“Great value and perfect for exploring”

May de Ville Old Quarter Hotel
Ranked #124 of 607 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We spent one night in Hanoi, and this hotel was perfect for what we needed. Big, clean rooms in the heart of the action. The bathroom was also very clean and of a high standard.
The hotel is in a great spot to explore Hanoi. The only downside of our hotel stay was the contruction work that started at 7am, it sounded as if our roof was going to fall in but likely we were already awake. Also the room we stayed in didn't have a window which was fine for us for one night, but if we were to stay longer than that might have annoyed us. Overall the service and location is top notch. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is visiting Hanoi.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Look no further than May DeVille Hotel Old Quarter if you want to experience life in vibrant centre of old Hanoi in a really comfortable and affordable hotel. We found the location excellent because while being in a tiny bustling street it was only a few blocks from Hoan Kiem Lake so easy to walk to other areas like museums, Opera House district etc.So provided a great base for stay in Hanoi.

We also liked it so much that we kept our room while going on expeditions to Sapa and Halong Bay - was like returning home! Sharing the cost of the room meant this was a convenient option. So in all we had our room for just over two weeks!

The pluses-

General ambience of hotel is understated yet quite charming and very clean. We liked the decor and layout in our room/bathroom - nice comfy bed with white sheets and covers, simple but pleasant wooden furniture, clean white tiled bathroom, opening windows, aircon controller in room, well cleaned with nice touches like fresh fruit daily.

Staff extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. Couldn't do enough to make our stay pleasant and responded to anything promptly like assistance with the shower head or loaning us conversion plugs.

Breakfast included was simple but fresh and more than adequate. Again staff very obliging and friendly.

We were on the fifth floor so from the windows of the room and bathroom had great views over the rooftops and down into the lane ways of Old Quarter. So maybe ask for a room with a view!

Building work was in progress (May 2013) to extend May DeVille and while we found it quite fascinating to watch progress from our window I think guests on lower floors may have found it a bit noisy! Hopefully the service level and friendliness will continue when it's a bigger hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2013

A stones throw away from Hoan Kiem lake, May de Ville offered a suitable room with amenities for our stay of three nights. Although at check in we were given a twin room instead of double bed, they moved us at short notice and were attentive in helping move luggage and room keys.

The staff were helpful when asked about the area, with suggestions on spa's and restaurants. Recommend to anyone that's looking for valuable comfort in Hanoi Old Quarter.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
maydevillehotel, General Manager at May de Ville Old Quarter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Samantha G,

You have sum up all of our key assets and I thank you for such great a feedback.

I am truly glad to hear that you have had an enjoyable experience with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

General Manager.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for two nights.
The location is great, in the middle of the old quarter.
The room was very clean, big and quiet. The stuff are very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is ok- though it's a buffet, there aren't many options but still it's fine.
Good value for your money.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank yael_11

Dear yael_11,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoy our guest room facilities and our service.

It is great that you enjoyed the service from our team which I will pass on your kind words to them as an encouragement to keep up their good work.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

What an amazing location, just steps away from the market and in the heart of the old quarter for just about everything. The hotel was lovely, staff helpful and the breakfast good. Room was really just like the photos and air-conditioner worked well. View over roofs and streets was a great way to start the trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CathJ2010

Dear CathJ2010,

I am truly glad to hear that you have had such an amazing time at the May De Ville Old Quarter.

It is a delight to hear that you enjoyed the service from the staff, room and the breakfast. Your wonderful feedback encourages us to keep on providing such high standards of service.

We look forward to welcoming you on another occasion very soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We loved staying here! Great location and such great value. For $6USD each...we were in a 6 bed dorm which was modern and comfortable, shower had hot water and each person had their own locker (bring your own lock as these are not provided). The TV lounge and pool table area was fabulous...like home away from home, something much needed in the middle of a big travel trip! The staff on the desk are very helpful and give you advice and deals on the tours...DO shop around though at the local travel agencies as we found cheaper tours and buses elsewhere. We then returned to the hotel with these prices and they gave us a better deal. Wifi is available in public areas but doesn't work in the rooms which was slightly disappointing but we didn't mind as you can sit in the lounge area and use the wifi or the lovely reception area. The breakfast which is included in the price is great. For such a low price you wouldn't expect to have breakfast included so it was an added bonus to a lovely stay. Definitely recommend this to fellow travellers. We have planned 2 extra nights here than initially planned as we've enjoyed it so much!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had stayed in several hotels in Vietnam over a 2 week period and the May de Ville Hotel had the friendliest staff I had encountered. The woman at the front desk (I should have gotten her name) in particular was very friendly and after staying there on 3 different occasions during one week, she told me that it would be sad to see me go since I was like one of the family. She also gave me some great restaurant recommendations. The rest of the staff was very nice, too.

The location was awesome-Hanoi was my first stop in Vietnam and I immediately got a taste of Hanoi as soon as I walked out the door into the Old Quarter. I was smack in the middle of the action and was within walking distance of everything in the Old Quarter, including the Hoan Kiem Lake.

The rooms were nice, however, depending on which room I was staying in, it was noisy at times. You can hear the water flow from the room above you and could hear roosters and dogs outside at times. I didn't have much of a view but didn't really care since I wasn't in the room that much anyway. The continental breakfast was included in the price so that was nice.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay there. If you want a hotel with a friendly, helpful staff with nice rooms that's within walking distance of everything in the Old Quarter, I would recommend staying at the May de Ville.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Dear Andyteach,

Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at the May De Ville Old Quarter.

I am very pleased to hear about your general satisfactory experience at our hotel and your kind words are most gratifying and have been shared with the whole team, especially for Mrs Hoa ( Flower ) - the woman at the front desk.

This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We look forward to welcoming you back.