“Pearl dragon 1 cruise”
Review of Dragon Pearl Junks

Dragon Pearl Junks
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Halong Dragon Pearl Junk is a brand new Chinese wooden junk crewed by a professional, loyal and dedicated team. Spread over 3 decks she has 11 en-suite fully equipped cabins, a bar with soft seating and plasma TV, gourmet restaurant, outside dining area and sundeck Come onboard The Halong Dragon Pearl Junk . Be charmed by her exquisite luxury, intimate setting and unrivaled home from home service. An unforgettable way to witness the serene, calm setting of Halong Bay's exceptional natural beauty.
Sydney, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Pearl dragon 1 cruise”
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I agree with other reviews of Pearl dragon cruises....... With some reservations.
I think we were unlucky to have a very long bus trip to Halong Bay, 6 hours on a bus is not fun. So maybe I was a bit tired by the time I reached the boat however, I did find the "lecture" by the guide a little annoying. I did feel as though I was back in a classroom and not on part of a paid holiday. I also found the not so veiled hints about tips annoying at the start of the short stay on the boat. Most people do tip do I felt it was a bit unnecessary and off putting to mention tips so often.
The food was good and the staff did go out of their way to provide tasty things for various diets. The staff were also friendly if a little abrupt which I put down to lack of experience.

So do book Pearl Dragon cruises, the boats are comfortable, the food is fine however, do be prepared for a lengthy trip to the Bay and be certainly be prepared to tip the staff as they do hang around waiting for it. Also be prepared for a rather lengthy stop at a shop in both directions, our stop on the return journey was a far too long 45 minutes, the driver did not speak English so could not tell us the stop would be do long and boring

Visited October 2011
7 Thank Burdekin7

Beijing, China
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Amazing staff, beautiful sceneary, wonderful time!”
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I did the one night cruise on the Dragon Pearl and it was fantastic. Everything was better than we expected. Our tour guide, Zoe, was knowledgeable, kind, and patient. The food was fabulous, some of the best I had in Vietnam. My husband hates onions and requested that his entrees didn't have any, and without fail every time they brought him a special plate made just for him without onions. He felt really spoiled by the end of it. The room we stayed in was great and right at water level. Everything ran right on time. Our only complaint was that we didn't book at least two nights!

Visited October 2011
mlm2126
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Complaints, albeit minor”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

While Tommy, our tour guide, was marvelous, I have a few complaints of the Dragon Pearl Cruise. These complaints were minor but the effect was cumulative.

1) The return bus dropped me a block away from my hotel rather than at the door
2) Food was served family style without serving utensils and, as a result, people used their own dirty utensils to dish food from common dishes onto their plate. (However, this may just be Vietnamese style food service.)
3) There were not designated nonsmoking sections of the boat; acrid smoke was everywhere
4) After the complimentary food massage, the staff member, who turned out to be the ship captain, demanded a tip
5) The itinerary did not detail when drinks would be included and when they would not be included. I assumed, wrongly, that drinking water would be provided throughout the trip; however, only a small bottle was provided on the initial bus ride to Halong Bay.
6) My room was next to the engine room and smelled strongly of fuel.
7) I would have liked more activity on the trip; for instance, a longer kayaking bit. Instead, I spent hours, bored, on the top deck breathing in secondhand smoke.

I would not recommend this tour.

Visited April 2011