Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi
Ranked #84 of 600 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is Fantastic!!!

Very quirky stylish rooms, attentive staff, very nice area.

Really pleased to have booked this hotel!

Highly recommend.

Definitely close enough to the old quarter and far enough walk to be in a quieter (for Hanoi) neighbourhood.

Lovely!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CBryant30
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Dear Claire B,

Thank you for taking time to write us a 5 star review, I'm delighted that you enjoyed staying at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - your new found holiday home.

I have passed your comments on and the team are delighted to know they have made such a positive impact on you.

Please let me know next time you visit Hanoi, we'll make sure it will be better than the previous one with extra smiles from the team.

Bodo Klingenberg

Write a ReviewReviews (1,525)

Reviewed November 27, 2013

The first few nights we stayed in the hotel, we were given a deluxe room on the 3rd floor. The gym, sauna, swimming pool and veranda are also on the 3rd floor. The room had 2 single beds. Beds were quite high. I commented to my friend, "do we do a running jump to get on?" We're both 5'2". But no running or jumping necessary. I placed one knee on the bed and gripped the bed covers to pull myself up. :) No problem. My friend pushed her bed to expose the platform and used that as a step. The bathroom was fabulous! Big mirror with lights all around, like those used by artists and movie stars. Reddish pink iridescent tiles. Beats staring at boring marble or plain tiles.

Hotel was nice enough to store our luggage while my friend and I went for an overnight stay in Ninh Binh. When we came back, they upgraded us to a suite! Suite was on the 4th floor. Bigger room with king size bed, living area, and a bigger bathroom with L'Occitane verbena bath products! Bathroom had gold-hued iridescent tiles and a big claw-foot bathtub. Even more fabulous!

Super comfy bed + luxurious bathrobe = lazy girl. Made me want to stay in to sleep and watch tv. Sigh.

Negatives:
1) TV in suite was right at the foot of the bed and cannot be seen from the living area.
2) For 10 nights' stay at the hotel, they could have thrown in free airport pick-up. I paid 51 USD for airport pick-up. Fare from hotel to airport cost me 370,000 VND (approx. 18 USD). Both trips to and from airport arranged through hotel. BUT TO BE FAIR, they did upgrade us to a suite for our last 5 nights in the hotel.

Hotel's complimentary breakfast buffet was great, too!

Exchanging US dollars to VND was easy at the hotel. I went around and inquired in 4 banks and the hotel's exchange rates were better than some other local banks in the area.

Room Tip: From the 3rd floor, I can hear cars and motorcycles honking and the early morning noise from the pub...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear Regi_Grace,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We appreciate the feedback and are delighted you enjoyed the stay. I'm glad to hear that you liked the design and our signature bed which is one of the main features of the hotel to create a hotel that guests cannot forget.

Although I'm sorry to hear that you had a couple of negative experience. Actually in all suite rooms we have 2 TVs, one as you mentioned, right at the foot of the bed and another one in the living room for guests' conveniences. Regarding the airport pick-up, your stay was in the middle of high season so our two Mercedes cars were probably unavailable, please let us know in advance for your next stay, we'll have the car ready for you if they're available.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

What a shame indeed for a hotel with such a good location, the service is not up to par for the price you pay. Firstly the staff were kind enough to offer an upgrade to a suite on my first night there due to my AccorHotel Membership status and they even kept my luggage and belonging safe while I made my trip to Halong Bay. Upon returning and checking in for another night, I went up to my room only to realise there were still hair from previous guests on my pillow.

Yuk! I don't know about you, but that indicates to me how often and thorough this hotel is at cleaning up their rooms in between guests stay.

When I did call to tell them about it, the staff did not know how to handle the situation and ended up sending a pillow with no cover (not quite sure if they expect guests to change their own pillowcases? at 40 dollars a night maybe, but definitely NOT at 160 dollars a night).

Noise from the street travelled up to the room, the shower drainage was horrible and water did not drain properly and leaves a weird horrible smell. (double yuk!)

What a shame, for a pretty hotel such as this, i won't be returning for another visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Nsharil,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment regarding your recent stay with us. Even though, we were happy to hear that you appreciated the complimentary upgrade and our offer to safe-keep your luggage in-between stays, we were most disappointed to learn of the problems you encountered during your second stay with us.

However, please allow me to reassure you that there is absolutely no possibility that the hair you found on your pillow case would have been from a previous occupant as all our pillow cases are changed daily, for in-house and departing guests alike and laundered professionally by an outside laundry. Even though our housekeeping attendants with long hair are required to wear hairnets to avoid exactly this kind of situation, it is more likely that the hair may have come from the attendant who had changed the linen on your bed. Whilst I do of course realise that this does not make it any more acceptable, I wanted to reassure you that the linen in your room had been otherwise fresh and clean.

Apologies too for the plumbing issues you mentioned: such a shame you did not ask to be moved to another room, which could have so easily solved the problem!

Once again, please accept me sincere apologies for these shortcomings: there were indeed some important lessons for us to be learned and your valid points were taken extremely seriously and followed up. We hope that the steps taken since, will prevent incidents of this nature from occurring again.

General Manager.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were booked to stay for two nights at this property of Accor Hotels and it is a nice property located right near the Hanoi Opera House. We were given a room that had a partial view of the Opera House and it was nice touch to our stay here. The furnishing in the rooms were a bit bright and flashy for me, there was a pink velvet chair and green velvet chair and grey and pink velvet couch etc. The bed was not very comfortable and the bathrooms though fairly large also followed the same flashy bright decor. The breakfast was good, fairly large spread with lots of choices. The atrium seating added a nice touch to the morning breakfast scene. There is a small gym if you want to exercise and there is an adjoining pool, both the gym and pool open out into a terrace that has rattan chairs and loungers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear V R,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like our décor style, as a signature hotel of the Mgallery collection, we strive to bring to our guests memorable moments through Opera-house-inspired design and unique bedding experience.

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi- member of MGallery Collection

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The decor is quite ambitious...maybe even a bit over the top. But we loved the way our room was layed out. The bathroom can be a separate room, or part of the larger open space. There was a huge claw-footed tub. Food and service was very nice! It was a cool and pleasant place to stay in the middle of hot Hanoi. And, the location was excellent. We would stay there again. My only issue is that our room was not ready when we arrived either time. (We stayed there twice.) Having said that, the staff handled the problem very nicely.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel de lOpera H, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Ktravel_13,

Thank you for taking time to give us such a great review, we appreciate the opportunity to hear from all our guests and use the feedback to continue our journey to create a memorable hotel.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi and our staff was helpful, I passed the comments on and the team are delighted to know they have made such a positive impact on you.

Please let me know next time you visit Hanoi, I'll have the room ready for you perfectly on time with extra smiles from the team.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

2nd stay here (I switch between L'opera and Sofitel in Hanoi) and was not disappointed. The staff actually remembered me from my first stay. Airport transfer and other transportation requests were met seamlessly and I really can't fault the service. Needless to say, location, rooms and food were great. I am definitely coming back to L'opera on my next Hanoi visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Chermz,

Thank you very much for the 5 star review, It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This hotel is perfectly located: a walking distance to the lake, a mall, and many shops and restaurants. The service is friendly and professional. Two rooms I've stayed in during my two visits were clean and well equipped. The internet connection was fast and available at the restaurant as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear OrangeSunset441,

Thank you so much for the high praise, it makes my day to know we have created a hotel that you love! I have passed on your comments to our team who was delighted to know they help meet your needs.

Thanks again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one. I look forward to welcome you back to your new found holiday home - Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi.