“They served MEAT in a vegetarian dish”
Review of Gecko

Gecko
Ranked #175 of 2,294 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“They served MEAT in a vegetarian dish”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Meat in a vegetarian dish says it all. Nothing to add and apologize does not solve the fact. no respect.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Don't Go If You're Hungry!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I think that next year, I will do all my cooking at home and not venture out to try to find a restaurant open during Tet. If you're lucky enough to find a place, you'll be stuck with inexperienced staff, as the senior staff will all be spending the holiday with their families. Such was the lesson learned at the Gecko this year. Not only was the service slow, but our meals were served about 30 minutes apart from each other. But what really bothered me was the portion size.

Now, I read on the menu that the Pesto Spaghetti was just 59,000 dong. I thought Great! Good price, sounds good! Well, when it finally arrived, I was very disappointed to see a small cereal-size bowl half full of noodles in a creamy pesto sauce. This wasn't enough food to qualify as "dinner." OK, it was cheap - but they should have made it clear that this was a very tiny portion by putting it under "Snacks" or "Appetizers" or at least stating that they use 200 grams of pasta only. When we spoke with the manager, he explained that I could have ordered a much larger portion in another part of the menu, which would have been over 100,000 dong and came with meat. But that certainly wasn't made clear at the time of my order. So after we finally left, we went elsewhere so that I could have something more to eat. I didn't want to order more from the Gecko, in case it took another half hour for the food to arrive.

We went to another restaurant of the Gecko chain for breakfast a few weeks back and had a similar experience. The breakfast I ordered was reduced in price, but again, the serving size was tiny and I was told to order something not on sale if I wanted a real-sized portion. So, I guess that's the trick with the Gecko - ignore the promotions if you're hungry.

That said, the food quality and flavor was good and I really have no complaints about that part of the dining experience here. There just wasn't enough of it.

Visited March 2013
Lerwick, United Kingdom
“Decent meal - decent western food”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our last night in Hanoi and we really wanted western food.
We came across Gecko after searching through a few streets.
Very good prices and a good selection of food to choose from. The service is pretty awful.
My husband got his dinner after me and our son had finished ours. The chicken was cooked really well - so tender and came with buttery mashed potato.
The portion size of meat is good but veg and fries very small - not enough even for me.
Our son was still hungry so we had to go and buy crisps on the way back to our hotel.
13GBP for 1 steak and 2 chicken,2 beers and 2 cans pepsi is a pretty good deal
I would rate Gecko as GOOD rather than average but Tripadvisor doesn't allow a mark at that level.

• Visited March 2013
“Okay”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading a review from a previous post, I was looking forward to a grilled cheese sandwich. Unfortunately, it was served on a baguette and it was dry. My partner ordered Vietnamese food which was much better. We sat on the balcony on the 2nd floor which was great for watching rush hour below.

Visited February 2013
Lancashire
“Nice friendly place”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Lovely little restaurant where you can have a snack, meal or just pop in for a drink. The staff are very friendly and speak English. The drinks are very reasonable and there were plenty of offers to choose from.

Visited February 2013