“Great hotel in the old city center of Hanoi”
Review of Hanoi Tirant Hotel

Hanoi Tirant Hotel
Ranked #73 of 607 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed at the Tirant Hotel for a week, and had an excellent time. The service at the reception was great, the rooms were very nice (especially the onces at the top floor with balconies), the breakfast was excellent and the restaurant at the rooftop had nice food. We recommend this hotel to everyone! If you are going to Hanoi, you should have no doubt staying at the Tirant Hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top are the best. They have separate balconies.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Nathalie411
Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I decided on booking the Tirant because of location and the pool. The pool the pool the pool. I was looking forward to a plunge pool dip on the roof top next to the bar after a hot humid 36 degree day.

We arrived, a lovely quick check in. We were a bit early for check in but the rooms happened to be ready so they gave them to us early. Very nice of them.

The rooms are very clean and pleasant decor. Its modern.....not run down. They are doing renovations at the moment but the workers have set hours to work between so the noise is only during the day which blends in well with the noise and hussle and bussle of hanoi anyway. The rooms have excellent air conditioning. There is cups and kettle but you do need to get your own tea/coffee. The mini bar is 'mini' with beer, pop and water. No spirits. We took out all their bits n bobs and added our own 'must haves' from the FiVi supermarket down the road.

Each morning there seems to have been a member of the management team stop by our table to say hello. They have been a wealth of information, particularly Bella who uses her intuitive and thinks of small things to make our stay that much more pleasant.

Did have a bad experience with a chicken dish at the pearl restaurant. The chicken was rubber. I think they may have used a rooster they caught and then over cooked it. Thought I was eating a rubber gumboot. But that was one bad dish out of five dinner dishes eaten there and they were super good about it and didn't charge us for it.

On check in we were informed that the pool was closed for renovations. WHAT!? Say that again? It's the only reason I booked here?! She explained that there was a minor issue with the pool which turned out to be a bigger issue with the pool so management decided to use this opportunity to upgrade the pool and the bar and the whole couple of floors. Okay, I get that. Good call management team. But dammit! The pool!

As a way of compensation they made us three offers and we could choose which suited us best. Something to do with the SF spa, something to do with the mini bar and six items of laundry per day per room for free. We went with the laundry option. Laundry was great....but the pool.....

The hotel was great. Staff friendly and happy, free breakfast was really good. Something for everyone. They are catering for so many different nationalities here it must be hard to please everyone. But i think they do a really good job of it. They do make changes on the buffet menu each day but the good basics are always there. Free wifi and a computer in each room makes it a breeze to stay in touch or check out trip advisor etc etc. free water in you room every day and a small snack on our arrival of traditional rice cakes and bananas

Location is excellent! Its not right on the main drag so road noise disappears at 10:00pm. Everything you could hope for is within a 2.5 km radius being in the heart of the old quarter.

This hotel with the pool is excellent value for dollar. I didn't give it the full five star because the pool and roof top bar was being renovated. They did have us change rooms so they could do some work on our floor. It wasn't a big deal or a problem. We just threw everything into our bags and they moved us.....well they moved mum. Hubby was happy to take the bags himself.

We are here for six nights. Glad to be here, four night down two more to go. Now that my review is done on my free wifi, I'm off to breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank NZandBeyond
Reviewed July 28, 2014

So I don't know exactly what to start with.
Normally if I review something it is about how terrible it is, what staff did wrong etc.
But if I did that to the Tirant it would be essentially nitpicking.
I guess the staff were too friendly?
My room was too clean and spacious?
Some of the light switches were initially confusing?

I stayed there during the construction (which is finishing in August I believe), and I stayed on the 7th floor, which meant from about 10 am to 6 pm there was a lot of construction noise. However I was rarely in the room then - so it was of minor annoyance.

Unfortunately the booking website I used failed to inform us that the topmost floor of the rooftop restaurant and the pool would be out of use. This was irritating since we were looking forward to that fabulous view (although we didn't care about the pool), but the rooftop restaurant was still great. The food was tasty, the staff were friendly and the view from the still open floor was great. We were also treated to a night of free beer and snacks - which went a long way in making up for the inconvenience.

