“Awesome food on foot tour!”

Vietnam Awesome Travel
$58.00*
Private Tour: Day Tour of Mai Chau from Hanoi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Awesome Travel for Awesome Travelers, specializing in some private as well as customized tours to suit your desires and expenses. Come with us you will enjoy our local charm in Vietnam.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

Our guide Lily met us at the hotel for this amazing experience of Hanoi's old quarter. We went to over 6 tiny local eateries, and tried about 10 types of local street food. We chose the standard tour but there was nothing standard about it. A fantastic way to begin navigating the old quarter on foot and to help decipher the menus.
My fiancé and I are foodies so pretty fussy about our food, and we loved it all. The stand out for me was the banana flower salad: best I've had. The 'egg coffee' was a surprisingly tasty stop too!

Our guide Lily was the best, she explained a lot about the culture, the way the old quarter was laid out, and of course the food. She tailored the tour to what we were interested in and gave lots of great suggestions. I would recommend this for anyone wanting to get more familiar with the city and it's food. If the heat of the day in summer bothers you though, I'd go in the evening.

1  Thank Catherine C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

I can't speak highly enough of this tour! My advice a to go hungry as you will be eating a lot of food!

Trang our lovely tour guide met us promptly at 18.00 as agreed.

I am not a meat eater but do eat fish, so decided on the seafood tour which was fantastic. My partner does eat meat so there were opportunities for him to have meat alternatives so he was happy too.

The tour weaved us in and out of the old quarter, learning not only about the amazing food but the history of Hanoi and some fantastic lessons on the Vietnamese language.

Trang taught us about the preparation techniques, traditional way to eat certain foods, the freshness of the street food and got us eating things we would have been intrigued by but would have been too unsure to try if on our own (egg coffee!). Her dessert invention was delicious!

Trang was so lovely, she was friendly, patient, funny and informative. She is clearly so passionate about food and the wonderful city Hanoi, we ended up running over by a whole hour!

Don't miss this tour, it's a must do!

1  Thank LotteLou
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Our group of four friends used Awesome travel to plan our 8 day holiday in North Vietnam.Their assistance with choice of hotels and itinerary was appropriate and thoughtful.Any queries or changes to itinerary were dealt with promptly and cheerfully.All pickups and transfers were reliable and on time.The guides were young, intelligent spoke excellent English and provided an exciting and interesting account of the country's history and culture.The cost of the holiday was very reasonable as a result of dealing direct with Mr Anh of Awesome Travel.We can highly recommend this Travel Agency.

1  Thank kathryn552236
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

We had such fun on this tour with Ha (aka River) as our guide. Tried lots of tasty dishes and had snails with lemon grass, pig skin with our beer and watched Ha eat duck embryo (none of us were brave enough!). There were also plenty more conventional dishes consumed. The tour was completed with egg coffee. It was a fantastic experience that I would recommend. Ha made it much fun and it was interesting chatting with him

1  Thank MichelleandMike99
Reviewed May 9, 2014

I did this tour in early April with about 5 other people. Trang was right on time and has such a friendly and upbeat personality, I liked her right away. Her English is excellent and she points out things you’d never notice on your own (like the smallest house in Hanoi) and can teach you things about Hanoi the guidebooks don’t.

We stopped at about 7 different places. Trang is very good at reading her guests and eases you into trying different things and is patient enough to explain what is in each dish. This is especially helpful for those really fussy eaters (me being one). They can easily accommodate vegetarians as well (me also being one of those, for the most part).

I tried fried eel, banana flower salad, fried fish spring roll (rolling them yourself is not as easy as it looks!), milk fruit, pho, and a few other dishes I don’t recall the names of. I didn’t have anything I really did not like. The egg coffee at the end – fantastic!!!

I highly recommend this tour and this group!