“Very good room, great staff”

Royal Palace Hotel Hanoi
Ranked #80 of 588 Hanoi B&B and Inns
Hanoi
“Very good room, great staff”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hotel is in a bit of an edgy location, but quite safe, and within waliking distance of everything in the Old Quarter. Hotel itself is very acceptable, and our deluxe room was large and comfortable, with a King-sized bed. Good value for the money. Staff is consistently friendly and extremely helpful. The Manager, Mr Huy, has excellent English, and was very helpful in making tour, travel and other accommodation arrangements. He suggested changes to our original plans to avoid inclement weather and the closures associated with the Chinese New Year. Any commissions that the hotel receives as a travel agency were well-earned, and saved us significant aggravation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anton E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed February 6, 2013

The staff were so nice and made us feel very welcome! We got all the help and service we needed before and after arrival. We had a good dialouge through mail. The staff arranged both a pick up from the airport and booked our trip to Halong Bay. Mr Hue escpecially was very helpful and indeed serviceminded. He help us with several practical issues during our stay. Because of him and the rest of the staff it was always very nice to return to the hotel!

Initially we booked two rooms for four nights when arriving in Hanoi. Because of the nice accomodations and the wonderful staff we decided to book the same hotel also for the other two nights on our return from Halong Bay and afterwards when returning from Hoi An on our way back to Bangkok. Again they arranged safe and comfortable pick up at the airport based on mail during our stay in Hoi An.

The rooms were all very clean and comfortable. Since we were staying in three different occasions we got to try several rooms. We liked the junior suite the best because of the balcony and the big window (even if it was a bit cold the last time we were there with only some 10 degrees outside!!) The last time we returned it was nearly like coming home!
The location of the hotel was wonderful. We were in a walking distance for everything, the old quarter, the lake, lots of restaurants and also the war museum and the Ho Chi Min mausolee.
We would really like to come back to this hotel whenever in Hanoi again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Britt R
Jersey,
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Palace Hotel whilst on a stopover to Australia and found it to be excellent and will return again in two weeks time when I fly back to the UK.
The room was spacious and clean and very quiet considering its central location to the busy old quarter. Having a personal computer in the room was an unusual and much appreciated bonus. Reception staff were friendly and helpful and let me check in earlier than advertised.
Breakfast is very good for the price and I can definately recommend this hotel for anyone wanting a reasonably priced hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jenny L
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I will say that the hotel itself seems to have gone down a level, from what I remember from my visit last March. The bathroom towels were worn/old, and the shower didn't drain properly.

I do want to state that Huy, the front desk manager, went above and beyond the normal service, as he assisted my brother and I with various reservations/suggestions...

Don't miss the Hanoi Social Club restaurant, just 3 doors away, for various scrumptious dishes, unreal muesli, and wonderful coffees/teas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Globaldiscover
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Right after we made our booking, we have arranged our airport private car pickup. When we arrived, we were greeted with a welcoming drinks and nice watermelon. Something most hotel are missing nowadays.

The hotel manager took me to view the rooms available before checking in. I decided to upgrade my room to the one that is facing the street. Since the hotel has an elevator (beware that some hotel does not), so I picked the top floor and it was quiet and peaceful. This made you relax after hearing the beep beep and honking in the streets of Hanoi. If you are not comparing this hotel with other 4 to 5 stars hotel, I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more quiet. Since elevator is available, so don't worrry.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Genuinely nice and helpful staff. The hotel manager literally sleeps behind the reception and seems to be there 24 hrs.
When I arrived they told me they were overbooked, and they wanted to transfer me to another hotel. As I had a valid booking with booking.com, I insisted on a room and finally got one. Overbooking seems to be a general issue with Vietnamese hotels, bear this in mind when you arrive late and just want your room and sleep. Breakfast was average at best. Did not like the "kitchen" or lets just call it the corner where the food was prepared as it did not look too hygienic. The pancake, however, was OK!
Free wifi.
A bit of street noise, but nothing major.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tomf J
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This B&B is clean, basic and friendly. It provided all necessary needs. Having access to a computer and free wifi was great. Breakfast always had some fresh fruit, fresh juice and a cooked breakfast, quite greasy for me but toast and fruit was plenty. I was picked up from the airport and driven through the overwhelmingly busy/crazy/scary highway and streets of Hanoi. Most people use this hotel as a base so they can take overnight trips or a few days away somewhere else. Take the other trips. You can see and do all you can in the old quater in a day and a half. It is scary to walk amongst the streets because of the scooter drivers, there is no traffic courtesy a red light means nothing. The location of the hotel in the Old Quater makes it walking distance to several tourist attractions but I found walking anywhere overwhelming.
I went to Cambodia for a few days and the hotel arranged for a taxi to pick me up on my return flight at 10.30pm. When I arrived at the airport, the drivers was not there. I waited and he never arrived. I ended up taking an airport taxi. I was told it would be 300,00 and was asked for 500,000 after arriving in the Old Quater. The driver wouldn't take me to my hotel until I gave him more money, which i didn't have. He tried to grab my purse and was screaming at me. I got out and ran away. I had no idea where i was and it was after 1.30pm when i found the hotel, with front doors padlocked and all lights off. Once let in, I asked where my taxi was and was told he got there at 9 pm and couldn't wait until after 10pm so he left.

I travel by myself frequently and this experience was the most unsafe I have ever felt. The hotel needs to use reliable driving services to avoid this kind of situation. It really put a negative feel on my trip and I'll never go back to Hanoi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo