See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 11, 2016

We only stayed for a few nights as we were limited for time but what a great place to stay. Thuy was always helpful and full of advice. She recommended some lovely eateries in line with what we wanted at that time. We had a family room and it was great, plenty of space, well made out with good air con.

We were invited to eat dinner with the family one evening, unfortunately we already had plans. Breakfast was plenty, just as good as any of the other hotels that I stayed in in Vietnam with fresh juice, a variety of hot drinks, fruit, pastries, bread and eggs. I also tried some local fried rice which was very tasty.

The downside is probably location. Most people will venture towards the Old Quarter which isn't really walking distance, especially not on a hot day. Taxi's are inexpensive but the one way system in Hanoi make them a bit of a pain! If we weren't so limited for time we would have probably tried the bus and just got taxi's home.

Date of stay: June 2016
Reviewed January 15, 2016

We have stayed in Chezlinhlinh House on two occasions in December – at the beginning and at the end of our months long stay in Vietnam and we really loved it.
Thuy was a wonderful host, the room is nice and cosy and generous breakfast is served in the family kitchen; you can also use the living room on the ground floor and flick through a number of interesting coffee-table books about Hanoi and vietnam. Thuy and her husband made sure that our stay was comfortable; Thuy even got up before 5am on the morning when we were leaving and prepared breakfast for our son while we were getting our stuff together.

The neighbourhood is a quiet and calm place to go back to to after the craziness of Hanoi. We couldn’t believe how quiet it was at night – apart from an occasional dog barking… We enjoyed exploring narrow lanes which lead to the house and are bustling with life: shops, hairdressers, cafes, restaurants, nurseries…everything you need to live is there! A lovely lady just 100m from the house sells one of the best noodle soups we’ve had. The area feels very safe – we cycled to the train station in the dark at 5am and we hadn’t felt uneasy or threatened at all.

The house is a close to Ho Chi Minh complex and still a walkable distance to the Old Quarter. We also used the local buses quite a lot as our 3 year old can only walk so far.
If you are looking for a different, more personal experience then we would definitely recommend staying in Chezlinhlinh House.

Date of stay: December 2015
Reviewed October 22, 2015

I stayed with my family of four at Chezlinhlinh for a few days in October while we explored Hanoi. Thuy was a great host and her family was lovely. Her older girls were the same age as mine, so it was fun to watch all the kids play.

The family room was nice with one large bed for the parents and a connecting room with two single beds for the kids where the bathroom is also located. The suite was clean, the wifi was really good, and the air conditioning a godsend for people from Canada!

Thuy was such a great host. She cooked us a traditional Vietnamese dinner for my husband's birthday, and even bought a birthday cake! The breakfasts were also good with fruit, yoghurt, fried egg, baguette - we were always full before venturing out for the day.

Thuy helped us figure out where to go in Hanoi and marked everything on a map. We found it easy to get around with her instructions. She also recommended a nice local restaurant at the top of her lane just across the busy street that serves good steak and fries.

Thuy helped us with trip planning for Sapa, Ha Long Bay, and Tam Coc, and all of her arrangements worked out well.

Hanoi is a crazy city with all of the traffic, but is definitely something to see! Chezlinhlinh is not in the centre of the old quarter, but it is not far by taxi. I'm glad we spent our time at friendly Chezlinhlinh. It's much more personable and better value than a hotel.