The room I stayed in (for about $50 a night) was large, had a queen sized bed, large TV, 4 seats (why?), a large Bathroom with a sizeable shower and a minibar. The room service and minibar price list were both very reasonable (a dish from the restaurant was a few dollars more and a beer from the fridge was about $1). The air conditioning was fantastic and it stays on after you exit - unlike many hotels I have stayed in. The cleaning staff replaced all the soaps and amenities daily, they frequently managed to do this in between me leaving for breakfast and coming back afterwards (very impressive).

We also booked a trip through the tour desk. It was reasonably priced and there quite a few to choose from.

If I ever go back to Hanoi I would definitely stay in the Tirant again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a lakeview room on a highish floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank smalltime0
Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights just over a week ago.

We found out about the construction work after we had booked, but upon finding out I emailed the hotel prior to our arrival and they agreed to upgrade our room.

We were woken up one night at 2am by rubble from the works being shovelled in to the back of a truck, but apart from that the noise wasn't so bad. OK there was a bit of noise during the day, but who visits Hanoi to sit in their room all day?

Apart from this the hotel was great. The rooms were large and clean with satellite TV, stocked mini bars and comfy beds.

The staff were very helpful, friendly and polite, and the food in the restaurant was great, with the exception of the breakfast buffet which wasn't fantastic, but it filled a hole.

I would recommend this hotel. I only wish the pool had been operational while we had been there.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deminedprincess
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Been staying there for 6 days with a Halong Bay break of 2 days, all organised by that wondeful staff( Anna), my thanks for that wonderful hotel. We are from France and want to thank you for your warm "accueil". It's like a 2 stars hotel in France. One or two things to say about the cruise along Halong bay : good value but we will like less to eat, but a dessert much appropriate would be a plus. A free coffee or tea at the end will be fine. Concerning the hotel things are fine but you can ameliorate your rooms by constantly renovating them. I recommend that hotel to all wanting to travel to Hanoi..

Room Tip: rooms with a windows
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank soobratty_ahmad
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were looking forward to our stay at the Tirant, having booked a suite for 5 nights. A few days before we arrived we received the news that the pool was being renovated and that it would be out of use during our stay. We were disappointed. However, when we arrived it got worse. The receptionist informed us that because we were on the 8th floor the building noise would be worse for us. She informed the building hours would be from 0830 to 1830 each day.
When we got to the room, we were impressed with the layout and space. From inside the room at 1900 on the Sunday it sounded like someone was drilling through the ceiling. However, when opening the balcony doors we were greeted with more building....a new hotel is under construction directly opposite and the local workmen were none too secret about staring at us on our balcony.
Our balcony was covered in cement and concrete from the swimming pool construction above. We decided there was no way we could stay and decided to look for alternative accommodation.
We didn't stay at the Tirant that night and informed the reception why we were leaving. They were very apologetic and kept reminding us that in a few months time there would be a big beautiful pool to enjoy. Not very helpful to us!

From our new hotel (Essemce Hanoi please see review) we could still see the Tirant and the new hotel opposite. They were clearly starting work before 0830 (around 0630) one day.

I am sure at any other time the Tirant is a lovely hotel with pleasant staff but we feel they were not 100% upfront about the building work and really it would have been better for them to temporarily close the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ciara2403
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I had a great stay at Hanoi Tirant Hotel. Very nice hotel, great service and location. It's right in the middle of the Old Quarter and just about 5 minutes walk to Hoan Kiem Lake. From the hotel, I could easily walk to the Opera House, the French Quarter and many shops, restaurants ..The room was very lovely, large, clean and comfortable with a useful computer in room. The breakfast was wonderful and varied, served both Asian and Western cuisine . The staff are very friendly and helpful to give me a map to make sure I wouldn't lose my way in the Capital. :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo