“Food on foot”

and up
Hanoi Old Quarter Half-Day Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Awesome Travel for Awesome Travelers, specializing in some private as well as customized tours to suit your desires and expenses. Come with us you will enjoy our local charm in Vietnam.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Melbourne, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Food on foot”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Four of us did Food on Foot tour with a gorgeous girl last week. She had a great sense of humour and took us to great street food. We tasted food we would never had touched otherwise going to family food stands and eating like the locals eat. We even had eel soup which was delicious. She explained different customs to us and how the food is cooked and how the families live. We thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend this to anyone coming to Hanoi. Great value for money and fun.

1 Thank MelbourneCazzie

• Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“Highlight of time in Hanoi”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is one of the most awesome thing you can do in Hanoi. I didnt know waking up at 5am on Sunday morning would be worth it. But i am glad i did. We were a small group and Mr Anh took us around Old Quarters. We got a chance to look at life of an average Hanoi resident. More was to come. One of the best experiences was seeing thousands of people doing tai chi or group exercise on banks of Hoan Kiem lake. Went for breakfast then - vietnamese style. Sticky rice (our group gladly agreed to my choice of vegetarian food). Thanks all!

Knoxville, TN
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Ha Long Bay day tour with not so Awesone Travel”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

First, let me clarify this is a review of the tour operator, not the attraction. Ha Long Bay was very nice, if not so worthy of the hype.

Awesome Tours overbooked for the day we went to Ha Long Bay, overfilling our small-ish bus for the 3.5 hour trip to and 3.5 hour trip back (7 hours round-trip in the bus). The tour guide apologized for making some passengers sit in the tiny fold-down seats in the aisle and squat in a "seat" next to the door. Not only did they do the same thing on the way back, they picked up extra people on the road from another tour. It was a very long, unpleasant time, with minimal AC.

Service on the tour - bring your own water. You are given one small bottle while on the bus. For the rest of the day you will have to purchase your own and any other drinks on the boat and in other highly overpriced tourist sales areas ($1 per small water, $2 per beer was typical). The lunch on our tour boat was good and the cruise in the bay itself very nice. The crush of people in the fishing village and cave stops were unpleasant, though.

The guide did his best and knew that we were uncomfortable and unhappy for most of the day. I blame the tour operation management for overbooking and showing little consideration for their clients.

3 Thank Tom_and_Consuelo
VjetnamAwesomeTravel, Owner at Vietnam Awesome Travel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Mr Tom Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback with Awesome Travel, I appreciated it so much. Since it helps us to improve our services better in the forthcoming time.

Firstly I really apologize to you because of bus problem, but I would like to explain something to you as below,

You know that you did our joining group tour should be from 15 to 22 guests on tour, so we are providing 29 seats bus, but we can use 22 main seats and left 7 extra seats.

However, some other travel agents really wanted their clients can go to Halong bay with the same day. Because they knew that the typhoon will come Halong next days, therefore their clients could not do, it is a reason why it was overbooked and busy too.

My website said that it will take around 7 hours for around trip and group size, so I also suggested all clients should visit Halong bay with 2 days is better than 1 day (it is a travel tip)

More details at: http://vietnamawesometravel.com/travel-9166/halong-bay-cruise-1day-30/

We also said very clearly that our package price is included: mini bus, tour guide, entrance fees, boat, lunch.

- Excluded: personal expenses, drinks, tips for any good services (your appreciation), so it does not include water is right.

Drinks on boat cost with 1 or 2 USD is common prices in Vietnam, because tourist services such as hotels, restaurants, boat, transportation. For locals, we are happy to pay for there prices too,

One thing you should know that our tour does not include any tips for crew staffs, so it is little extra for them.

About myself, I am owner of Awesome Travel, quickly I informed this problem to our business partner who organize this trip, so we would like to provide a free tour or refund to you, because it is not good as your desires.

I have already contacted with a few times to ask a refund to you, but I did not have a reply, if you get this response. Please let have your email or contact number.

I am always in charged of our business, so I want to make sure that you will feel better in that trip and happy with our commitment.

Please understand our difficulty of group joining tour and this situation. Let me have a good chance to serve you again, definitely that you can be satisfied with our provided services.

Looking forward to welcoming you back next time.

Thanks & best regards,

Mr Einstein
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Ba Be Lake, North East Vietnam”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

From Hanoi we had a customised 8 days trip to the North East of Vietnam.
On day 1 we took 8 long hours of car ride on 270km from Hanoi to Ba Be Lake.It is one of the most beautiful lake in Vietnam. Very serene and remote.But not easy to get there
There were no high ways but narrow, bumpy roads with several pot holes. Due to land slide and the typoon, road condition were really bad. It's like being on a roller coaster and bone shaker for 8 long hours. There were not many stops on the way as there were not many convenient stops for toilets or food.
Reaching the lake was a relief. We stayed at a home stay, wooden house by the lake.Its a beautiful lake very peaceful. This is the Tay Village a minority village.
Villages were friendly even though they can't speak English. Our host could speak good english. We see dogs , pigs, chicken , ducks wondering around. Its a nice feeling of freedom. They cook nice and simple food for us.
We slept on the floor with a thin mattress. It was very, vary basic. But we have hot water shower and proper toilet facilities.
The next day we had a 4hours boat ride round the 3 lakes and visited a cave.

Singapore
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fantastic tour!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

First off, the booking process was stress-free. I had corresponded with Mr Anh, the founder of Awesome. His replies were always very prompt, and he was very patient answering my gazillion questions, especially because I wanted a slightly customised Food Tour.

For the food tour in the evening, our guide was Ha. He was very friendly and started off by checking what food allergies and preferences we had. We threw him a list of Vietnamese food we wanted to try and he was very accomodating. We started with a cyclo ride, which was an interesting introduction to the crazy traffic of Hanoi. The ride ended at Awesome's office, where we got a chance to meet Mr Anh and his awesome team of tour guides. They were all very friendly; they even offered us rice wine and sweet Vietnamese fruits. We can't hold our alcohol well which was a real shame because the rice wine was awesome.

Ha brought us to try loads of food and we were stuffed at the end of the tour despite sharing the portions of food at each place. Yet when I said I wanted to try the sticky rice, Ha thoughtfully had it packed in a box so that we could eat it back at our hotel for supper. We also had rice wine fermented in a coconut, which was like the Vietnamese version of a Malibu. I really regretted not being able to hold my alcohol! We also had a chance to visit a local family for a peek into the local lifestyle.

While it was all street food, it was all safe. I had even asked Ha if it was ok and he reassured me that the tour has been running for a year and the eating places are all safe.

Throughout the whole tour, Ha was always obliging and frequently offered to help us take photos and ensuring we get the best shots of the food. He also shared with us the history of Hanoi and Vietnam and even told us about his family. He felt more like a friend than a guide!

We were all really pleased with the Food Tour and with Ha. In fact, I'm posting this twice to ensure they get the credit they deserved!

Visited July 2013