“Amazing!”

Ranked #37 of 577 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We loved our stay at Finnegans, the hotel is in a great location, the family that runs the hotel goes above and beyond to advise you and make your stay truly as though you feel at home.

They even put on a great New Year's Eve dinner for all the guests, which was a great touch.

I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Hanoi!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Service, service, service. We used Finnegans as our base while in Northern Vietnam. Han and Viet assisted us with visa introductions first of all. They helped us with reservations to Sapa and Ha Long Bay. When we arrived in Hanoi, which is a bit overwhelming in those first minutes, Viet gave us tea and then sent us to a cool little barbecue place just around the corner. Only in hindsight do I realize that we did not have to cross a street to get there.

The rooms are especially clean and comfortable. The internet was very reliable.

Location in the old quarter is a 1/2 block off of Ma May, on a little street to narrow for cars so the staff was there when the cab arrived to carry bags.

It was a great experience.

Room Tip: We splurged for the larger room on the street side, floor 4 and then 5.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LovetheWorld12
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Nice owner, very friendly and helpful, also his wife and brother.
The room was clean. For a good sleep, you need ohropax!

Unfortunately we had a little bit troubles with our Transfer to ninh binh. At First, the owner was very helpful by booking the transfer via a touristic bus, without guidedtour. 11km away from our hostel, the driver didnt want to bring us to ninh binh city. They persuaded us to take a guidedtour tour! Because we didn't want to do the tour, they was very pissed and told us, to pick our backpacks and go to another Bus. Fortunately we found a Taxi, which bring us to our hostel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Finnegan's is a small, family-owned hotel in Hanoi's Old Quarter. The owners provide tremendous service in all respects. I stayed there twice on my recent trip to Vietnam, for a total of five days. I booked an excellent two-day, one-night trip to Halong Bay through them. They also arranged train tickets, airline tickets and airport pickup for the remainder of my stay in Vietnam. I took a night train from Hanoi to Hue, and my flight home was in the evening. On both occasions, Viet not only stored my luggage after checking out, but provided me a room to shower before departing. They go out of their way to help you in every respect. The rooms were great, with a balcony, computer and wi-fi. Hanoi is a wonderful city, but definitely a bit hectic, and it was always nice to be able to return to Finnegan's, which was like a home away from home.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

We arrived at 11pm. Our airport pick up was right there. After our taxi ride we were greeted by 2 awesome guys who took our bags and led us down the alley to the hotel. This is when we met Viet! He was absolutely WONDERFUL! He was super friendly, funny and informative! We met Hanh and their son the next day. This hotel has it all - perfect location, clean, computer in room and wifi, but most of all....GREAT hospitality! They really care! We recommended them to people we met on our travels that were heading to Hanoi. I will definitely stay with them again when I return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Viet and Hanh, the hotel owners and operators, are two of the warmest and kindest people I've ever met. For this trip I researched high and low, this being the first time I've traveled so far with a group of friends. I knew please a crowd would be difficult. I read reviews for hundreds of hotels, finally deciding that this property would suffice. When we were met out on a busy street by two young men, we were really kind of concerned and got out of the taxi a little cautious.

Within 5 minutes we're greeted by this young man, as welcoming as can be, Mr. Viet. The hotel doesn't look like a hotel in the states. It sits on an alley. We weren't sure if we were at the right place until Mr. Viet had us seated, greeted, and drinking warm tea. He saw us to our rooms in no time. Very modern and really large. The bathroom as amazing. The room was very clean and the a/c ice cold. I loved that there was a computer with WI-FI in the room. He had one of his crew take us down the street, to give us our bearings. The location was A+ perfect. Other areas of the quarter were loud and too busy. This was a nice quiet spot we'd found.

In the morning we met Hanh and her their little boy. We felt at home with the whole family. Sitting in the lobby, I felt we were seated in their living room, just enjoying each other's company and humor (they are VERY funny).

I give Finnegan's 5-stars because the owners went out of their way to anticipate what we might need. They gave us all that we needed at their hotel and went even further to make sure we got what we needed on the outside, too. They made our dinner reservations, got us cabs, Viet followed us to the bus terminal and waited with us to make sure we got the right transport to Halong Bay—all without even asking. And we're SO glad bc its easy to get lost!

Finally, I'd give my business to Finnegan's over and over again because this is a young family who are working very hard to give tourists a good experience in Vietnam. I can't say that for many other places we stayed on this trip. They are sole-proprietors with hearts of gold and they give you what I feel is the best Hanoi experience.

Room Tip: We were right on the alley. At first, it may make you turn your nose up. We found it was the BEST vi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank pennejean
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We were I'm northern Vietnam for a week (3 days in SaPa, 2 days in Ha Long Bay, 2 days in Hanoi).

We actually spent 2 days at FINNEGANS but they helped us at every aspect. Picking us up at train station, arrangements for train tickets, tours.

They also gave us very good recommendations about where to eat which places to visit.

Even staying just 2 days at the hotel, our big luggage stayed there for the entire week which made our traveling a lot easier.

The hotel is on a side street of the busy Ma May Street, so I expected a bit of noise, but it was not true. After a certain time, the street got very quiet and we had some nice sleeping.

The room us very comfortable, clean and we had a great breakfast.

My recommendation is if you are going to visit northern Vietnam, you should base yourself at FINNEGANS. You will not regret.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple