“Middle of Nowhere”

Ranked #83 of 591 Hotels in Hanoi
Shanghai
“Middle of Nowhere”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel is in a suburb far from downtown tourist areas and CBD. Convention center is close though (about 1 KM away), which is why I chose it. Not much immediately outside the hotel - no restaurants or massage places really. That said, taxis are inexpensive and plentiful so easy to go somewhere else and the concierge was knowledgable and helpful with great recommendations.

Airport is about 45 minutes to an hour a way depending on traffic -410k dong one way.

Gym is quite good with treadmills, weight machines and some free weights. Gym was never crowded despite the convention in town. Outdoor pool available but didn't use it.

Breakfast spread was excellent with wide variety of foods - East Asian, South Asian, Western, etc. Was able to get a capuchino for breakfast (not always feasible in Asia). Ate dinner there once though and wasn't impressed. Wasn't bad but nothing to write home about either. Went to a nearby restaurant (15 minute cab ride - came out to USD $5) and was much happier.

Service was friendly. English language capability was acceptable. Hotel clean and very well maintained. Maid service did an excellent job.

Sleep quality was poor though due to thin walls and door between rooms. I'm a light sleeper so I could hear everything going on next door. Just talking or flicking a light switch next door was audible in my room. Finally was able to get some ear plugs and was able to sleep fine afterwards.

Other downside (at least in my room) was the shower head. Only had the rain shower type so made it hard to clean extremeties. Women with long hair would presumably not like it either because can't just shower and skip washing your hair. The water comes down hard from the ceiling. Don't think a shower cap would work (although I haven't tried). Presumably no females on the design staff for this hotel.

So, would I stay here again? Probably not. Mainly because of location. I like to be where the action is or at least where there are more facilities close by. This might change as the area develops but perhaps not because there is a sports complex adjacent - thereby limiting residential or commercial possibilities.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing rear to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear LiangShanBo,

Thank you for your stay with us at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi. We would also like to say thank you for taking time to post this review on TripAdvisor. All comments are valued and appreciated.

We will pass your comments to our management team for appropriate actions so that we can do our utmost to provide great service to all guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Warm regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We were a big group of Golfers staying there for a golf tournament and this hotel was very well organised. Great reception, breakfast rooms and located in a open locality with a few options to eat outside too. The breakfast in particular was a great spread to suite to most tastes. Good for conventions large groups and functions. The Spa is special too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jaytee62,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi recently. We are really glad to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. We will continue to do our best to bring the satisfaction to all of our guests.

We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel soon. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you need further assistance.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

At the end of day, its all about how you try to listen and willing to assist the customer.
I was pretty much surprise their platinum member recognition (Seriously better than InterCon Hanoi' ambassador recognition!) and treatment!
I stayed twice this month ( Oct 2013) and both stays are wonderful.
With reasonable rate and service like this, I definitely can recommend.
Minor points are the location and some rooms are smoking smell even though non-smoking room.
And also, lotus spa also nice to try.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear JJ012,

Thank you very much for your recent stays at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi and your precious time writing this great comment.

We are very proud that you enjoyed your experience. We believe that we will continue to deliver even better services to all our guests.

Shanghai
Reviewed October 4, 2013

SUMMARY
I have stayed at Crowne Plaza and InterConti properties all over Asia Pacific and they are, without fail, an amazing brand that rarely gets it wrong. I have also had the fortune of visiting several competitors such as Shangri-la, Le Meridien, Hilton, Victoria, Hyatt, and Marriott, so have a bit of a wheelbase from where to judge this stay at the CP in Hanoi. It is precisely because of very good experiences at other CP and InterContis that we chose this one for our stay as we were in transit and required a hotel room just for one night.

THE GOOD
- Staff: The staff was super friendly and dealt with all the self-inflicted problems brilliantly and professionally.
- Restaurant: Great for both dinner and breakfast. Because we were here for only one night, we ordered Vietnamese dishes which were excellent judging by our prior visits to Vietnam.
- Rooms: The rooms were modern, clean, and nicely appointed. Exactly what you would expect from CP.

THE BAD
- Airport Pickup: I had arranged for an airport pickup but when we arrived, there was no one waiting for us. I called the hotel and they had no record of an airport pickup (even though I later showed them their own e-mail confirmation). We took a taxi van from the airport and the driver did not have a clue where the hotel was. He had to stop a few times to ask for directions. Then he smoked a cigarette which took another five minutes. Finally, when we arrived I had to overpay for the transportation because the taxi had 9 seats even though we had really only needed 4. And the hotel was of no help.
- Check-In: The hotel had no record of our reservation. To their credit, they immediately took us up to the club floor probably because they were expecting it to be a lengthy check-in. The manager who was handling out check-in was sweet (probably the damage control director) but it wasn't until we had handed over our passports that they found our reservation. As we had been brought up to the Club Lounge, I expected that they would upgrade us to this floor particularly in light of their mistakes. The nice lady even complimented me on being a gold status rewards member and soon-to-be platinum member. In fact, I have been upgraded to the club floor on numerous occasions. But no, here in Hanoi they felt is necessary to show me what they could have done to apologize but instead proceeded to check me into a normal room despite a long half-hour check-in and no airport pickup. Further, the nice lady gave us free Internet access. But this was because I had to retrieve the e-mail confirmation for my airport pickup from my personal e-mail account so they didn't really have a choice. It took me a long time to find the e-mail because I had to get through both my own and the hotel's firewall. The nice lady asked me several times for the e-mail and it felt as if she was insinuating that I was making the whole thing up.
- Dinner: As already mentioned, the food and restaurant were excellent. But after I signed the bill, I was asked to stay behind because the hotel again had no record of my family's stay at the hotel and our rooms were shown as unoccupied on the restaurant's computer system (90 min after check-in). Very embarrassing to being held and effectively being accused of writing down a false room number which is the same thing as stealing. After calling around for a few minutes, they finally determined that I was not trying to steal and they allowed me to join my family in our rooms.
- Check-Out: I had booked the hotel through a travel agent and the bill was pre-paid. At check-out, the hotel asked me to pay for the rooms again and insisted that I had not paid yet. It was only after I showed them the receipt that they started making more phone calls. This took about 10 minutes but they finally established they were wrong all along. It is very uncomfortable waiting when you are on your way to the airport but are being held up over something that should never have been a problem in the first place. But at least this time the hotel transfer was on time.

FINALLY
Next time, I will go to a different hotel. If it had not been for the continuous problems that were of the hotel's own creation, I would have rated this as 4 or even 5 stars. But at every touch point with the customer, there was a problem. For Crowne Plaza, this is unusual and a first for me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DHWShanghai
Dear DHWShanghai,

We would like to show our sympathy with the problem you encountered during your stay. We will pass your comments to service team so that we can do our utmost to provide great service to all guests.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Warm regards,
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Great hotel; staff with fantastic English skills and well appointed rooms made this hotel very pleasant to stay at.

Make sure you are not staying here if you need to be in the CBD (Hoan Kiem District) as it is a bit far. I was on business in the area and by far the best place to stay!

Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BM Raffael S
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear BM Raffael S,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi and your precious time writing this comment.

We are very glad to hear that you had a great experience with us. We promise to try even harder to provide best in class services to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel at soonest.

Best Regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The staff greeted us very well during our stay and was also very friendly. The breakfast has wide range of good food to choose from.

The hotel is also maintained in a very well way, just to say excellent value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
crowneplazahanoi, Manager at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Sanjaykm,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Crowne Plaza West Hanoi and your precious time posting this review. We are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We will continue to do our best to provide better services to create a Great Hotel Guests Love.

Look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

Providence RI
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was a very comfortable, attractive and modern hotel that seems to cater to business travelers from everywhere and tourists from Asia. The staff all seemed very young, but worked very hard to please. Most of them had passable to excellent English skills, and were very helpful in getting me a cab every day. I really needed a cab every day - the location is pretty far away from the center of Hanoi, where I was doing business. A high point was the breakfast buffet - so much food, and such a wide variety! Lots of Asian and Western choices, the freshest fruit, good coffee. If you like to walk from your hotel to the center of the action when you travel, this is not the hotel for you. Hanoi's Old Town is a $20 cab ride away. But for my purposes, as a business traveler, it was a very pleasant and comfortable place to return at the end of a long day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Providence_Artist,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us and also for posting this nice review on Tripadvisor. It's great to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. We will share your comment with our services team so they can keep up the great work to please our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future.

With best regards,