2,462 results
All reviews halong bay old quarter fresh fruit rooms were very clean mary tours heart asia
Reviewed March 26, 2011

The staff is terrific, buffet breakfast has new offerings daily.
This new hotel, sister to Charmin is superb . We were originally booked into Charming but they were full so we were offered Charming 2. This hotel is a 3 star but seems more like a 5!
we own an upscale b&b in the US and are quite picky.
charming 2 has a staff to die for, rooms that are great and centrally located.
Can not say enough for this aptly named hotel.

Reviewed March 24, 2011

Located in the central part of the old Quarter in easy walking distance of Hanoi station and Hoan Kiem Lake, this small hotel has been newly renovated and we were told only opened for business two months before our visit.
The manager is very attentive and most of the staff are younger people, very keen to impress and assist their clients.
The rate of $US35 (including a substantial buffet breakfast) is excellent value and we believe very competitive with similar hotels in central Hanoi.
While our room was a little small to accommodate the new double bed, desk with computer, TV and associated furniture, the room and bathroom were spotless and all fittings worked well. The bath robes were a nice touch and totally unexpected.
The hotel has a lift and there is a safe for valuables in the room.

Reviewed March 21, 2011

I have been traveling to Hanoi for the last 18 months. I've had the chance to stay at some of the nicest, internationally operated 5 star hotels like the Sofitel Plaza, and some of the nicest 4-5 star hotels like the Fortuna... but my experience at the Hanoi Charming Hotel has to be my most memorable and... sweet... experience so far. The staff makes all the difference! From the moment I arrived I was treated with kindness, respect and a helpful attitude. While in so many ways this describes my experience in Vietnam all together, it was taken to the next level at the Charming. During my second 3 night stay (yes, I am already a repeat patron), the staff found out I wanted to learn to cook Vietnamese food; they went to the market and brought everything back for a feast and let me help in the kitchen. The spring rolls were amazing, as was the company of my new Australian friends who were staying at the Charming and joined in the festivities; but the best part of all was the owner's willingness to let his entire staff (even the new bell-boy) join me at the dinner table while he sat upstairs to take care of business. He later joined us and we enjoyed a beer (or 6) together. It said a lot about the man and gave me insight into why the staff functions so much like a family... a family they want you to join and enjoy. I will recommend the Charming to anyone looking to really experience Vietnam and its most valuable resource - its warm, kind people. I look forward to my next stay at the Charming!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2011

This is my first review (I haven't even been on the forum yet as someone still has all my notes). I'll start off by telling you that the management asked if I would provide a review for them. Don't worry about any link with them you think I may have (read on and you'll be better able to judge) - I said I would because I realise TA is a two way process. If no one writes or answers then there is no TA. I was always going to write about it anyway.
I'm about to start on about the hotel, so for all of you who are cynical about first time reviewers and posters can you take your cynical tablets now, so we can all get started.
The first thing I need to say is that this is not the hotel we had originally booked. When we arrived at that one at about noon they said our rooms wouldn't be ready until about 3pm and that they would like us to go to their 'sister' hotel The Hanoi Charming 2. Normally in situations like this alarm bells start to ring out. Strangely though they didn't seem to ring that loud and we found ourselves accepting that we would look at the other hotel. When we got there they showed us a room whose bedroom had no windows. My friend who had booked our rooms at the original hotel specifically with a city view told them there was no way we were accepting rooms like this one. We were then shown rooms 501 and 601. Our decision on these was made in moments - yes we would accept these. Everything is new at the hotel so there was no grubbiness to the bedrooms. I had one of those internal ' oh, this is nice' feelings.
The bedrooms are very spacious. You couldn't feel claustrophobic in one if you tried. They had a flat screen tv and free internet access which was very handy. The ones ending in 01 also had good sized balconies. I can't speak for the others within the hotel - you would have to check with the hotel about this.
The bathrooms were the standard kind of posh'ish ones you get in a hotel of this standard. Mine had a bath with shower over it and shower curtain so fulfills the requirements of those who favour or have to use one over the other. The shower head was lower than my height though so I had to bend my legs at the knees a little to get under it. There may be a way of raising it because it looked like a bit of high tech equipment with attachments, pull stops etc. I just didn't bother to find out / risk pulling the thing off the wall. The bathrooms are a reasonable size and I had no bother with mine. It's just that when set against the size of the bedrooms it's psychologically odd entering them from the very large bedrooms. However this is (obviously) negated when walking out of them into the airy bedrooms.
If you do decide to choose this hotel get one of the rooms ending in 01 as then you'll get the same type as we had (please note that some on the other corner of the hotel may be identical to these anyway. As I don't know I can only go with what I know). If you go with the 01 ones you will not be disappointed, unless of course that your requirements are dementedly excessive! If you want a better external view obviously choose a higher one. If you have a means of escape thing going on then choose lower. I think (but am not certain) that the very top one is the honeymoon suite. I can't recall hearing external noises from my room so I'd say you'd be safe enough booking the one underneath!
As for the staff, they were permanently attentive and smiling. Not forced smiles either. They all did appear to be happy to help, assist and advise at any time of the day.
There were a few delays at reception where things could have gone quicker. But I'm only talking about 5 minutes. I have no doubt even this low figure will drop as familiarity with their roles kicks in ( I say this because I got the impression it was all new, although I could be wrong).
Breakfast is taken in the basement but there is still a large amount of natural light because this is open to the glazed frontage of the building. The breakfast was a buffet type and there was a very good range which I'm sure would satisfy the majority. One of my friends even had soup every morning. Personally I think eating soup for breakfast would be a cry for help. However I realise that they provided it and he ate it, so maybe it's me that needs locking up!
For those who are still with me and haven't given up the will to live, there's light at the end of the tunnel - I'm on the home straight and will finish soon.
None of us can really say to someone we don't know that you should do this or that. That said, apart from being offered the room with no window initially there really is nothing that can be criticised about this hotel. It works exceptionally well as providing a great springboard from which to go out and explore Hanoi. It also provides the much needed sanctuary and comfort which is needed at the end of the day. Hanoi is as mad as a box of frogs (in a good way) but at the end of the day you need somewhere which provides you with calm. This hotel does this effortlessly.
I will post some forum stuff when I get my notes back, as TA gave me loads of pleasure in the weeks before the holiday

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank KON1965
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Amazing. Perfect. If your number one asset is your staff then this is the best hotel in Hanoi. We could gush all day about how great it was suffice to say you cannot go wrong by staying here. We got back from Sapa at 5am after being recommended this hotel - with no booking (and no extra charge for early check in, breaky included) we rocked up at the lobby to be greeted like family and from there it only got better. Personally taken up to our room, heater turned on, wet dirty clothes & shoes were whisked away to be cleaned. Breakfast was a definite highlight and service continued to be sensational. Brand new Computer with free Internet in your room. The staff couldn't do enough for us to the point where they came out for drinks and a meal!! Staff interaction made this stay a highlight for us. The only downside is now we judge every hotel on these high standards!