“You must stay in this hotel!”

Hanoi Finnegans Hotel
Ranked #47 of 671 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 26, 2012

All the rave reviews this hotel receives are more than justified. Husband and wife team Viet and Hanh and younger brother Ty go out of their way to make you feel at home in their small but comfortable and well situated hotel. Although we arrived at 8;00 am we were welcomed with fruit and Vietnamese coffee, and our room was ready. Before we set foot on the streets of Hanoi, Viet sat us down and gave us a handwritten survival guide for Vietnam and Hanoi in particular - how to be safe, avoiding scams, crossing roads and where to eat and drink. Invaluable! They also suggested places to visit and were genuinely interested to hear how we had got on when we returned. Viet and Hanh also organised an overnight trip to Halong Bay. There was no pressure here, they were just keen for us to have the best deal possible for the money we wanted to spend, and we were not disappointed. They were both so proud of their hotel and country and were obviously keen for us to have a positive experience. When we departed, Ty accompanied us to the station and helped us board the train. Where else would you get service like that? I cannot recommend this hotel strongly enough, particularly if like us, you are starting your Vietnam adventure in Hanoi.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed here for over a week and my trip to Hanoi was better for it! Hanh, Viet and Ty looked after me like a family member and nothing was too much trouble.

The breakfast was great as was the Vietnamese coffee.

The rooms are small but clean and comfortable. For the price you cannot do better!

Contact Finnegans before you visit Hanoi and book direct. They will also offer recommendations based on what you wish to do or see. (These are based on previous guests' experiences)

An easy walk to the lake, old quarter, great restaurants etc etc

Room Tip: Small rooms have no windows but larger (costlier) rooms have large windows facing the street. Pay yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Billy W
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for one night only and we wished we had found this place when we arrived in Hanoi. The family are fantastic and so helpful letting us shower before we took off to the train station in the evening. The young brother took us to the station and even put us onto the train.We will def stay here next time we visit Hanoi.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Recently stayed at finnegans for three nights and had a great time. Hahn, viet and Ty were absolutely wonderful. We were given a map with recommendations of where to eat and they were cheap and amazing. Great location, I felt safe walking around in the early evening with my parents who are in their 60s. They loved it too. Absolutely great value for money, basic but very clean and welcoming. I highly recommend it and have already booked my return visit. They are extremely good with communicating via email too, so you can have any questions answered easily.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank richarka
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The highlights were the service, lovely breakfasts with amazing fruit, and location. Also clean. The rooms vary. the ones with street windows look much nicer, but while the street is not the busiest, it may bug noise sensitive folks like me. Some rooms are basically windowless and felt pretty confined. For the money, $28, we thought those rooms were not the best value. There is an elevator as well. The owners do a good job of making you feel at home.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank class4plus
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I can not say enough positive comments about this hotel. Its very welcoming, clean, tidy and has all the amenities you would expect or require from a hotel, whether on business or pleasure. The location is perfect to get to anywhere of interest, north or south, either by foot or a short Xe om ride. Hanh, Viet, and Ty are the best hotel staff management you could meet. Very friendly, extremely helpull and good fun! Just like a happy family! Many thanks to them for my stay and their help with any travel arrangements and advice. You can also meet interesting guests from other parts of the world. 6 out of 5 points!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the single superior room for two nights but then moved to the single deluxe front room w...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2012

To make it brief, I would say Finnegan hotel is simple but offers a clean and comfortable room. The hotel is run by a few family members, Viet, Hanh & Ty, They are super friendly and make you feel warm like talking to your own family. The location is close to anywhere around the old quarter. If you do need to get a hotel in Hanoi, book Finnegans before you the book for others.

• Stayed: September 2012