“Stay at the Metropole if you can afford it”

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi
Ranked #86 of 607 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed June 7, 2012

As a place to sleep and base yourself for sightseeing, I can't fault this hotel. It’s new and the hotel is quite hip although the rooms are on the small side. The service at the restaurant though was appalling both at breakfast and at dinner (they were good enough not to charge me for my dinner after I complained). The concierge was even worse: I asked them about the agency I had used to book my Ha Long Bay cruise and they couldn’t be less interested; they couldn’t even book for me Water Puppet tickets. For lunch and dinner after the first night we always ate at the Metropole which was fantastic – we wish we had splurged and stayed there for the extra $90 a night for the impeccable service and unique historic and colonial ambience. Meanwhile, the concierge at the Metropole, unlike at the L’Opera, did two things for us despite the fact that we were not guests: i) telephoned the Water Puppet theatre to book tickets as well as provided us with the actual tickets then and there; and ii) telephoned the actual boat we were meant to be sailing on for our Ha Long Bay cruise to re-confirm our booking and to ensure the agent we had used was legitimate before handing over to them the cash for the cruise - most helpful indeed. If you can't afford to stay anywhere else, just try to avoid eating at the L'Opera and don't waste your time with their concierge.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Dear S O,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. Whilst we were happy to hear that you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay with us, learning that we failed to meet with your expectations in other areas was of course very disappointing. However, I genuinely appreciate some of the points raised in your review, which are valid and do indeed require our immediate attention.
I am actually very new to this property and my primary task is to take stock following the hotel’s recent opening and to identify and address areas of improvement. In every hotel, this tends to be an on-going task, however, as you can probably imagine, in a newly-opened property it often turns out that systems the way that were designed in theory pre-opening, turn out to be impractical or unworkable later on.
Currently our tour desk is contracted out to specialist provider and implementing a proper Concierge service is high up on my list. With regards to the disappointing dining experience, I would like to think that this was an unfortunate blip as our young and highly motivated team usually generate much praise. Having said, your case is being investigated right now to find out what went wrong so that the necessary training can be initiated immediately. If there is any way we could persuade to return to this property at some point in the future, I feel confident that you will find that these issues will have been addressed and standards improved.
In the meantime, I would once again like to apologise for the disappointment we have caused and assure you that every effort will be made to improve our service standards. Should you decide to return to us, please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist you with your arrangements.

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi- member of MGallery Collection

Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed here in May 2012 and were impressed with every aspect. Admittedly it was low season, so the hotel was quiet, but we found the service to be fantastic and had no problems with breakfast provision, as highlighted by some other reviews.

We loved our bedroom (room 404), which had a view over the internal courtyard and, even at just 5' 1, I had no problem jumping up on to the massive bed!

All in all we were very sad to leave the hotel and we highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Our courtyard view room was very quiet - you could easily lie back and forget about all the scooters...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elu42f
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Dear elu42f,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments toward Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staffs as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Great location in Hanoi... Short walk to old quarter. Great rooms.... Very hip/boutique feel. Bed was great! Staff very nice... On our last morning we had a very early breakfast as we had an early start to Halong Bay.... Our eggs took a very long time to come!!! not really helping our early start.
Overall - great place to stay in Hanoi... With very comfy boutique rooms.

• Stayed: May 2012
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Dear mollyjetset ,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments toward Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. I am pleased to know that you like our hotel with regards to the rooms, nicestaffs and its boutique feel.

I am however sorry to know that the breakfast did not meet your expectation. May I express my sincerest apologies for the case.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

The first impression arriving at the hotel was disappointing. The entrance is like in an office house, so we had to ask twice if it was the right address. Entering the lobbby all is quite else. The personnel is helpful but
never intrusive. The rooms are spacious and well equiped with expensive gadgets and l'Occcitane products. The internet connection by wifi and
LAN cable was reliable. The bath is beautiful and the best of the room which is otherwise a little bit dark. The hotel has an indoor pool and a terrace for relaxing. The breakfast was very good with some French touch. The price for it with nearly $ 30 p.p. incl. all taxes and service is ciearly for Vietnam too much.

This central situated hotel can be recommended and you get good value for your money.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear elcoco1,

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed at the M Gallery Hotel de l'Opera for a full week for business and found it to be just okay.

What it has going for it is location, location, location. It is around the block from the famous and beautiful Sofitel Metropole, in the opposite direction there are some fine upscale restaurants including Jacksons Steakhouse. The mains street the hotel opens on to has a number o art galleries and a '7eleven' style store across the road. A veyr short walk up this street is the impressive Opera House at one end and a stroll down the other end of this street is the old quarter.

Things that weren't so good. The hotel is built with a centre void - so it means most rooms face straight into other hotel rooms. The void has a dining/club area at ground floor - it is very noisy.

The service staff are eager to assist but English is very challenging particularly when compared ot other similar hotel staff. Housekeeping rarely respect the do not disturb sign. The food outlet on the ground floor serves a limited menu and for breakfast buffet - it was not unusual to find some items not replenished. The lobby bar - advertised heavily as an 'Absinthe' bar was an immense disappointment as on this trip and on a previous one earlier int he year - on both occassions it was out of stock of... absinthe. Also airconditioning very very poor in this public spaces despite the rooms being ok.

Strangely - in the local tour guides the hotel is listed as having a spa - however it doesn't exist and I was advised it was opened during the hotels launch briefly and has been closed ever since.

I'd have given this a 3 star but allowing for the non-existent spa and the always out of stock absinthe - it's a 2 star.
I'd recommend this hotel for a quick fly in and fly out business hotel but for couples and leisure travels who want a veyr special experience - the l'Opera needs more work, go with the Metropole.

Room Tip: high floors, away from lift lobby, request non-smoking if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank ThrillingMe
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for my friends going to Vietnam to attend my wedding. I secure 2 booking with my credit card and both time have problem. For the first group of friend, the hotel double charge on my credit card. They did email me to alert the mistake and said the refund was made imdiatly. I was waiting for one week to check my credit card the refund did not arrive. In the mean time, the credit card company charge me for overlimit spending caused by the hotel mistake! I email the hotel 2 times one week later to ask about the refund and no one reply. I called a few times and they said they will check again with their bank for the refund and let me know...At the end, i got it back after over 3 weeks. It's very hassle and waste of time for me. But not yet finished.
After one month, they contacted me to tell that their staff forget to charge my credit card the full amount for another couple of friend. Somehow they charged only 2/3 of the full amount but on the credit card authorisation form, i did allow this hotel to charge the full amount for the room. Another waster of time for me to go back and check all my credit card statement to verify it for them then allow them to charge the rest.
But i heart from my friend that the room and service there are good so far. They seem happy about their stay. Only the payment staff dont know how to do their job apparently.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Dear lthg,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the payment issue you have faced.

At MGallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer, therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurence.

We appreciate your sharing the concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in not a far distant future.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel is located close to the Opera House and a short walk to the lake and old quarter of Hanoi. It has been beautifully restored into a hotel with many old and some very modern French characteristics. I stayed in a suite room - which was two rooms and so had ample space to work and have meetings in the second room. Unfortunately these rooms are on the outside and so come with all the traffic noise that Hanoi has to offer...why do motor bikes have to blow their horn at 3 am??? There are superior rooms that face into the hotel courtyard which would be a better option for my next stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business