“Lonely Planet got this one wrong, not a great restaurant”
Review of Nha Hang Ngon

Nha Hang Ngon
Ranked #110 of 2,443 Restaurants in Hanoi
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I went here based on the Lonely Planet recommendation and was very disappointed.

The service was not very good, e.g. it took 20 minutes for them to come and ask for my order despite lots of staff standing around (some even checking their phones) but none seemed interested in taking my order.

Also I found the food very disappointing as well, the beef with noodles were not very tasty and were not very hot. Also the shrimp with potato pancakes were an oily mess (maybe that's how they are meant to be).

Overall I didn't find the food very flavorful, so I would probably give this restaurant a miss.

Also watch out they charge you for the paper towels even though I didn't ask for it they just gave it to me and therefore I assumed it should be free (from talking to some people apparently it might be normal to charge for towels in Hanoi but it is still annoying when you didn't even ask for it).

The decor of the restaurant is nice though with an open air terrace and lots of different kitchen area where you can see the people making the food.

2  Thank JonathanCC

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The food was good when we eventually found the restaurant. From the street it appeared to have a different name. The service was ok, a bit haphazard and no one was sure what they were doing, they were friendly though. I would go back.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I happened to see the restaurant across the street while I was out exploring. Since it was lunch time, I went for a very good lunch at Nha Hang Ngon. I sat in the courtyard where there were misters (water mist) and fans so it was very comfortable. It was a Sunday, so it was interesting to be able to watch the locals arrive for a meal. Fancy cars, big motorcycles, scooters! Service was good and the meal was very good. A bit far away from the Old Quarter, but very good.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were so pleased with the Ho Chi Minh City location that we decided to check it out in Hanoi. While the food was very good, the service was terrible. We ordered a fish dish which were told would take 50 minutes...75 minutes later were inquired about the status, only to find out the waiter never put it in...fail! It wasn't busy, so there is no justification for the oversight, just bad service.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

It menu covers many Vietnamese traditional dishes from the North to the South. The most interesting thing that you can see how it's made by having a tour around. The smell of food is really attractive. I recommend this restaurant for families and couples also, ask them for private corner, it will be very romantic and peaceful.