“Bad choice”

and 1 more site!
Phuong Dong Airport Hotel
Ranked #531 of 599 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

The Phuongdong Hotel is about 2km away from the airport. I booked a standard double room (25$). Airport Pickup is available, but overpriced(5$/one way). Better ask the different cab-companies for a cab with a meter. I got one from the maihlin-company (the green ones). Although I did'nt book the pickup-service, somebody was waiting for me. Nevertheless the hotel staff still wanted me to pay. They were really unfriendly. Moreover it was not possible to pay the bill with a credit card as they told me before in an Email. The room was poor for 25$. I only had a tiny window and the room stanks. The bed was really hard only covered with a dirty plastic bed sheet. I preferred sleeping on the blanket... This Hotel only is a choice if you find no other place to sleep near the airport and even then it's no fun. If you have enough time book a hotel in the city!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Joh4

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Most of the cleaning ladies are so noisy and have no manners at all. They act as if they're doing you a favor when in fact it's THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to give you the best experience or even a comfortable stay to say the least. I could tolerate the rooms since the rates are just affordable anyway, but what I couldn't stand is POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. What's more, the female manager is always frowning. Talk about leadership by example. HA!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank scott_amanda
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This should be a negative 5 star hotel. I crashed here for a few hours because I was on 2 hours sleep in 2 days and had 6 hours until my flight. Room was grimy and the bedcover was absolutely disgusting. I had to sleep on top of the sheet with nothing to cover myself. Bed and pillows were like concrete. Im not a picky person, but this place is the worst. I should have checked into the airport and slept on a chair, but I was too tired to go back when I realized how bad it was.
Also they charged me 20 USD to crash there for 6 hours, which seemed too high. Especially after seeing how nasty the place was.
Something good-It's about 2 minutes the airport, but they will charge you $5. USD to take you there in a taxi.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mattymatt78
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed in Phuong Dong Hotel near Noi Bai Airport to stay close to the airport and save on travel time and was hoping to be bright eyed and bushy tailed for my early morning flight the following day. Was I wrong, did not have the good night rest that I expected. The bed sheets looked like it had not been changed, the bed and pillows are hard and the cost of the taxi service to the airport at 4:30 AM was exhorbitant, probably not considering that taxi in that particular place during that particular time could be as rare as a hen's teeth. Also, there is very little choice, or practically no choice for a place to have a decent meal.
There are other hotels near Noi Bai, my first choice was fully booked ended up settling for Phoung Dong. Was it fully booked because it is a better hotel?

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank OWSI
Reviewed January 19, 2012

They offer pick-up service to get the hotel. $5/one way. It is not that far from the airport. But freakishly expensive rate. Single room charge was $25per day..Room was spacious, but I was not feeling good because of weird smell..something like wet..Bed was wide, but matress was really hard and stiff.. Thanks god they offer blanket..I slept on the top of the blanket. The main bomb was that the hot water didn't come out at all.. Staffs speak little english, and not that kind..so I didn't even try to fix this..
Overall the condition was horrible, considering it's price. But if you have to come back to the airport next morning, and you arrive the airport at midnight..you don't have many choices..

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Hahahalee
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We spent one night at Phuong Dong : landing late with another flight early in the morning, a hotel close to the airport was the only solution.

We paid $20 for a room where there was only one dirty sheet on the "matress", that was made of bad plastic foam and very uncomfortable (I would have slept better on a camping matress). We got a "welcome committee" in the form of two corkroaches on the bed... In the morning, we couldn't take a shower because the knobs were stuck and we had to wash in the sink (anyway, the 'bathroom' was really poor.

The price is scandalously high for vietnam given the very poor accomodation. A place to go if you have really no other option.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank traveler_raph
Reviewed December 3, 2011

We had to have one overnight stay close to Hanoi Noi Bai Airport since our flights did not connect too well. Since the airport does not offer lodging, and downtown Hanoi is a long drive, we opted for the Phuong Dong airport hotel. This hotel is only 2 km down the highway towards Hanoi and literally built next to the fence of the airport's runway. Fortunately airtraffic is not too heavy after 11pm...
We agreed on a name-tag-pick-up at 22:40 ($5 each way, pretty stiff for only 2 km but at least you avoid the taxi-scam which is well-known around Vietnam airports...). Pick-up was not present at agreed time and I had to call the hotel. Finally at 23:10 the pick-up showd up. We were stowed in a small Korean-made car, and the driver knew only three words English.
The hotel does not deserve ONE star and it meets this criterium royally. Big place, all concrete and tiles, room is big enough, bed is hard and of dubious hygiene. Hint: buy one of these thin silk sleeping bags while in Vietnam: good for sleeping in trains and places like this.
Bathroom is a laugh. No hot water, 6 sheets of toiletpaper on the cylinder.
The place is noisy cuz several semi-permanent residents party through the night. Echo... Echo....
One charming fact was the presence of the local rooster, who decided that 5am was a good time to wake up... So he did, and so did we...
We also learned that the Vietnamese owner of the place is illiterare OR has difficulties with his maths..
We had a confirmation email with an agreed price of $ 45 OR 800.000 Dong. Since the rate is 20:000 to 1 I choose to pay in Dong... But the guy demanded 900.000 VND, which I refused. Written proof.. He took his loss badly and turned nasty. I decided to be wise and donate the extra 100.000 and be rid of it...
One positive aspect: the transfer back went flawless!
Only choose this place if you run out of options!

Room Tip: there ARE no good rooms, so take any offered...