“Half the price of other backpacker chains and free beer”

Central Backpackers Hostel - Original
Ranked #30 of 362 Specialty Lodging in Hanoi
London, United Kingdom
“Half the price of other backpacker chains and free beer”
Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at a different backpacker chain in Hanoi, this cheaper alternative trumped it on most counts. Free local beer (bia hoi) from 7-8pm, and $5 air conned dorms with other traveller conveniences. Would definitely stay here next time I'm in Hanoi.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank jm661

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Douglas
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have been to Hanoi 3 times but only found this gem on my last visit. The location is great with lots of cheap cafes and bars surrounding it, and the dorms are so cheap at $5 per night! The staff are great fun and joined us on a couple of nights out, danced with us, even gave us a free shot of snake wine!(see pics). The bar downstairs is fairly shabby but so what! You get free beer between 7-8pm every night which is a great idea as everyone turns up and its easy to make friends.
The rooms are clean and tidy with air con and a small balcony. The showers are nice and hot. Best value for money in Hanoi!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kirsty R
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This family-owned hostel feels more like you're staying at a friend's house than a hostel in a foreign country. The brothers that run Central Backpackers are super friendly and are always more than happy to help you sort out any travel plans or dilemmas. They'll give you an honest opinion about local attractions too, rather than trying to up-sell a certain company to make a profit.

They had free internet when I was there, so I was able to skype with family back in Canada. They were within walking distance of all of the tourist attractions in Hanoi, and on the same street as some great Pho.

Oh, and they serve free beer in the lobby!!!

If I ever find myself backpacking through Vietnam again, I wouldn't think twice about going back to visit Central.

Room Tip: I stayed in the group room. Everyone got their own locker to lock important/valuable stuff in, and t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank plesslrm
UK
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We spent three nights here and went on their 3 day/2 night cruise. Keeping in mind that this is a backpackers hostel, we have experienced great service and great atmosphere for as little as $5/night. It's a great place to meet other backpackers, especially during happy hour (free beer 19-20) when the majority of the hostel congregates in the bar.

We had some trouble during out first night here due to a double booking and the staff worked hard to find us some beds. In the end, the two of us shared a massive double bed which we didn't have to pay for.

Room Tip: Try getting a room as high up as possible (seven floors total) as the bar downstairs can get roudy...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Olivia S
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for two nights in May 2012 as my first stop in Vietnam. I had never stayed in a hostel before and was pleasantly surprised by the place.

I organised for the hostel to collect me from the airport $15- cheaper than the robbers (taxi drivers) outside who charge $20 minimum.

Room are $5 a night for a dorm of 4 bunk beds with ensuite, a/c, locker, free beer at 7pm until the barrel is empty. rooms are cleanish, they need a scrub but generally ok.

I went on the 3 day 2 night Ha Long tour with the hostel. It was $100 and well worth it. It was superb value for money- lots of activities, great food and much better than the $160 booze cruise offered by the hostels around the corner

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Veggiekitty
sussex
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Nice relief from the smell of hanoi, good air-con & very friendly staff! Clean dorms and bathroom. Generally has a great atmosphere (free beer is very sociable for meeting people & other drinks are very cheap too - 20,000 for a vodka coke!). Staff are great for reccommendations. We also booked a halong bay trip through them as it was one of the cheaper options (3 days, one night on a boat, one night on monkey island). Really good experience and our guide was amazing. Great hostel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ellen m
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Travelers that doesn't come with a large number of friends nor stay for a long time in the hostel should be aware of my experience. My friend and I came to the hostel and specifically booked the room for 2 nights with a deposit for 1 night. But for the second night they told me to move to another hostel because there was a group of 15 persons coming and there wouldn't be enough bed in the hostel. Mind you, we were told that there were available bed for us for the 2 nights when we made the booking. After considerable arguing we found out we'd still going to be "kicked out" and it'd just be pointless to continue.
It's not that I am disappointed because I was told to move to a nearby lodge which wasn't as good as the hostel's condition, but it's because they didn't appreciate my booking and left me with the inconvenience for unnecessary moving. I will definitely never come again to a place where they don't keep their words.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends