“Amazing meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Montreal
“Amazing meal”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Went to this restaurant as suggested by our Lonely Planet book. Even when just reading about it it seemed like a cool food to try. And it was delish! We had the crispy pork and the chicken with mushrooms and both were great. I wish we had this in Montreal because it was the best dish I had in Vietnam.
One thing to keep in mind...it is street food and the restaurant is filthy and the seating uncomfortable, so maybe just take it to go.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
“Best place for xoi in hanoi!!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been to this place a billion times just to have the same thing over and over again, xoi!! There are so many variety to pick with the xoi and for like $3 a bowl, i got close to full and i'm known to eat alot. The food comes out fast and even though it's not very clean, its known that street food in hanoi is the best and street food is never super clean. Generally, amazing place for xoi

penang
“Below expectation”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

They only served sticky rice here. But it had different flavours. Ordering the food was a bit of a problem as the menu was in Vietnamese and the waiter was not very well-versed in English. So, finally, we just ordered sticky rice with chicken.

I did not like the rice at all but my partner did. The amount of chicken slices was little too. So, that why I rated this place as average. The price was also average.

Other than that, this place was not hygienic. The table was dirty and not wiped. The floor was littered with food and other rubbish. The toilet was extremely small.

Visited January 2013
Singapore
“Good snack in the evening”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The sticky goes well with meat and tomato sauce. The place gets crowded in the evenings and finding a seat may be difficult. There is english menu. You got filled up easily with sticky rice, so don't over order. Photos and more infor:

• Visited August 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Authentic Vietnamese and so good!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We saw a recommendation for this place in Lonely Planet and decided to give it a try. As you may know from traveling in Vietnam, many places will borrow the name of another successful place to try to get customers....so we actually went to the "wrong" Xoi Yen the first time for lunch, and the "right" Xoi Yen the next night for dinner. Easy mix up - they are directly next to eachother! The one that is most recommended on here and Lonely Planet is actually the one right on the corner, but I have to say they were both good and offered similar food.
Xoi Yen was absolutely delicious and offered highly authentic Vietnamese. We were the only westerners there when we went and the place was packed, which I think is a testament to it.
I would recommend to visually pick out what you want to eat downstairs before ordering, as there is no English menu at the one on the corner. That way no surprises!
I loved this shredded pork on rice that I got - don't be scared because it looks like dry fur - but it is so good!
My boyfriend got a delicious Chinese sausage. The dish with fried egg was great too!

Visited January 2013