“Worst restaurant in Vietnam” 1 of 5 bubbles

Gecko
Ranked #168 of 2,168 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Bar, Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Worst restaurant in Vietnam”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Please I beg you to keep walking past this little restaurant. I have been to vietnam twice and eaten at many restaurants and this one fits into its own sad little category. I had dinner here with 2 others and all of our meals were bland and tasteless, very disappointing. We had a combination of Vietnamese dishes and threw in a pizza to mix things up. The pizza was one level below a frozen supermarket pizza. I know we don't travel to Vietnam to eat pizza but they should at least try. I dislike leaving negative reviews but felt I had to for the sake of future travellers.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
“Great for Asian and western dishes!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

We came here one night as it was just a few doors down from where we were staying, and I'd by been ill and craved something to eat from a western menu.

I ordered a carbonara and was not disappointed, second best only to one I'd had in Italy! My partner had a local dish that was really good too.

We went back the next night and The food was equally good. As they had a happy hour on the drinks we also asked if we could buy a couple of beers to take away at a good price which they let us!

Staff were attentive enough, certainly moreso than anywhere else we ate in Hanoi, and the restaurant had a chilled out atmosphere. The notes from previous happy customers under the table glass was a nice touch too!!

Would definitely go back if we visit Hanoi again!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Australia
“Eating at Geckos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great food, great atmosphere although portions were a bit small. But then again, we did have (starving) kids to feed! Fresh spring rolls and lassi's were great.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Christchurch, NZ
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgusting.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My fiance and I decided to eat here as we had heard good things in the past. What promised to be a unique, enjoyable dining experience turned into a disaster. (Note: This was the Gecko at 22 Luong Ngoc Quyen, Hoan Kien (Old Quarter), Hanoi.)

We are both vegetarians, which is a strongly-held belief of ours. We were delighted to find that the restaurant had ample vegetarian options - even mock meat, which we are both big fans of. I ordered a fake meat dish, and the dish that I was delivered (and ate) turned out to be a bit too convincing... When we checked the price for my dish on the bill, it was much more than that which we had ordered. We were horrified to find out that we had been served an actual meat dish instead of the vegetarian alternative.

We believed it was fair to waive the price of the strongly unwanted dish and pay for the rest - a choice in which (I believe) many other diners would agree with us. Instead we were subjected to borderline verbal abuse from the rude and unfriendly staff after thoroughly explaining our objection. We were actually physically forced to remain in the restaurant until we paid the remaining cost of the dish (which was NOT cheap).

In all, a thoroughly disgusting experience that I would not wish upon anyone. I am embarrassed for the staff here as they could not deal with or understand our perspective at all. If this sounds unpleasant to anybody reading, DO NOT COME HERE!

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tim D
Australia
“Great happy hour all day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Great drinks at very good prices, food excellent, staff attentive and friendly. A wide variety of food including western if that is what takes your fancy, but the spring rolls are excellent.

Visited October 2012