“Absolute crap” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 334 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
Traveling
“Absolute crap”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Being on a 7 month trip around Asia and having travelled around Australia and Europe and Russia I have seen my share of hostels. You generally get what you pay for and I don't usually slate them for the things you should expect when you pay next to nothing. That being said, Central backpacker in Hanoi is THE WORST HOSTEL I have ever had the misfortune to stay in.

I won't go into a long rant about every little detail, but here is a run down.

Cleanliness; They only change the bottom sheet and not the duvet cover between guest, the cleaners will take a nap in your bed, they clean the floors with water from the toilet bowl, the only communal toilet is in the bar and is disgusting and never cleaned, the dorms get a cursory wipe over from time to time, but that about it. Dorms do not lock so you end up with people walking in at all hours.

Staff attitude; They will make you check out regardless of your booking if they need the bed for a large group, there is no secure storage after checkout so items are often stolen, the laundry service is the worst I have ever encountered(the items that made it back to us were somehow still wet, but not clean and several items were missing), if you complain they get aggressive, the advertised free beer is more often than not 'forgotten', breakfast is usually late so if you have an early bus or flight, good luck. Their tours are overpriced, as are the bus tickets.

It is hard to tell who works there and who doesn't, several times we tried to get breakfast or drinks to be told by the person behind the bar that they do not work there, but oh well I guess they were just hanging out. Staff or locals use the bar/breakfast room as a bedroom so you feel uncomfortable trying to eat while they have a lie in.

The only things this place has going for it are the price $5, but that's not hard to match in Hanoi and the location, but again you can find better for the same money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deaninmotion

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Saint Andrew, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for almost a week and saw three rooms during my stay (I was checking in and out due to day trips to Halong Bay etc.). All of the rooms were of similar quality. The bathrooms were all clean with good hot showers although they were a little dark. The beds were all very hard and the linen was pretty tired and grey looking and prompted me to jump inside my sleeping bag liner. Air conditioning worked fine.

For the last few nights I was in the room directly above the reception, the noise from the hostel bar starts at around 5pm and goes on until after midnight and was so loud there would be little chance of sleeping. I would recommend to stay out drinking until 12pm+ anyway ;)

The location is great, a short walk from the Old Quarter (food, beer, travel agents, coffee, shopping etc.) and in close proximity to Hoan Kiem lake.

Room Tip: If you are travelling in a group of 3-4 I would definitely consider getting a 4 bed private room. Th...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

No problems with this place, accepting that its a hostel. We took the top floor private room. Cleanliness was a bit of an issue, but again, the room was 25US per night for a large room with a private bath and two queen size beds. Beds were rock-hard, and the bedding was fairly old and stained, so better to leave the lights low in the room.

Everything is so inexpensive, on top of which there is a free happy hour from 7-8 while the beer lasts in the lounge. The place definitely has character, the elevator works, and its located in a very central location in Pho Co, a good place from which to explore. If your on a budget, you could definitely do worse.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

For US$5 a night, you get a good location, clean dorm bed, clean ensuite toilet, personal locker, and power points beside every bed. Real value for money. The drinking water sold at the reception is reasonably priced.

However, the aircon in our dorm was spoilt during our 2 night stay, making the room unbearably stuffy. We opened the balcony door slightly to let in the cool night air, which is unfortunately accompanied by the noise of the Hanoi streets. I told the reception about the aircon problem after the first night and while I did not expect it to be fixed within a day, they did not offer any temporary solutions such as bringing in portable fans or swapping rooms.

The beds were exceptionally creaky, and every small movement was heard by every member of the dorm. I had a bunk mate sleeping on the upper deck that snored loudly throughout the night (thank god for my ear plugs), although this was no fault of Central's.

The staff were friendly enough and always greeted us with wide smiles. However, there is a certain personal, genuine touch missing. Everything was treated purely like a business transaction (which of course it is), it would have been nice to feel like they genuinely wanted to help. For example, I wanted to go to Le Mat snake village on my first night and asked reception for advice. All they said was no problem a taxi could be arranged for us, and did not elaborate further on what to expect, which restaurant is recommended, etc. In the end we got lost there and wandered around for half an hour searching for the place I read about online. I also asked for a recommended massage place and was just directed to the one next door (they obviously had mutual business relations as they kept each others brochures), was hoping to be pointed to one with favourable reviews or one that the staff actually enjoy going to themselves.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hostel is in an excellent location just west of the Hoan Kiem Lake. We stayed in an 8 bed dorm which had comfy beds and contained an ensuite shared bathroom, air con, lots of power points and featured a balcony. The showers have hot water all day. Downstairs there is a bar area and lots of computers for guests to use for free (unfortunately smoking is allowed in this area).The free breakfast was basic but really nice (bread, butter, jam, a banana and tea or coffee).The staff here are friendly and always on hand to help you book tours, trains, buses etc and they really made our stay in Hanoi smooth and easy. It's a great place to meet people and go out if that's your kind of thing, but the rooms are far enough away from the bar for the party each evening not to ruin your sleep if you're not a night owl. We booked the 2 night/3 day Ha Long Bay tour through them (tour operator was Open Tours) for 110 USD and it was very good - we would recommend it as we felt like we were taken good care of and the accommodation on Cat Ba island is stunning. The only negative point at this hostel was that the bed sheets are not changed between guests, the sheets are treated with a scented spray each day instead.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mirfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

My first stay in Vietnam ... Ok so I was posh and got a private room but It had 2 big beds in it! oops. The staff are so friendly and helpful maybe a touch crazy! Went to some nightclub called Bubble Bar but shut early due to the curfew in Hanoi.

The free beer is a brilliant idea (ok maybe dangerous idea) it was brilliant to socialise with other travellers.

A couple of computers in reception to keep up to date with the world of do some planning, people are always coming and the staff will gladly help you with any query.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

My apologies to Toi and all the staff at Central...this review is long overdue!

In my eyes, there is absolutely no competition. If you come to Hanoi, you simply must stay here. Me and my friend arrived here in September, and literally had the time of our lives. The staff are absolutely amazing - gave us huge amounts of information about attractions in the area, and even took us on nights out. As a matter of fact, they even got me out of a sticky situation in central Hanoi where I may or may not have broken a taxi door... Although it is recommended in Lonely Planet, the review doesn't do this place justice.

The bar does happy hour which includes super cheap beer. Look out for Cong the barman, absolute LEGEND. On duty every night playing some big tunes, he's absolutely hilarious.

I actually felt pretty emotional leaving here - forget all the western-run joints in Hanoi. For the real Vietnamese experience you need to stay here. Lovely rooms, lots of computers for internet access, great bar, wonderful staff and perfect location. Choose central!!!

THANK YOU. I promise I'll come once I've graduated and have some money! I miss you all!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo