“Ask for tour guide 'Ha'”

Vietnam Awesome Travel
$22.00*
Hanoi Old Quarter Half-Day Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Awesome Travel for Awesome Travelers, specializing in some private as well as customized tours to suit your desires and expenses. Come with us you will enjoy our local charm in Vietnam.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Auckland, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Ask for tour guide 'Ha'”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We did the half day street food tour (lunchtime version) and it was amazing! Our tour guide Ha was fantastic!!!! He took us to places we would never have gone to and gave us handy tips along the way. Try the egg with coffee!! Best coffee ever!! If you only have a few days in Hanoi be sure to do this tour and try to get on one with tour guide Ha.

1 Thank Dan007_11

• Thai first
Wellington, New Zealand
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Hooked on Hanoi's amazing street vendor food”
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Thanks to our friendly and knowledgeable food guide Ha, six strangers to Hanoi city were introduced to the best street food and beers Hanoi has to offer. Walking the vibrant paths of the old city, stopping at random stalls, being introduced to owners, traditions and food, this tour should not be missed.
We had been trying the food ourselves for a few days but had been diffident, all is now changed as we were introduced to the etiquette and choices of dining on the streets of exotic Hanoi.
Well priced, great experience.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Every person visiting Hanoi should do this food tour.”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I can't remember the last time I felt so strongly about something I was reviewing on trip advisor. We arrived in Hanoi the first night and by the time we reached our hotel the first night, located in the Old Quarter, were completed overwhelmed by the sheer chaos of Hanoi in general, and the Old Quarter in particular. We love vietnamese cuisine, but found the Old Quarter's food scene impossible to navigate on our own. On our first full night, we did the evening food tour with Vietnam Awesome Travel. Our guide, Trang was FANTASTIC. She was knowledgeable, spoke great english, and truly exceeded my expectations in every way. I loved every one of the 8 places she took us varying from noodle dishes to local beer. It was a great introduction to Vietnamese food and Hanoi. What you get for the cheap cost of the tour is seriously a steal. Do not go to Hanoi without doing this tour. Even if you do not usually enjoy guided tours (I almost always feel this way) this food tour is truly an exception.
Side notes:
- because there is a lot of walking, I was really happy we scheduled our tour for the evening, when it was cooler (we were there in August)
-when we emailed about scheduling a tour, they emailed us back immediately.
-We asked if we could pay more to do a private tour (most of the tours they offer accommodate up to 8 people) and they were able to arrange one for us at an only slightly more expensive price ($30 a head vs $25).

Best tour I've ever done. The highest of recommendations.

4 Thank serendipity789
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Food Tour”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I did both the Sunday Morning 1$ tour as well as the evening food tour on the same day and they were both wonderful. Anh picked me up directly from my hotel lobby and our tiny group proceeded to wander the empty (but slowly awakening) streets of Hanoi. Anh took us around to various locations, including a stop at St. Joseph's Cathedral and a walk around Hoan Kiem Lake (where everyone had come to exercise, very cool). The foods ranged in their strangeness (to me at least) but overall was very nice as they weren't from a tourist trap, but rather authentic local restaurants and stores. We ended the tour in a beautiful and quiet cafe where we had great coffee (mine was a hot coffee with egg creme, highly recommend).

For the evening tour, I first went to see the water puppet theatre, which was nice. After, I met w/ another guide, who was the friendliest person I've ever met. All the food (and there was a lot, so pace yourselves) was great, and we went to the whole range from street food to fancy sitdown restaurants. Overall, it was a fantastic tour, definitely worth the money, and the guides are fantastic and kind.

3 Thank 4nr
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Absolutely Awesome Tour - Loved Food on Foot”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We attended this pre-arranged tour the first night of our time in Hanoi after a long flight. We were met by the friendly and enthusiastic Ha in the Metropole Hotel Lobby. Within minutes of meeting him we knew we'd love him and his tour. He explained we were going to meet another couple and we jumped in a cab to meet the other couple from the Phillipines.

Our journey then started. Ha explained the food sights along the way as well as pointed other little titbits of information. Our first stop was on a corner where a lady was cooking what looked like an egg omelette. Ha asked us if we wanted to try duck eggs. I was not keen (I am a simple eater), and the other couple said they eat them all the time so hubby tried it. Ha did not push me to try something I was not comfortable with. Hubby said it was nice. Off we then went to our next destination.

We ended up eating on tiny plastic stools on the side of the road over a hot plate. We also ate the best spring rolls ever that were cooked by the road and then delivered to the local restaurant we were going to eat at. Ha selected a few dishes we thought we'd like and OMG I absolutely loved the Banana Flower Salad. I loved it so much we went back to this restaurant on our own and had it again. All food was included in the tour but if you went there yourself you'd be paying $3 to $5 for a main course. Drinks were included too.

We stopped along the way for little bits and pieces of food here and there, including a lovely sugar cane drink. We'd often stop to see what someone was preparing and Ha would explain what it was and how one ate it.

The night ended with some local creamy coffees which everyone agreed were pure bliss.

The tour was due to go 3 hours but ours went over 3 and a half hours. Ha showed us the way home to our respective hotels.

I was so thrilled with this tour. It gave us confidence to journey out on our own and eat like locals. We sought out food that we had eaten as we liked it so much. We even went back to one restaurant as we loved the food so much.

I would recommend this tour to anyone interested in food or just interested in getting to know your way around Hanoi. The food was not pushed on you. Everyone ate everything, except me. I get a sore tum easily from foods at home so didn't want to eat absolutely everything in site in case I did get sick. There was so much food that my husband and the other couple said they were so full and felt like rolling home!

The dealings with this company were very professional from the start. They answered my emails quickly and I was delighted with the service given prior to the tour, on the tour, and after the tour.

Everyone.. do this tour. Don't miss it!!!

Visited July 2013