“Good location... Hip rooms”

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection
Ranked #75 of 578 Hotels in Hanoi
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Good location... Hip rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

Great location in Hanoi... Short walk to old quarter. Great rooms.... Very hip/boutique feel. Bed was great! Staff very nice... On our last morning we had a very early breakfast as we had an early start to Halong Bay.... Our eggs took a very long time to come!!! not really helping our early start.
Overall - great place to stay in Hanoi... With very comfy boutique rooms.

• Stayed May 2012
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear mollyjetset ,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments toward Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. I am pleased to know that you like our hotel with regards to the rooms, nicestaffs and its boutique feel.

I am however sorry to know that the breakfast did not meet your expectation. May I express my sincerest apologies for the case.

Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi- member of MGallery Collection

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
switzerland & czech republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

The first impression arriving at the hotel was disappointing. The entrance is like in an office house, so we had to ask twice if it was the right address. Entering the lobbby all is quite else. The personnel is helpful but
never intrusive. The rooms are spacious and well equiped with expensive gadgets and l'Occcitane products. The internet connection by wifi and
LAN cable was reliable. The bath is beautiful and the best of the room which is otherwise a little bit dark. The hotel has an indoor pool and a terrace for relaxing. The breakfast was very good with some French touch. The price for it with nearly $ 30 p.p. incl. all taxes and service is ciearly for Vietnam too much.

This central situated hotel can be recommended and you get good value for your money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear elcoco1,

Thank you for taking time to write your comments toward Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staffs as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed at the M Gallery Hotel de l'Opera for a full week for business and found it to be just okay.

What it has going for it is location, location, location. It is around the block from the famous and beautiful Sofitel Metropole, in the opposite direction there are some fine upscale restaurants including Jacksons Steakhouse. The mains street the hotel opens on to has a number o art galleries and a '7eleven' style store across the road. A veyr short walk up this street is the impressive Opera House at one end and a stroll down the other end of this street is the old quarter.

Things that weren't so good. The hotel is built with a centre void - so it means most rooms face straight into other hotel rooms. The void has a dining/club area at ground floor - it is very noisy.

The service staff are eager to assist but English is very challenging particularly when compared ot other similar hotel staff. Housekeeping rarely respect the do not disturb sign. The food outlet on the ground floor serves a limited menu and for breakfast buffet - it was not unusual to find some items not replenished. The lobby bar - advertised heavily as an 'Absinthe' bar was an immense disappointment as on this trip and on a previous one earlier int he year - on both occassions it was out of stock of... absinthe. Also airconditioning very very poor in this public spaces despite the rooms being ok.

Strangely - in the local tour guides the hotel is listed as having a spa - however it doesn't exist and I was advised it was opened during the hotels launch briefly and has been closed ever since.

I'd have given this a 3 star but allowing for the non-existent spa and the always out of stock absinthe - it's a 2 star.
I'd recommend this hotel for a quick fly in and fly out business hotel but for couples and leisure travels who want a veyr special experience - the l'Opera needs more work, go with the Metropole.

Room Tip: high floors, away from lift lobby, request non-smoking if this is important to you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank ThrillingMe
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for my friends going to Vietnam to attend my wedding. I secure 2 booking with my credit card and both time have problem. For the first group of friend, the hotel double charge on my credit card. They did email me to alert the mistake and said the refund was made imdiatly. I was waiting for one week to check my credit card the refund did not arrive. In the mean time, the credit card company charge me for overlimit spending caused by the hotel mistake! I email the hotel 2 times one week later to ask about the refund and no one reply. I called a few times and they said they will check again with their bank for the refund and let me know...At the end, i got it back after over 3 weeks. It's very hassle and waste of time for me. But not yet finished.
After one month, they contacted me to tell that their staff forget to charge my credit card the full amount for another couple of friend. Somehow they charged only 2/3 of the full amount but on the credit card authorisation form, i did allow this hotel to charge the full amount for the room. Another waster of time for me to go back and check all my credit card statement to verify it for them then allow them to charge the rest.
But i heart from my friend that the room and service there are good so far. They seem happy about their stay. Only the payment staff dont know how to do their job apparently.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
HoteldelOpera, General Manager at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, May 27, 2012
Dear lthg,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the payment issue you have faced.

At MGallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer, therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurence.

We appreciate your sharing the concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in not a far distant future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

This hotel is located close to the Opera House and a short walk to the lake and old quarter of Hanoi. It has been beautifully restored into a hotel with many old and some very modern French characteristics. I stayed in a suite room - which was two rooms and so had ample space to work and have meetings in the second room. Unfortunately these rooms are on the outside and so come with all the traffic noise that Hanoi has to offer...why do motor bikes have to blow their horn at 3 am??? There are superior rooms that face into the hotel courtyard which would be a better option for my next stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AlwaysTravellingJuli
Dear AlwaysTravellingJuli,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

Location was nice. The hotel is not in the middle of the old quarter (so not in the middle of craziness) but close enough to walk. Service was helpful and rooms were nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JW-relaxed-traveller
Dear JW-relaxed-traveller,

Rhoose
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed in this hotel twice during our trip to Vietnam and were lucky to stay in a suite room each time. Both rooms were designed differently but we extremely well equipped and comfortable. The hotel itself is in a great location to explore Hanoi. Our problem with it was the food and drink both in quality and service. We arrived at 10:45pm after a delayed flight, tired and hungry only to be told that the restaurant and room service stops at 10:30pm and the only thing they could offer was a club sandwich. My husband does not eat meat and asked if they could make one with just the egg and veg. We were told that this was impossible. Not deterred, I ordered a sandwich and we sat in the bar area and waited whilst I observed a chap sat at the bar take a loaf of sliced bread off somewhere and came back with two plates. One plate had a single round of sandwiches which he just left on the bar whilst he continued to the end of the bar with the other plate stacked high with several rounds of sandwiches in which is proceeded to munch his way through. My solitary sandwich sat on the bar for 10 minutes until the bar tender re-appeared. This continued to be the theme on both our stays, mediocre food in the breakfast room combined with extremely slow service in the bar. Shame.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Abs64,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Hotel de l'Opera Hanoi. I am sorry that your experience at our restaurant/bar did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At M Gallery, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.