“A must!”

Hanoi Free Tour Guides - Private Tours
Ranked #15 of 864 Tours in Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hanoi Free Tour Guides is a social non-profit organization founded and run by a group of students and ex-students.Hanoi Free Tour Guides is aimed at propagandizing and publicly introducing the images of Vietnam, its country and people to foreigners, promoting cross-cultural communication and building up a bridge for the enhancement of international relations for the betterment of the society.HFTGs' service now is available in English, Chinese, French, Russian, Korean and Japanese. Thanks to its great contributions to the pulbic, HFTGs is now well-known as Hanoi Little Ambassadors.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Hands down the best thing we did in Hanoi, sadly, on our last day!

A big thank you to Kien Vu for showing us around and teaching us things about Hanoi that we would have never learned otherwise. Kien took us to Ho Chi Minh's residence, Mausoleum, the Genealogy museum, the Hanoi Hilton, a wonderful restaurant and then took us shopping....all for free! Even after paying for the cabs (about $1-2 each ride), buying lunch ($7 per person), and a few bottles of water, it was still one of the most cost effective and fun things we did in Hanoi. He even took us shopping and helped us bargain!

Tailor a tour, book and enjoy! It's all up to you!

3  Thank ElMatador_sf

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My friends and I did a 1/2 day tour with Kien, who was a great guide. He was incredibly kind and asked us what we thought about the places we went, getting us to think about what we were seeing. He also asked us what we were interested in so that he could tailor the tour to us. He even took us for ice cream! Also, my parents did a full tour day a few days earlier and said it was the highlight of their whole trip!

I just have 2 caveats. Online, we chose to add on the water puppet show, which I thought meant we had reserved the tickets, but we were just led to the puppet show after the tour, and the show we wanted was sold out. Luckily one had just started and we were able to get tickets. I just want to note that choosing the water puppet option simply means you will be taken there after your tour.

Additionally, we also did the free night market tour. I would not recommend this tour, as the guide simply took us to the market, walked up one side, and then down the other with us.

I highly recommend doing the 1/2 day or full day options.

2  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed February 28, 2014

My clock showed half past eight in that morning, I've had my coffee with a good breakfast. In a minute I meet my guide city tour Hanoi. Just in time appeared a nice guy named Vu Trung Kien - my private guide for the day. Kien, student of Business Administration at the University of Hanoi, intelligent man with excellent English took me to the historical sites of Hanoi. Always try to provide my natural curiosity took me at my request as Places where there are less tourists , places outside the city center. Summary: I had a great experience and I got very good service from Hanoi Free Tour Guide. Highly recommended.
This service is completely free (of course you should tip these nice ambassadors)

4  Thank Tamir M
Reviewed February 25, 2014

my friend and i had such a great time with our tour guide Duong! she spent a whole day showing us her beloved hometown with passion and pride, also, with her personal touch...the highlight of our trip is: my friend found pictures from instagram showing a stretch of hanoi railway, it is located between two rows of houses which are very close to each other, instagram only shows the hashtag as 'old hanoi'. we asked some locals and they had no idea where it is. but we really wanted to see that, because we both are fans of railway and train. when we showed the pictures to duong, she said 'oh, my grandpa lives there!" what is the possibility!!! we were really so excited....after we toured the old hanoi quarter, duong took us to that stretch of railway and also...to her grandpa's house right by the railway (like only 2 meters away!) the grandpa was so kind and nice and treated us like her granddaughter's friends...we had a very warm welcome and sat around and took some pictures of grandpa's and with grandpa and duong's little cousin. we felt like part of the family. that is the experience we are looking forward to: a local experience...

we also had an opportunity to have coffee with Thanh Cong (one of the founders of this organization) and Huong Quynh (leader of the chinese department) , they were very nice to give us time to have a casual chitchat...they also offered us lots of insights of this country and this city and this organization. the organization started with a simple mission to improve young students' language skills, but now it is painting a much bigger picture, to be hanoi's ambassadors...and they are getting there...

thanks again, duong, thanh cong and huong quynh for being such great friends!!!

VIvian

2  Thank maotouzi
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We booked our guide from the UK for our first full morning in Vietnam, in Hanoi. As booked, our lovely university student turned up at Madam Moon Guesthouse and we talked about where she was going to take us and what we wanted to see. Although we had only booked her for a morning, she immediately said she was happy to stay as long as we wanted.
She showed us how to cross the road in Hanoi (an amusing experience and one where you really do need to know the "rules"!). We walked some of the time, and some times she summoned cabs. She also told us which cabs were trustworthy which was really helpful for the rest of our trip. Her name was unpronounceable so she had a western pseudonym (obviously designed to put us at ease), I think it was Alice?
We went to the Ho Chi Minh complex first and it was interesting to see that it is still a very communist country. Lots of groups of school children, all immaculately dressed, groups of soldiers and others, all obviously finding a visit to their revered leader's mausoleum, a highlight of their lives. Alice was not convinced the "body" of chairman Ho was not in fact a mere wax effigy! Neither were we.
From there she took us to the Museum of Literature, then steered us to a typical Vietnamese lunch at New Day Inn. From there we walked thru the Old Quarter to one of the many coffee shops where you can sample some of the many varieties they have on offer.
Lastly she led us to the French quarter and into a huge shopping mall with designer brand shops and to see the Metropole Hotel which she has been told is one of the 10 best in the world and is incredibly proud of. Clearly it is not, but it was a very interesting insight into the fact that Vietnamese students do seem to still be indoctrinated with communist views and ideals and are not totally aware of the rest of the western world.
It was a charming day and one we would not have missed. It gave us a complete overview of Hanoi in the short time we could spend there.
As it turned out, it was actually our favourite place in all those we visited in Vietnam and we were very pleased to return there for our last day before flying home.
By the way, there is no charge for booking these student guides. They are happy to show off their country and practice their language skills. Of course we gave her a generous tip and sent her scurrying back to her studies as she had an exam the following day!

2  Thank hollysmum_8