“WOW!!!!!”

Ranked #30 of 581 Hotels in Hanoi
Sarawak, Malaysia
“WOW!!!!!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Our family flew in from Kuala Lumpur to Hanoi. In KL, we stayed at the Pan Pacific KLIA. Let me tell you that the service of the 5 star PanPac absolutely cannot measure up to the service at Hotel Charming 2 in Hanoi. Both services were efficient.

In PanPac, it was cool, detached and aloof. In Charming 2, it was warm, happy, enthusiastic and sincere. Mary, Sophie, Linda, David, Vi, Johnny and company - when you ask them for anything, you just feel that they are not only happy to oblige, they give you the sense that nothing is too much to ask for.

Our trip was pretty much last minute bookings. When I contacted IndoChina Junk to book a 2 night cruise for the period from 14 to 19 December [I told them any 2 nights would do], I was informed by email that all their junks were fully booked and they could only offer 1 night.

I then contacted Charming 2's manager, Johnny, and within 12 hours, he was able to reply with a booking for 2 nights on Dragon's Pearl 1 with IndoChina! Now, how good is that!

Charming 2 provided us with free airport pick up in an airconditioned 7 seater van as we are staying for more than 3 nights. Getting the airport pick up is a good idea after reading all those stories of high pressure from cabbies at the airport, this being our first trip to Hanoi.

The hotel is centrally located in the Old Quarters. We took a family room on the 3rd floor. The room is spacious. There is a bit of road traffic noise in the morning but that is very much a part of Hanoi and you get used to it after a while. The room has a balcony which overlooks the street which is nice. The aircon is cool and the shower is hot and strong.

The room even has its own in-room personal computer for you to surf the net. Now, how good is that. Even the 5 star hotels in KL do not have that.

The room fridge is stocked with a plentiful supply of bottled water, big and small, as well as beer and sodas. Here's the best part - the prices of the drinks in the room's bar fridge is cheaper than the prices in the coffee shops in town, unlike hotels all over the world where the room drinks are usually twice or 3 times outside prices. So, don't bother going out to buy water from nearby mini markets.

Here's something else different from most hotels' buffet breakfast. We have had breakfast here 3 mornings and the dishes offered have changed each morning. They also offer hot pho, the famous Hanoi rice noodle soup.

When we went off for 2 nights to Halong Bay, we borrowed a pair of slippers and a bottle opener from the room and forgot to tell them. They never even mentioned it when we checked back in on our return from Halong Bay. Contrast this with PanPac KLIA where I called room service to borrow a bottle opener. The guy who delivered it refused to leave it with me [no doubt afraid that I'd nick off with the $1 opener, even though I was staying in the suite there], and he stood there and made me open all 3 bottles of beer at one go. I will have something to say about this when I review the PanPac.

The Charming 2 is not a 5 star big hotel. It is a boutique hotel. It is small, warm, friendly and if you are in a strange city and you want to feel really at home with people who would do their darnest to accommodate your every wishes, Charming 2 is the one for you. Would I recommend it? Absolutely! If I return to Hanoi, would I stay here again? Absolutely!

Room Tip: Pick rooms with balcony. Higher floors will be quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank George313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at the Hanoi Charming 2 hotel for 2 nights on 1st and 2nd Dec 2012. We really enjoyed our stay there. The location of the hotel is really central allowing us to explore Hanoi on foot whilst we were there. The room was clean and had everything we needed - including a really big bed! The breakfast was also good, offering lots of different choices. The best thing about this hotel though were the staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, especially Mary who worked at reception. It felt like nothing was too much trouble for her.
After we left the hotel, we travelled to Halong Bay for a 2 night boat trip. The hotel were happy for us to leave out luggage there whilst we were away and when we returned to collect our luggage, they offered us the use of a room to have a shower and get ready for our onward journey. I would definately recommend this hotel if you are travelling to Hanoi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Returned back from Vietnam a week ago and I was lucky enough to have stayed in Charming II Hotel whilst in Hanoi. The overall experience was great with hotel staff being very friendly and happy to help, clean rooms, free wi-fi and breakfast. The hotel is in a great location and close to everything and staff have maps on hand with some of the best attractions and will gladly hail a taxi and send you on your way (if unable to walk). Linda, Mary, Sophie, Johnny and the whole crew were great to talk to and were there to give you the best service all day, everyday and to make you feel very comfortable. At one stage I had to go to a doctor due to illness, Linda and the crew got me into an english speaking hospital in a matter of 30 minutes. Best hotel I stayed in while on my trip and best service i've ever received. Cheers Charming II Hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

These guys know how to do it right! All the reviews you read on Tripadvisor (apart from a few where I feel the reviewer is one of these "impossible to please" types) rave about the service at this hotel and they are right to! Just amazing service and delivered with a smile from absolutely all the staff from the guys who rush to open the door for you, to the incredible reception staff and all the way to the cleaners! And these are not the fake smiles you get for 5 seconds at the expensive hotels - no, these are genuine and friendly from some of the nicest folk you'll meet in Vietnam. The hotel is perfectly positioned in a relatively quiet street in the Old Quarter but near to all the sights you'll want to see in this part of Hanoi and some good restaurants too. It's very clean and neutrally decorated and the rooms have good computers so you can file your photos as well as send emails back home. It really is a home away from home where everyone remembers your name and goes out of their way to help you enjoy your time in the city. They look out for your interests too, and when I was about to be ripped off by a local taxi one of the reception staff came out to the street and skillfully persuaded him to lower his price! In the end it was hard to leave this safe haven but I'll always remember it fondly. My thanks to all the staff but especially the wonderful Mary, Sophie and Johnnie.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Hanoi Charming Hotel was by far the best hotel we stayed at in Vietnam, due to its excellent service, clean comfortable rooms, fantastic location and friendly staff. The staff helped us plan large portions of our trip quickly and effectively which was extremely helpful as this was our first independent trip overseas and were always happy to assist with directions and recommendations. The rooms were clean, spacious and excellent value while the breakfast was delicious. It was really sad to have to say goodbye at the end of our stay and I will definitely stay there if I return to Vietnam. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: The rooms with the balconies are nicest as the street views are great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New Zealand
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This hotel is superb!
From the airport pick up, to the check out, it was nothing less than sublime.
Location is fab, right in the Old Quarter amongst the action, but quiet at night to have a good sleep. The decor is done just right, from the lobby, rooms and the bathroom.
Breakfast is fantastic, everything you could ask for. Fresh and unlimited. I had a hankering for the tasty mangoes, which they had run out of, but they ran and got me a whole one, beautifully sliced too.
The staff are what sets this place apart.
Thanks to Kate, Mary, Sophie and of course the lovely Linda, you girls are legends!
Highly recommend staying in this hotel, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Hotel Charming II, you are just that!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JaniceRoz
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I should have written earlier but didn't. We just stayed at a crappy 5-star resort in Krabi and it just made me want to rush home and write about how wonderful Chaming 2 was. We arrived in August, feeling quite unsure of what to expect and we left in tears because it was so difficult to say goodbye. Mary, Sophie and gang made us feel like family.

Coming from a Southeast Asian country as well, I was quite unprepared for how different the people of Hanoi were. It made me interested in reading about their history to figure out why they were so closed off! But that was never the case at Charming 2. In that sense, this team really carried out their work with the utmost sense of professionalism and dedication... To obliterate that perception every time I stepped through its doors.

Charming 2's location is pretty good... Just walking distance from the best phó in town and also the best 'bun cha' ever!! It's a bit of a walk to the lake but that thing is overrated!! The entrance faces a
The side of an old, run down temple so you don't walk out looking at yet another shop but just a little stall, an old yellow stone wall and a gorgeous tree in its compound. Okay... I'm exaggerating when I say gorgeous but it has character.

The rooms are very good and my kids loved running downstairs to fetch new DVDs to watch when we hid from the heat during the early afternoons. The porter had previously worked in my hometown and spoke perfect Malay. Breakfast was okay for the price you pay.

I really miss you, Charming 2!

Room Tip: Get the large family suites... It's a few more dollars but you get the front balcony view and th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family