“Great way to immerse yourself in the life of the old town”

Hanoi Electrical Bus Tour
Ranked #356 of 837 Tours in Hanoi
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: New travel way around Hoan Kiem lake by electrical bus. New transportation in Hanoi Old quarter
hants UK
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Great way to immerse yourself in the life of the old town”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Three of us took this trip and we all enjoyed the experience. It was very hot and humid so it was an easy way to explore the maze of streets which we would never have had the energy to walk around! We were able to get some interesting photos too. It also took us around the lake. We opted for the " no-stop" tour but it was slow enough to enable us to take everything in. The young woman driver was clearly experienced and she pointed out some things of interest along the way. We thought it was excellent value too at only 150,000 or £5.00 for around 35 minutes for all of us.

Visited October 2013

Brisbane, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A Rip Off”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We thought this was a great way to see some of the sights but what a rip off, the bus advertises certain attractions on the tour all it did was drive in the vicinity of the attractions you dont see any and you cant get off. We got back bewildered as to what we had just paid for. A trip around the old quarters where we we already staying and knew quite well. A great big rip get a cyclo or taxi.

Visited September 2013
Dallas
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Waste of Time”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I paid 150 VND for the 30 minute tour. I could have paid less to a taxi to drive me slowly in air conditioned comfort. I guess this might be a value of you a big group and you all want to ride together. If you are just one or two, then to a cyclo or a cab.
Lady at the ticket desk was really rude. I even joked with her that she must be having a really bad day. She didn't appreciate my joking around.
We did not follow the map of sites that I thought we were going to do (see pictures I posted of the route map). The only stop we made was for the driver to pick up cigarettes.
Save your money for something else.

Visited June 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Dishonest... Not to be trusted or patronized.”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We took this tour with our children last week and were extremely disappointed. We opted for the tour without stops, which the lady at the counter led us to believe still drove by the key sites displayed on their poster. But the tour ended up being a random drive around the Old Town (something we could easily do on our own with a cyclo!), passing only a fraction of the key sites and without the recorded explanations that are suppose to be played during the tour. At one point, the driver even stopped in front of a store to take care of some private business, leaving us waiting in the car.

When we arrived back at the starting point, having hardly seen anything special, we complained. The driver just shrugged and said "tour over". We then complained at the counter and the driver actually then lied about not having played the recording or done the right itinerary. The lady at the counter then chose to believe him and ignore us, not trying in any way to address our complaint.

Ours might be an unfortunate occasion, but the fact remains that this business couldn't care less about their customers and clearly has dishonest employees, so it does not deserve your patronage. I therefore hope visitors to Hanoi will avoid them rather than fall in the same unfortunate trap as we did... Take a cyclo in stead!!

Visited November 2012
3 Thank enzoenzo
Adelaide, Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Another view of the Old Quarter”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have taken the electric bus tour in the Old Quarter three times now. Each time I have takenit in the company of friends. It is an opportunity to see the Old Quarter from another angle: from an open air bus that travels slowly through the Old Quarter and allows you to take in the sites in comfort.

The bus holds a number of people (about 7 altogether but it depends on the size of the occupants). It is possible to hire a whole bus or to wait until there are enough people to go. The trip travels around the Old Quarter's streets and gives you time to take photos and hear about the history of the streets. depending on the tye of tour you choose, it is ppossible to stop at certain points to explore more closely the sites.

THe best places to hop on the tour are at Don Xuan Markets or at Hoan Kiem Lake not far from the Temple on the lake. I'm not sure of the current cost but it wasn't expensive any of the times I have takenthe tour and we hired the bus for ourselves.

It is a tour I would still be willing to do, even thought I have done it before, because there is always so much to see in the Old Quarter.

Visited October 2011