See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 21, 2015

I was really excited about staying at Chez Linh Homestay because its website and reviews gave the impression it was located in a leafy old town part of Hanoi and that the hosts welcomed you into their family and life and guided you around ‘secret Hanoi’ …..a chance to experience real Hanoi/Vietnam rather than be a tourist in a hotel. While in Vietnam I stayed in a few homestays & budget hotels so can compare Chezlinh to these. This is my honest opinion. I arrived by taxi on my own at night in the dark. I was dropped off by what looked like a rubbish dump …..an area by a dirty stream that was just a massive pile of rubbish and rubble …..my first impression was that I was in a rat infested ghetto. …..not at all what I was expecting & a little worrying! I was met at the taxi by the host’s husband who led me round the corner to an alley of old terraced houses where ChezLinh was located. It was a huge relief to find I was actually staying in a big old clean house! So please don’t be put off if that sight also greets you because once you’re round the corner it’s fine. I was introduced to the children, shown my room & the water tank in the hallway & then I was left alone. The rooms are fine ….huge, bright, clean, plenty of plug sockets & storage space but pretty sparse ….zero décor ….just furniture. The ensuite was also fine …it was clean and spacious with plenty of hot water. Unlike other homestays I stayed in, there was no kettle or refreshments but there was an empty noisy fullsize fridge freezer! There were also no toiletries except a couple of shampoo sachets and a tube of toothpaste. I needed neither but other homestays provided refreshments and amenities you’d find in a posh hotel. I slept well though! Breakfast was around the dining table in the kitchen with other guests. Food was put on the table to help yourself to ….some fruit, baguettes, butter, jam, yoghurts, juice ….and if you asked you could have a cup of tea or coffee. There was no choice for breakfast you just got what was put on the table and there were no cooked options ..not even eggs or pancakes. The host, Thuy, was away so her husband gave us a map and we set off to explore Hanoi on our own. Hanoi was great …crazy & we did fine without any guidance. We ended up staying out all day and night because Chezlinh was too far to go back to get changed and go out again. It’s a fair walk to where the action is …and a taxi ride back after a day of walking so not the most convenient place to stay but its quieter than hotels in the centre. There is nowhere to eat near Chezlinh so you have to stay out really. We stayed 4 nights. In that time we hardly saw the host family because we were out all day/night and they seemed busy people when we were at ‘home’. We spent one night on a Halong cruise and ChezLinh were very good in that they let us keep our stuff in our room even though we weren’t staying/paying for that night …they hadn’t booked out the rooms that night. And on our last night Thuy cooked us a traditional Vietnamese meal of fish pork and rice and beer which was very kind ….and gave us an opportunity at last to talk with her and find out about her life. That was the highlight of our stay at Chezlinh! Thank you Thuy! Overall I’m not sure if I’d recommend Chezlinh though. It was cheap, clean & served a purpose ….a bed to sleep in, a place to leave your stuff and have a shower but other than that you didn’t really get much at Chezlinh …definitely not a feeling of staying with a Vietnamese family in a leafy old town location. If it had been located closer to the action we would probably have gone back to the house rather than staying out so we may have seen more of the family. There are several good budget hotels in more convenient locations where you’d probably see more of the staff than we did of the family at ChezLinh & you’d get much better food, service and comfort. It’s quite a cheap option though if budget is your priority.

Room tip: get an ensuite room
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank jsb1961
ChezlinhlinhTravel, Chủ sở hữu at Hanoi Homestay - ChezLinhLinh House, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2015

Hello Jane,

Thank you for taking your time to make a long and detailed comment about our homestay.
I feel sorry that the wrong choice of staying at my home made you uncomfortable in Hanoi, such a beautiful city.
We (and all comment of our guest) did not indicate that we are in the old quarter. But it is easy to get around from my house to the Ho Chi Minh mausoleum, West lake, Botanical garden…by foot and farer by bus.
The construction is everywhere in our country (in development) especially in a big city like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. The government makes the new road near my house, and it causes dirtiness, but it is a good opportunity for our neighborhood. Generous tourists should share this chance with us.

Many guests asked me: do I have any problems with our guest sometimes, I always answer that we don’t have any problems because the tourists who choose my house to stay were nice and understanding people. Those tourists were looking for an authentic place, local life & restaurant. They would like to see how the local people live with their family and their children, their spouses, how they earn their living, the children’s school and how they go to school and have homework… Not in a hotel where the receptionist is paid to stay there all time to answer their questions.

Those tourists were happy to get lost in small, dirty and tiny streets around of my house where the local people smile and say hello to them, they enjoyed a lot the noodle soup, fried rice, fried noodle, Banh xeo, Bun Cha… on those street, they are delicious with local price (2/3 price of the same dish in the tourist area)

Happiness that you were happy with our hospitality and cleanness. Thank you again for your open mind and I hope you could find a suitable job soon.

Dear our future Guest,

Chezlinhlinh house is in Ba Dinh District, one km from Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum and 10 minutes’ walk to the West Lake, we are in quiet and safe area. There is a road construction 50m from my house. We do our best to make you feel like home or friend’s home.
If you are looking for cheap & hospitable & convenient & easy for the tourist (like KFC & High Land coffee), we are not your good choose

If you are looking for an authentic place, hospitable & convenient for adventure tourist & easy if you are smarts travellers. Welcome to our home!

Best Wishes!

Thuy Mrs – Owner

Reviewed July 25, 2015

We stayed here for four nights in July . Room was very spacious with high ceiling & aircon. Thuy is very accomodating & was always there to assist. We left our luggage here while heading to Halong bay @ no extra cost. A little out of the city but still within walking distance to everywhere. Definitely a family home stay experience.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2015

We are a family of 4, two boys 14 and 11, and Our youngest is picky when it comes to food. But they made us a home diner with spring rolls and our youngest son ate all he could. The room is great and it's a nice way to start your journey in Vietnam. They, the host even helped us with some trips to Ha Long bay and Bin Ninh region.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2015

What a wonderful place! We are a French family of 5 with three children aged 11, 8 and 5. Thuy and her family greeted us with such sympathy and open-heart we felt almost at home immediately. Chez LinhLinh house is located in a wonderful area, called the “village” by the local; real fun taking your bike and getting lost in the small streets. Thuy has a remarkable French for someone who has not travelled to France and a genuine interest in people; you will find yourself talking to her very quickly like someone that you know very well and eating at her dinner table like you are part of the family . Our homestay at LinhLinh house was one of the highlights of our 10 days trip in Vietnam that she organized for us through here travel agency. A definite thumbs up for Thuy for what she has done!!! We will come back for sure!

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2015

Our family of four, including 2 children, had a great stay with Thuy and her family. Hosts were so helpful and took such great care. Thuy organized our entire 3 week stay in Vietnam which included several train rides, private car transport and tour guides from Sapa to the Mekong. Everything was fantastic! Would not hesitate to recommend a stay here.

Date of stay: March 2015