“A characterful boutique hotel perfectly located in central Hanoi” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection
Ranked #72 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Durham, United Kingdom
“A characterful boutique hotel perfectly located in central Hanoi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

When I first arrived, late in the evening and hot, tired and a little jet lagged, I worried that I was not going to enjoy this rather up market hotel. I sometimes find luxurious hotels unfriendly, rather anonymous and a bit alienating. The height of the bed and the rather inadequate bedside table - too low and not enough room to put much on it - didn't help my mood. However, I needn't have worried! I soon found this boutique hotel to be full of character, the staff very friendly and helpful and the amenities extensive and imaginatively and tastefully designed.
Breakfast in the extraordinary inner courtyard really is a unique experience, and the staff are attentive and always smiling, in a sincere way. The pool area is small, but extends out into the hotel balcony, and there are delicately designed loungers and chairs available on the balcony if you want to dry off in the sun. I was pleasantly surprised by freshly squeezed lemon drinks and skewers of fresh fruits which were offered to me unsolicited, and free.
I spent four very happy nights at the hotel, and found the staff very helpful when I needed something for work (directions and sorting out taxis) or wanted to buy tickets (for the Water puppets) or book a table (at the Ly Club), and didn't have time to attend to them myself. Nothing was too much trouble, and by the end of my stay I felt I knew many of the young staff to smile at and joke with.
The Hotel is also superbly located, right in the centre of Hanoi and a short walk from Hoan Kiem Lake. For such a hotel, the price isn't exorbitant by the standards of most country's capital city. So, if you can afford it, I would recommend staying at the Hotel de L'Opera without any reservation whatsoever.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the inner courtyard can be a little noisy, as voices and noises can reverberate...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Robin H,

Thank you so very much for your kind words. It was a real treat reading through your wonderful experiences with us in regards to both our facilities and level of services, whcih appears to have exceeded your expectations. Indeed, we do strive to ensure that our guest experience is both comfortable and unique, creating a memorable experience.

Once again, our sincerest of thanks for your positive feedback and I do look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel de l'Opera in the near future.

Bodo Klingenberg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Modern rooms, ample breakfast, lovely service and nice drinks at the bar. All good after a hot day touring the city! We stayed for two nights in a room facing the side street on the 4th floor. It was a bit noisy but nothing that bothered us. I kind of liked the way I couldn't forget where I was and what was happening just outside. We stayed one more night before we traveled home and that time stayed in a room on the 5th floor facing the courtyard and did not like that as much. The room was generally the same but the echoes of the courtyard were annoying and not having a window to the outside wasn't great....however, this is obviously a personal preference. The wait staff at the restaurant were a little "in your face" but the rest of the staff were not. The hotel is a great find- nothing to complain about!

Room Tip: Read my review!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Beth B,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was very pleased that, overall, your experiene was both positive and comfortable. However, I was saddened to learn about the poor level of service you experienced in our hotel's restaurant. My sincerest of apologies for this negligence in laps of service. I shall personally address this matter with our respective team members so as to continually strive to achieve the high level of service standards our guests have come to expect from us.

I do hope to welcome you back to Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, should the opportunity in the future present itself.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We were there on a quick trip to view Hanoi (the old quarters) and Halong Bay and stayed at this charming boutique hotel just 15mins walk away from the Old Quarters and 3mins from the Opera House.

Location wise - it is considered fairly central, and a hop, skip and jump away from where you would want to visit / see in Hanoi. There are a few shops around the hotel, and a great Argentinian steakhouse just up the road. Also there are a few "cafes" nearby which serve great Vietnamese food.

We stayed in a deluxe room on the 6th floor - and when I saw there were earplugs as part of the amenity kit, I knew it could only mean one thing. Noise! Now this is no fault of the hotel, but for those light sleepers out there - just be aware that the "sound of music" from Vietnamese drivers don't peter out till well past 11pm.

The room was tastefully done up, with most of the modern trappings of 5* hotels, but the airconditioner was a disappointment (as with most AC in Hanoi). With temperatures approaching 35 on a daily basis and humidity hitting 100pc, the room failed to give welcome respite despite a couple of gentle prodding to the front desk to service the AC. In fact, the corridor leading up from the elevator to the room was a sauna.

The room is a tad small (but I'm not complaining too much) , but it fits a king size bed and an armchair and the usual wardrobe. If you're travelling with kids, good luck, its gonna be a tight fit.

The swimming pool on the 3rd floor is a sorry excuse for a pool....I'm sorry, but for a 4-5* hotel, its going to have to do better to make it more enticing. Wanted to go for a dip but upon seeing it, retreated back to the room.

Breakfast was great - with alacarte choices that encompass what most international travellers (both business / holiday makers) would want. From local fare to the generic Western breakfasts. The buffet had the usual toasts, pastries, noodles, salad, fruits, yoghurts etc. Service was great and attentive, and there was never a problem with seating in July. (Low season supposedly in Hanoi - probably due to the oppressive weather)

Tried to use the conceirge for help once - was looking for Made in Vietnam clothes, but the limited English he spoke meant that he couldn't really understand what we were looking for, and thus sent us on a wild goose chase. But that didn't take the gloss off our adventure as we eventually found what we wanted in the Old Quarters.

Check in and out was quick and painless. Probably in part because we had paid up prior to arrival.

WIFI was available - but a tad slow at peak hours. And almost non existent at the lobby.

Nevertheless, it was an acceptable stay but I'll probably choose another hotel if I were to visit Hanoi again to compare.

Room Tip: I suppose you would want to get a room facing AWAY from the main road to avoid the noise
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chua_HC
Dear Chua_HC,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I do regreat to learn that some of our facilities and services failed to meet your expectations. Please do accept my sincerest of apologies.

I shall be addressing your clearly stated points, particulary in regards to both our pool facitities and our team members' communication skill level, with our manangement team. Do know that our main focus is to ensure our guest experience is not only comfortable but also memorable. Thus, your feedback is essential, and we do appreciate it.

I was, however, pleased to learn that your overall stay with us was both pleasant and comfortable and do hope to welcome you back soon, should the opportunity present itself.

Bangkok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Beautiful rooms in the perfect location. Nice room design and amenities, and top quality beds. Food outlets could be better, but there's a lot of choice in the area so no real issue. Would recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Eric2BKK,

Thank you so very much for your kind words and positive comments regarding your recent stay with us!

I am happy to learn that you viewed your experience with us in such a fantastical way and do hope to have the privilate in welcoming you back soon, should the opportunity present itself.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

2 minute walk to the lake, a great place to start a Vietnamese holiday. 12 of us stayed here and would not hesitate to come again. Friendly, helpful staff, comfortable (very high!) beds, great breakfast in the central atrium and good pool and gym. I would try to get an inward facing room, you miss out on a street view, but much quieter and less likely to be woken ( as our kids were) by stuff happening on the very busy street outside. I will try and post photos of the room. I think this is the only hotel i have stayed in that has mirrors on the ceiling ( hence the Eagles ref) in the corridors

Room Tip: Atrium facing room - as above
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear dkreview,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is indeed a great pleasure to know that your stay was both comfortable and enjoyable.

I do hope to welcome you back to Hotel de l'Opera in the future, should the opportunity present itself.

Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect. You are in short distanse from every must seeing. The beautiful opera is just around the corner.
Perhaps you have eaten some good hotelbreakfasts. But you have not been at the Opera's breakfast. You have to .....
The servise is perhaps the best score. The staff is there for you - any time.
And there is a restaurant - just around the corner - called Opera as well - go there and take a look at the busy streetlife outside.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank larsen075
Dear larsen075,

I was very pleased to have read your very wonderful comments in regards to your recent stay with us. Specifically, I was very happy to have learned that our team members were able to delivery a unique and memorable service experience to you during your stay.

Thank you once again for your kind feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon, should the opportunity present itself.

Empire Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Really different...kind of art deco and very French influenced architecture. Loved it. Stayed two nights. Can highly recommend the bar area downstairs - cocktails to die for...and the restaurant..awesome food and beautifully presented with delightful staff. Very quite and comfortable. We had breakfast included and it was faultless. We also had dinner there one night as to tired to go out...so worth it. Perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear kathjan,

I was delighted to have read your very nice comments regarding your experience at Hotel de l'Opera! Thank you for your wonderful feedback. Indeed, our team members do strive to ensure our guests experience a comfortable and memorable stay and I was pleased to see that this was the case during your recent visit.

I do also appreciate your comments regarding our restaurant's menu offering as well as your positive feedback pertaining to our team's service. These positive comments do serve as a motivational tool for our team and I shall ensure they are shared properly.

Should a visit to Hanoi be part of your future travel plans, we do hope to have the opportunity in welcoming you back.