“Glorified guest house”

May de Ville Old Quarter Hotel
Ranked #118 of 605 Hotels in Hanoi
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel has a good location if you want to be in the heart of the Old Quarter. However, it suffers from the flaws of living in a congested area. We were visited by a rodent in the room above us on our second night. The rodent was overly noisy and we contacted the frontdesk to investigate. When they couldn't solve the noise problem, I went with the bellhop to take a look. We were told we had the best room in the hotel, but when the bellhop opened the door to the room above us, I was disappointed. This room was a bit more spacious and well kept. The rodent wasn't in the room, which really left us with zero options but to put up with the noise for the night. We immediately checked out the next day. There were also signs of rodent feces on the balcony, which kept us from even setting foot on it. The first thing we saw when we checked into our room was a rodent trap. The rooms are dated and don't be fooled by the stock photos.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank williemach
maydevillehotel, Manager at May de Ville Old Quarter Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at May De Ville Old Quarter Hotel.

We sincerely regret about the overall service you received during the check-in, the breakfast.

We are very sorry that you did not experience the exemplary service you deserve.

Please accept our apologies and we hope that you will consider staying at our hotel again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We booked a premium room. The first one offered was small but we got an excellent twin bed replacement. Staff all extremely helpful. Breakfast could have been better. Kettle and coffee in bedroom - but no milk available.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure welcoming you at May De Ville Old Quarter Hotel.

I thank you for your kind feedback and your special mention of our great service of our staff.

Your comments are well noted and we will look into improving with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

This hotel is fine if its all about location for you. We found the staff to be very unhelpful and couldn't answer many of our questions. The breakfast is very poor and after our first attempt we didn't bother going back any other morning. The hot drinks and food were cold, there was a very poor selection on offer. The tables were filthy and looked like they were never cleaned. The only positive comment is that the bedrooms are large. I wouldn't recommend this hotel but if you are reading this review and you've already booked this hotel, don't worry, it is ok but if you can change your booking I would.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the May De Ville Old Quarter Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this hotel. First off, they did not pick us up at airport which we arranged for. We had to call the hotel several times, each time they promised to be there shortly. The last time we called, were told to just take taxi which was another scary experience. Our room was adequate but we had to ask for everything such as how to turn on heater which was a bit complicated, additional toilet paper (there was half a roll for 3 people). We booked several tours through front desk and every day were told wrong time of tour pick up so that one day we were too early, next day late. By the 3rd day, we decided to forget about the tour which we already paid for. Breakfast was so so. Our room was towards back of hotel so we had to use back elevator which was near kitchen and one day saw a big rat scurrying past us. Would definitely not recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank annabelle70794

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback following your recent stay at the May De Ville Old Quarter Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the pick-up service on that day, our private car broken down on the way to the airport, so that's why we did not pick you up on time, we called you to informed that you took the taxi because it's midnight.

To showed our goodwill, we gave you discounts for the tour and the pick-up service and late check-out ( free until 3pm )

Our travel consultant did informed that the right time of tour pick up ( City Tour - 9am & Hoa Lu - Tam Coc, Ha Long Bay 8 - 8.30 am )

Let us be frank, misunderstanding each other is causing many problems for us.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here just after New Years starting off our trip around Vietnam and were pleasantly surprised with the value and quality of the hotel. Having backpacked before we were both looking for a more 'posh-packing' experience this time and were not disappointed. We paid $35 a night for a superior room and were upgraded which was great. The breakfast is a pretty basic continental/Vietnamese choice of breakfast but adequate for our needs. We stayed 4 nights here (2 at the May de Ville Backpackers and 2 at the May De Ville hotel, where the mgt kindly put us up as there was a problem with our room on our return after a trip to ha long bay). Overall, I would stay here again as the staff were helpful and honest and helped us book some excellent trips to Ha Long Bay and Tam Coc both at cheaper prices than some of the 'independent' tour agents.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neila77

Dear Guest,

I am happy to hear that you have had a lovely stay at The May De Ville Old Quarter Hotel during your recent trip to Hanoi.

It was a real delight that you have enjoyed our service and character. Your satisfaction is our utmost reward.

I am looking forward to your next visit.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel as part of a tour package. The location is good. However the hotel offers nothing special, although for the rates one shouldn't expect too much. Breakfast is barely adequate and not up to the standards of a good hotel. It was adequate at best.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your lovely comment on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to hear you had a great time at the May De Ville Old Quarter Hoteli and enjoyed our guest room facilities and the services we are providing.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon, on your next visit.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed 3 nights and 4 days in Hanoi area on my way to Maldives and I searched for a cheap hotel which is located near Hoan Kiem Lake because I had to spend one night in a Halongbay cruise in the middle of my staying and I wanted to occupy the room where I left my luggage behind for those days. The first impression when I got off the car that they arranged for me from the airport is SCARE. The car drove us through crowd and unclean roads and we need to walk into dark and narrow alley where several people were sitting down and eating. I could not let my wife and daughter get into it and we had been waiting until a doorman came out and escorted(?) us. I thought I should have booked a better hotel but was too late to find another hotel. I spent a short night and left for Halongbay early in the next morning. It did not take long time to get used the atmosphere around hotel since I got back from Halongbay. That is what Vietnam is. Almost all people park their scooters or bikes on at sidewalk and sit and eat something there. Though their frown faces and messy and unclean street might make you scared but the truth is that Hanoi is one of the most secured and safest cities.
I would like to say the services that the hotel provides. Even though it is a cheap hotel, it provides you with various good services at a low price which other 5-star hotels do(concierge, laundry, airport pick-up, luggage storage, etc). And staffs are very friendly and professional. They know what services are and how to help their guests. The location is perfect but breakfast is unsanitary. I can't say I would stay at the hotel again but can say I would miss their services. I strongly recommend this hotel to back-packers who travel around Vietnam in a low budget.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family