big double and a single bed. The bathroom wasn't great, and can be a bit noisey, but expected in the old quater.

Aside from the accommodation, we booked Halong Bay (1 night on boat, 1 night on catba island) and our travel arrangements to Sapa. We paid around US$55 each for Halong Bay, and out of everyone on the trip we were the only ones that didn't get ripped off. Other people were told that a storm was coming or a boat had sunk (both lies) and so were not allowed a night on the boat, which was the best bit about the trip. The tour guide uncandedly told us that because Homey Hotel paid more money to them for our trip than other travel agencies/hotels, we were allowed a night on the boat. Other people paid more than US$80 for the same trip and got completely shafted.

Similarly, with Sapa, we booked our sleeper coach with these guys. Found out when we got to Sapa that it was only $3 more than if we bought the ticket from the ticket office instead, so these guys aren't out there to make a killing from dumb tourests.

They're really helpful too - will give honest advice about trips in Vietnam, even if they don't offer a service.

Great guys, great place, would def come back here again and reccommend to friends passing by Hanoi!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Homey Hotel ils located in the centre of The Old Quarter, right in the middle of the hustle and bustle.

The price was the cheapest I could find on that day,for this reason I chose it.

Breakfast is on the top floor, the rooms are on the floors below, and the reception and free internet on the ground floor.

This is an authentic Vietnamese experience, kind staff and clean rooms.

Some rooms dont have much natural light, but the fans work well to keep them cool.

Room Tip: Good Location Great Price
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

The room in this hotel is ancient style ,clean and there are balcony which we can see the market view . The manager (Michel) is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Please check the facility ( Air con+water)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kanokkook
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2011

After hearing about many travellers not enjoying their stays in Hanoi due to the busy-ness, people and prices I was anxious about the cities accomodation...

I have found Homey Hotel to have some of the friendliest staff yet...a few staff have very strong English and are very helpful. While here I've also had to have wisdom teeth taken out, and during this time the staff were able to joke with me and made me feel very comfortable...

The rooms are clean and always well serviced...the price of accom usually includes breakfast, which is pretty good, bread egg OR jam and a banana...delicious...:)

This is one of the nicest places I've stayed throughout my travels in Vietnam, and I would reccommend staying here...good accom at a good price...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends