“Go for two nights!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indochina Sails

Indochina Sails
More attraction details
Owner description: What better way to enjoy the spectacular scenery of this UNESCO World Heritage Site than on board an Indochina Sails or Valentine Junk! With over a decade of hosting international guests on the tranquil waters of Halong Bay, Indochina Sails is proud to be one of luxury cruise teams in the Halong Bay.
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Go for two nights!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

4hours drive from Hanoi ( crazy resurfacing of the roads) and we arrived onto the Indochina Sails marina, where our bags were transported to the boat and to our designated cabin. And boy what a cabin. The bathroom was huge!
The staff were helpful and the food excellent. The first day ended with a second helping of half price drinks(241) and the second day started with tai chi on the deck. We left on a smaller boat to cruise off the beaten track whilst the one dayers trogged back to port. Leisurely relaxing day finished off by a good buffet and more happy hour drinks. The final day started with a cave visit before breakfast and then back to port.
Very difficult to fault, other than grey misty, though atmospheric, weather and the floating flotsam around the bay. Brilliant excursion - but do the extra day, you won't regret it.

1 Thank Ossy-Lizzy

• Chinese (Traditional) first
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Halong Bay in style!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

What a great trip. The boat is really comfortable and the guides informative and helpful. We really enjoyed the early morning Thai chi and the lessons in fruit and vegetable carving was an added extra! Beautiful food and a great all round trip to see the dragon's teeth.

1 Thank MrsV480
Netherlands
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“I am here 30 years late...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Pick up from Hotel was perfect, tourist trap 1/2 way to Halong, what a STUPID and annoying stop !
Our cabin was nice, lunch : 7 courses ! Absolutely delicious. (would have preferred these courses at night in stead of buffet, buffet at lunch ).
All cruise ships stop at Titop, queue….

At night we moored near Surprise Caves with at least 50 other cruise ships, one ship (Golden Cruise ?) had the most disgusting light show on its boat !
Here you are at night, one of the new 7 natural wonders of the world, and some stupid cruise line puts a colored light show on its boat, like Vegas, so incredible tacky !

Our ship was comfortable. Did NOT like Spanish speaking guides who at Lunch AND Dinner time wanted to talk to their clients at the table, standing, loud !
Should NOT be allowed !

Had I known, I would have taken a DAY TRIP from Hanoi, 4 hours go, 4 hours on a cruise, 4 hours back to Hanoi.

Indochina Sails : why not find a place to dock at night ALONE or with just 2 or 3 other ships ?
Why with 50+ other cruise ships ?

Personel on board very nice, though very much hinting for tips all the time.

It's off my bucket list.

8 Thank zebra48
indochinasails_gm, General Manager at Indochina Sails, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Albert,
Firstly, I would like thank you so much for spending your time with us.
We well noted all your comments and surely try to make improvement for those things from ours. We would be much appreciate if you would understand for some objective factors that we really can not control.
Thanks for all!
Portland, OR
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Too much hype for Ha Long Bay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

Overall, it is difficult to judge this group/ boat and the actual destination.
HaLong Bay was one of those Bucket List places that I was so excited to see, and I was overall disappointed. I think the crowdedness and commercial feeling has ruined the place. I did not have blue skies, but I guess that is typical for the area. All of the boats go in the same little route, so you feel like you are on a Disney Ride instead of explorer of the area. The staff on the Indochina Boat were nice, the amenities were nice, but something felt off- like it was trying to look luxurious but it felt fake. The food on the boat was so-so. The activities felt too forced- like we were always on the go instead of just sitting and enjoying the area. I hope in the future Vietnam can find a way to preserve this area without "making beaches" creating more boats, and packing in the most tourists.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank TravelDreams
Wellington, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fabulous tour of Halong Bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

I was part of a group of 11 25-ish-year-olds who went on a one night-two day tour of Halong Bay. We were picked up in a large minibus from our hotel and taken to Halong City (there was a 30min awkward refreshment stop that was a super tourist trap). Once we were taken to the boat by tender (we laughed at always having to wear life jackets on the tenders since the rest of our trip was hardly safe) we were shown to our rooms and settled in to a big table in the dining room that was ours for the night. The activities were all really fun, my favourites being the island and caves, whereas the fishing village felt like poverty tourism and was my least favourite. The boat wasn't as big as I was expecting which was actually kind of nice - other than our group of 11 there was another 10 people. The food was delicious and the two happy hours were fun. Our crew leader, Heung (? Haung? Sorry!) was amazing and we made sure we gave him a hefty tip at the end. The only drawback I can think of is that day one was quite rushed (our sunny day) so we only got about 30mins to relax on the top deck and day two was super windy/ cold so we had to spend the time spent travelling back to port inside. Not exactly Indochina's fault. If I did it again I would go later in the year (apparently Feb/ March is beaut) so we could swim and sun and do two nights on the boat. This would also lessen the pain of the drive there and back from Hanoi, which was longer than we thought and super bumpy. Overall, a fantastic tour :)

Visited January 2014