Date of stay: October 2015
Reviewed August 21, 2015

I was really excited about staying at Chez Linh Homestay because its website and reviews gave the impression it was located in a leafy old town part of Hanoi and that the hosts welcomed you into their family and life and guided you around ‘secret Hanoi’ …..a chance to experience real Hanoi/Vietnam rather than be a tourist in a hotel. While in Vietnam I stayed in a few homestays & budget hotels so can compare Chezlinh to these. This is my honest opinion. I arrived by taxi on my own at night in the dark. I was dropped off by what looked like a rubbish dump …..an area by a dirty stream that was just a massive pile of rubbish and rubble …..my first impression was that I was in a rat infested ghetto. …..not at all what I was expecting & a little worrying! I was met at the taxi by the host’s husband who led me round the corner to an alley of old terraced houses where ChezLinh was located. It was a huge relief to find I was actually staying in a big old clean house! So please don’t be put off if that sight also greets you because once you’re round the corner it’s fine. I was introduced to the children, shown my room & the water tank in the hallway & then I was left alone. The rooms are fine ….huge, bright, clean, plenty of plug sockets & storage space but pretty sparse ….zero décor ….just furniture. The ensuite was also fine …it was clean and spacious with plenty of hot water. Unlike other homestays I stayed in, there was no kettle or refreshments but there was an empty noisy fullsize fridge freezer! There were also no toiletries except a couple of shampoo sachets and a tube of toothpaste. I needed neither but other homestays provided refreshments and amenities you’d find in a posh hotel. I slept well though! Breakfast was around the dining table in the kitchen with other guests. Food was put on the table to help yourself to ….some fruit, baguettes, butter, jam, yoghurts, juice ….and if you asked you could have a cup of tea or coffee. There was no choice for breakfast you just got what was put on the table and there were no cooked options ..not even eggs or pancakes. The host, Thuy, was away so her husband gave us a map and we set off to explore Hanoi on our own. Hanoi was great …crazy & we did fine without any guidance. We ended up staying out all day and night because Chezlinh was too far to go back to get changed and go out again. It’s a fair walk to where the action is …and a taxi ride back after a day of walking so not the most convenient place to stay but its quieter than hotels in the centre. There is nowhere to eat near Chezlinh so you have to stay out really. We stayed 4 nights. In that time we hardly saw the host family because we were out all day/night and they seemed busy people when we were at ‘home’. We spent one night on a Halong cruise and ChezLinh were very good in that they let us keep our stuff in our room even though we weren’t staying/paying for that night …they hadn’t booked out the rooms that night. And on our last night Thuy cooked us a traditional Vietnamese meal of fish pork and rice and beer which was very kind ….and gave us an opportunity at last to talk with her and find out about her life. That was the highlight of our stay at Chezlinh! Thank you Thuy! Overall I’m not sure if I’d recommend Chezlinh though. It was cheap, clean & served a purpose ….a bed to sleep in, a place to leave your stuff and have a shower but other than that you didn’t really get much at Chezlinh …definitely not a feeling of staying with a Vietnamese family in a leafy old town location. If it had been located closer to the action we would probably have gone back to the house rather than staying out so we may have seen more of the family. There are several good budget hotels in more convenient locations where you’d probably see more of the staff than we did of the family at ChezLinh & you’d get much better food, service and comfort. It’s quite a cheap option though if budget is your priority.

Room tip: get an ensuite room
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank jsb1961
ChezlinhlinhTravel, Chủ sở hữu at Hanoi Homestay - ChezLinhLinh House, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2015

Hello Jane,

Thank you for taking your time to make a long and detailed comment about our homestay.
I feel sorry that the wrong choice of staying at my home made you uncomfortable in Hanoi, such a beautiful city.
We (and all comment of our guest) did not indicate that we are in the old quarter. But it is easy to get around from my house to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, West lake, Botanical garden…by foot and farer by bus.
The construction is everywhere in our country (in development) especially in a big city like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. The government makes the new road near my house, and it causes dirtiness, but it is a good opportunity for our neighborhood. Generous tourists should share this chance with us.

Many guests asked me: do I have any problems with our guest sometimes, I always answer that we don’t have any problems because the tourists who choose my house to stay were nice and understanding people. Those tourists were looking for an authentic place, local life & restaurant. They would like to see how the local people live with their family and their children, their spouses, how they earn their living, the children’s school and how they go to school and have homework… Not in a hotel where the receptionist is paid to stay there all time to answer their questions.

Those tourists were happy to get lost in small, dirty and tiny streets around of my house where the local people smile and say hello to them, they enjoyed a lot the noodle soup, fried rice, fried noodle, Banh xeo, Bun Cha… on those street, they are delicious with local price (2/3 price of the same dish in the tourist area)

Happiness that you were happy with our hospitality and cleanness. Thank you again for your open mind and I hope you could find a suitable job soon.

Dear our future Guest,

Chezlinhlinh house is in Ba Dinh District, one km from Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and 10 minutes’ walk to the West Lake, we are in quiet and safe area. There is a road construction 50m from my house. We do our best to make you feel like home or friend’s home.
If you are looking for cheap & hospitable & convenient & easy for the tourist (like KFC & High Land coffee), we are not your good choose

If you are looking for an authentic place, hospitable & convenient for adventure tourist & easy if you are smarts travellers. Welcome to our home!

Best Wishes!

Thuy Mrs – Owner

Reviewed July 25, 2015

We stayed here for four nights in July . Room was very spacious with high ceiling & aircon. Thuy is very accomodating & was always there to assist. We left our luggage here while heading to Halong bay @ no extra cost. A little out of the city but still within walking distance to everywhere. Definitely a family home stay experience.

Date of stay: July 2015